Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3785 3786 [3787] 3788 3789 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9463540 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56790 on: December 20, 2012, 04:12:47 am »

And the US is already at war. In fact I don't think I can recall a time when we have not been at war.

https://www.upworthy.com/daymn-how-many-years-has-america-been-at-war-since-1776

That's how much the U.S. has technically been "at war".  I think there has been one single year in all of U.S. history that it wasn't actively involved in some sort of military conflict.  I was going to fact check that, but it turned out not quickly do-able, so this is from memory of looking into this question years ago.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56791 on: December 20, 2012, 06:39:46 am »

Oh man I made a presentation about audio devices and amps etc. and totally failed to make an Up To Eleven joke D:

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #56792 on: December 20, 2012, 08:02:01 am »

This week has been pretty bad for me. First I learned I'm scheduled to work next week during my D&D time, and I can't switch hours with anyone since it's a holiday job and I don't know anyone there, and I haven't been scheduled since Black Friday, so I can't really talk to anyone even if I wanted to. I eventually resigned myself to this, thinking, at least I have this week to play.

Then the asshole blizzard from Texas or Colorado or wherever comes in to say, "hey bro, I see you like your game nights. Why don't I come in and shit snow all over your general vicinity and ruin that for you?"

But, frankly, I'm a big boy, I can handle a few missed game nights. No, that's not what brought me to the sad thread.

You see, this week had more shit in store. As my mother was out doing some errands yesterday (because the blizzard wasn't truly due to arrive until midnight yesterday) some asshole, apparently not realizing that it's winter and the roads are slick as fuck (or possibly being an idiot panicking about the blizzard, somehow thinking it's a good idea to rush to avoid the blizzard) rear-ended her. Her car was totaled, and they had to use the Jaws of Life to get her out. She broke her knees and dislocated her hip, and I think maybe there was some other stuff, though fortunately she didn't suffer anything life-threatening and hopefully it's nothing permanently debilitating. I haven't gone to see her because she was in another town (with a pretty good hospital), and, due to the weather and this incident, I'm not eager to be traveling at the moment, and, anyway, she was transferred to Madison not to shortly after, apparently to the hospital where one of my sisters works, so she was able to visit with her and tell me how she's doing.

One of the horrible parts of this experience is that, when my mom was doing her errands, she asked me if I wanted to come with, and I keep wondering if there was something I could have done to prevent this happening, even though the fact of the matter is is that I don't have health insurance, if I had been there when this had happened, it could have just as easily made the whole situation a lot worse.

Also, all this is on top of my on-going insomnia that is not helped one bit by blizzard warning texts with weird ringtones that blare at four in the morning.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56793 on: December 20, 2012, 12:02:50 pm »

No, because won't a prediction upon the future.
So what if I told oyu the world is going to end today?
what would you say?
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56794 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21:19 pm »

No, because won't a prediction upon the future.
So what if I told oyu the world is going to end today?
what would you say?

I personally would say that it is a highly improbable prediction. Then I'd ask for evidence.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #56795 on: December 20, 2012, 12:43:42 pm »

Just bought and installed Dungeon Keeper 2 and Theme Hospital...

...and I have cell biochemistry exam tomorrow D:

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #56796 on: December 20, 2012, 02:33:43 pm »

I could have bought that one as well, but I decided to not buy the whole bundle to save some cash.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56797 on: December 20, 2012, 03:05:29 pm »

Just bought and installed Dungeon Keeper 2 and Theme Hospital...

...and I have cell biochemistry exam tomorrow D:
DK 2 is nowhere near as good as DK 1, IMO
But...but...Disco Inferno!

Looking at the list of Bullfrog games made me realize that the world needs a Magic Carpet 3:'(
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:10:38 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56798 on: December 20, 2012, 03:09:28 pm »

@Kadzar: You can't afford to think like that, man. Shit happens. If you go through all the shit that gets dumped on you or others and think, "Hey, maybe this shit would have been less shitty if I had been there to stop it from shitting in the first place", you're just making the shit shittier.

Just support her as best you can and hope she recovers quickly. It's all you can do. And for what it's worth, I (random internet person) hope she gets better soon, too. :)

My sad: I am sad at missing the big dramasplosion in the Sad Thread. I am also sad to see so many members of my preferred intellectual internet community convinced humans are somehow more than animals. D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56799 on: December 20, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »

Yeah, if there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that "what-if" scenarios regarding the past are a complete waste of time.
Enjoyable diversions if you're talking grand scenarios like "What if the Roman Empire had met the Chinese Empire?"
Bad mojo when you're talking things like "What if I had said/done something differently?"

Because no amount of brainpower invested in such an exercise is going to create a temporal anomaly and let you change the past.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56800 on: December 20, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »

At least not without the correct application of applicable SCIENCE!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56801 on: December 20, 2012, 03:46:27 pm »

Sweet, magical SCIENCE!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56802 on: December 20, 2012, 03:56:32 pm »

It can help you learn what to do in the future however.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56803 on: December 20, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »

Enjoyable diversions if you're talking grand scenarios like "What if the Roman Empire had met the Chinese Empire?"
They did meet. Both the Romans and the Chinese had tales of a prosperous far-off land with an exotic name, and strange but very moral people. Both of the names were corrupted versions of the other's. There was some limited trade between the two, though it went through a very large middleman.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56804 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »

They did meet. Both the Romans and the Chinese had tales of a prosperous far-off land with an exotic name, and strange but very moral people. Both of the names were corrupted versions of the other's. There was some limited trade between the two, though it went through a very large middleman.
Sudden Idea for a fiction novel.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 3785 3786 [3787] 3788 3789 ... 8167