Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3781 3782 [3783] 3784 3785 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9461595 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56730 on: December 19, 2012, 07:12:53 pm »

The opposite. When an animal (including humans) is in pain, it will secrete something that will pollute the muscles and make it less tasty and more strong. Most of that "bad meat" is dumped, or discounted. That's why in the old times, they tried to cut the throat of an animal, so that muscles were left in state.
It could be probably avoided if slaughterhouse were more efficient, but considering the huge production of meat animals, nearly nobody cares.
Musta' been something else, then. Pretty sure there's something about the way factory-farm type things are set up that improves meat quality... somehow. Might not have been pain, per se, but something else. Forget the details, bleh.

vvvv
Might have been it!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:24:00 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #56731 on: December 19, 2012, 07:22:39 pm »

In a lot of factory farms the animals are prevented from moving so their meat stays tender.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56732 on: December 19, 2012, 07:51:07 pm »

First off, because that assumes we're the most important thing in the universe.  We're not.  We're just another inhabitant.  So I believe. 

1: No, I just think that humans should care more about humans, the same way I think that chickens should care more about chickens and slugs to care more about slugs. More proof that you are just a spy from the chickens here to ruin our way of life. SHOW ME YOUR FEATHERS

Secondly, that's not the point I was making.  I'm saying that if some people believe it's okay to draw a line between humans and animals (therefore allowing us to put thier suffering as lower than our own/test on them/eat them/etc.), then those people have to be okay with the idea that some other life (which is sufficiently more advanced than humanity) in the universe can draw a line between themselves and humanity (therefore allowing said other life to put human suffering as lower than their own/test on humans/eat humans/etc.). 

What would that even mean? I think chickens are less important for two reasons, the most important one is that they are so far below us that there is a very important line there. The chicken can't really conceive of the future or the world. The basic things that we think of as thinking are just something that it can't do. Your question as MSH pointed out barely makes sense. And even if there are higher life forms that can think on levels we can't even think of... Well. No. A chicken can't care about me, or even other chickens. I can care about other humans. I am simply a higher life form that deserves more respect, and hell, maybe the hypothetical alien does deserve some form of respect we can't even think of, so maybe it should get that. But I would not be able to give it to it because I am too lowly.

In that case there would be a line between us as you describe, but it would not give me it the rights over me that I have over chickens, I'm not lowering chickens to some worthless nothing, I'm raising humans. Another thing raised would not lower me.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56733 on: December 19, 2012, 07:57:32 pm »

your assuming humans are in the grand shcme of things "special" for all we know we could be the bottom of some lies forms planet, our kind would be like bugs or micro life.

What if to them WE are chickens, yes we feel, maybe they do something more that like chickens we cant even begun to think of, in which case by your logic we should be chickens to them.
your acting like there is something that makes us "better" and "worth keeping" and while this may be truth on earth and may be a joke on other planets.
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56734 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58:47 pm »

your assuming humans are in the grand shcme of things "special" for all we know we could be the bottom of some lies forms planet, our kind would be like bugs or micro life.

What if to them WE are chickens, yes we feel, maybe they do something more that like chickens we cant even begun to think of, in which case by your logic we should be chickens to them.
your acting like there is something that makes us "better" and "worth keeping" and while this may be truth on earth and may be a joke on other planets.
Maybe there are things they do that we can't grasp.
Doesn't matter.
I care more about humans because humans are humans, as am I.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56735 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58:47 pm »

I believe this is true. Exactly, if they're more advanced than us, so be it.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56736 on: December 19, 2012, 08:00:02 pm »

So is it okay to kill dogs?
Cats?
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56737 on: December 19, 2012, 08:00:10 pm »

Did you actually read my post Wolfy?

Not only are your comments incorrect, but they were all answered in my previous post.

Also I thought you were that ultra conservative religious guy, I am shocked that you don't agree. Which sorta makes me feel bad about my own argument.

To answer your question above this post: Of course not. It's a lesser tragedy then humans dying though. Not to mention we don't eat cats and dogs.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:02:02 pm by Criptfeind »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56738 on: December 19, 2012, 08:00:52 pm »

Cats?
Yes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56739 on: December 19, 2012, 08:01:28 pm »

This is Bay12. Killing cats is not only acceptable, but expected.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56740 on: December 19, 2012, 08:03:07 pm »

Cats?
Yes.

Not in our culture. At least the culture I am going to guess you are part of based on the demographic flags in your sig.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56741 on: December 19, 2012, 08:05:02 pm »

Cats?
Yes.

Not in our culture. At least the culture I am going to guess you are part of based on the demographic flags in your sig.
Heh. I live in the country. The runt of the litter is usually shot, and any dogs or cats not wanted for herding or mousing are drowned or left at the side of the road. In the culture I live in, it most certainly is okay to kill dogs and cats.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56742 on: December 19, 2012, 08:07:53 pm »

People kill cats and dogs all the time. I don't always agree with the reasons, but I don't really have any inherent issue with the act.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56743 on: December 19, 2012, 08:08:56 pm »

I pretty much had you cut out as... Not that. So I guess that makes sense.

My bad. BLAME THE DEMOGRAPHIC FLAGS

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56744 on: December 19, 2012, 08:09:22 pm »

Cats?

Situational context matters. If you're rearing cats for their meat and leather then I guess you could kill away, as long as you're following whatever laws of animal husbandry/welfare (they're there for good reason usually). If a dog is attacking your family, you shoot it. But running around kicking kittens in the head for no reason is no bueno really. I've got the opinion that 'random' animal abuses should be treated severely and carry heavy repercussions and some srs therapy. Mostly because the ones running around attaching fireworks to dogs are boarding the train to serious and dangerous problem land of abuser and criminal.
Pages: 1 ... 3781 3782 [3783] 3784 3785 ... 8167