Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3770 3771 [3772] 3773 3774 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465429 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56565 on: December 18, 2012, 03:03:57 pm »

OK, I have to ask this now: what is it with these forums? There appears to be an abnormally large number of people who have been abused, are part of the LGBT community, or something else like that.

Is it just that they feel more comfortable talking about it here compared to other forums?
Pretty much. Humanity isn't straight by default, partially because it's a flawed label, partly because it's bull crap.
???  What do you mean?  What is the default preference?  Is this a womb thing?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56566 on: December 18, 2012, 03:06:19 pm »

OK, I have to ask this now: what is it with these forums? There appears to be an abnormally large number of people who have been abused, are part of the LGBT community, or something else like that.

Is it just that they feel more comfortable talking about it here compared to other forums?
Pretty much. Humanity isn't straight by default, partially because it's a flawed label, partly because it's bull crap.
???  What do you mean?  What is the default preference?  Is this a womb thing?
There is no binary sexual orientation system going on here.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #56567 on: December 18, 2012, 03:08:29 pm »

It probably is that people feel more comfortable around here. We have had several major forum members being very open and accepting, notably Vector among others, and that makes a difference. This is one of the first places I shared my childhood horror stories, it just isn't something I normally share.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56568 on: December 18, 2012, 03:08:57 pm »

Binary, no, but a spectrum.  I assume it is more binary because you have to draw clear lines somewhere in order to define it for empherical study definitions.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56569 on: December 18, 2012, 03:18:55 pm »

Less of a spectrum and more of a grid.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56570 on: December 18, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »

We can collapse parts of an n-D (one dimension isn't enough) spectrum onto points/smaller spectrums for the sake of communication; but we have to keep in mind that this is just a simplified representation.
Personally I find the binary system highly useful in day-to-day life: You do encounter some (though not many) people on the homo side of the scale, but the other parts are so rare that unless it becomes necessary/useful it's impractical to mention them each time.

Also, yeah, MoM (what?), you have my sympathies as well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56571 on: December 18, 2012, 03:25:21 pm »

Binary, no, but a spectrum.  I assume it is more binary because you have to draw clear lines somewhere in order to define it for empherical study definitions.
The Ancient Greeks got along fine without definitions of sexuality ^_^

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56572 on: December 18, 2012, 03:28:46 pm »

Humanity in general did, until certain religions got in on the act.
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56573 on: December 18, 2012, 03:31:38 pm »

Humanity in general did, until certain religions got in on the act.
It's a problem of societies. Not of religions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56574 on: December 18, 2012, 03:31:54 pm »

Not again... there's other threads for this.

Back to sadness: I recently found out I have huge gaps in my knowledge and will have to study through the holidays to catch up. I'm kinda scared I won't make it; mathematics has a dropout quote of 50% during the first semester.
I should have worked more when we were actually learning the stuff in the lectures. At least there's scripts of them on the internet.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56575 on: December 18, 2012, 03:39:13 pm »

May as well post it, being vague just makes me look like I'm attention whoring.

Im ashamed of being a member of the human speices now.

Ironically, the biggest flaw of the human being, is its lacking ability to treat other human beings like human beings.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST BE NICE TO EACH OTHERS AND LOVE EACH OTHERS FOR THOSE WE ARE :(
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56576 on: December 18, 2012, 04:01:06 pm »

MDMA and LSD are still illegal, and religion is easily abused.

A pessimist is someone who believes that the world is bad. An optimist is someone who doesn't see why that should matter.
The Bay12 postcard club

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56577 on: December 18, 2012, 04:11:20 pm »

The Ancient Greeks got along fine without definitions of sexuality ^_^
Well, greeks thought only men had a soul (or what defined them as "human"), and thus true love was only between men.
But sexuality was indeed not limited to it (else, there wouldn't be any greek left to tell us).

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56578 on: December 18, 2012, 04:13:20 pm »

A pessimist is someone who believes that the world is bad. An optimist is someone who doesn't see why that should matter.
I've always had a lot of respect for the diehard optimist. Not the delusional type, who lies to themselves about things so things seem better, but the type that will fight to their dying breath to make things better.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56579 on: December 18, 2012, 04:39:37 pm »

Idealism?
Pages: 1 ... 3770 3771 [3772] 3773 3774 ... 8167