Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3767 3768 [3769] 3770 3771 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465342 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56520 on: December 18, 2012, 12:24:13 am »

I think it is/was mainiac's sig.

And yeah, it's a good one too.

Edit:  Today's sad:  Ice King's origin story.  That whole episode had a strangely somber tone to it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:32:04 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56521 on: December 18, 2012, 03:02:39 am »

The residents of Prypiat and half of central and eastern Europe would like to disagree.
3. Meltdowns never happen now as long as correct measures are made.

Well, system failure compounded with human operator error gets you at worst Chernobyl, at best Three Mile Island. And in an emergency, human error is very easy to worm its way in. Also, since most of these things are built and staffed by people well trained and fully aware of what'll happen if they screw up, statistically, the likelihood of catastrophic failure per operating hour is negligible, especially because we've seen what happens when one of these things blows up. Which is why protests against building nuclear power plants are silly.
But on the other hand, if one will go off, it'll leave a mark.
Hell, even assuming everything goes as intended, you're still either stuck importing the fuel, or having all sorts of worried people nosing around in your strategic affairs if you start enriching nuclear fuel on your own.
As for costs, it is, indeed, the initial investment that's the primary deterrent. Over here, with what we've been giving the Russian fuel companies in profit for heating alone ever since the USSR collapsed we could've had that reactor built six times over.

My point is, as PanH so well explained, that it's naive to lob nuclear power (or most any one project) as a panacea for energy problems.

Actually most fourth generators can't melt down. All thorium based reactor, and a significant part of the breeder reactors are completely safe*. Worst thing that can happen is a complete failure of the cooling system. (Which has to be one hell of a failure, considering most modern reactor designs have gravity based cooling) At that point, the core will heat up, and maybe some radioactive steam can escape, but thanks to the fact that thorium has a much higher melting point than uranium, or because of the special design of the nuclear fuel pellets. The core can't overheat. The reaction simply isn't capable of reaching the needed temperature.

Sadly, most nuclear power plants are still of the second generation (Almost all failures are in second generation plants). Speaking of which, did Fukushima do so much damage? Seems to me that any oil tankers/ drill site failures were much, much worse. After all, the coal industry releases more radioactivity in the environement in a year than all nuclear disasters and leakages put together over the entire lifetime on nuclear engineering, and radiation isn't that dangerous once sufficiently dilluted.

Also, the reason that France's reactors were so cheap is that unlikely as in the US, where the reactors are all custom build, these were mass produced. Meaning that all reactors share the same design, which also easily allows for transfer of personnel and parts between facilities.

*Take that with a grain of salt of course.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:12:26 am by 10ebbor10 »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56522 on: December 18, 2012, 03:57:40 am »

That might explain why I can't tell the difference between Cattenom and Tricastin.

I almost mistyped that as cattlenom.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56523 on: December 18, 2012, 04:17:59 am »

YUM NOM CATTLENUM
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56524 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:17 am »

Guess who missed his flight home?

(hint: Starts with an M and rhymes with bee)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56525 on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:50 am »

Mumbabi?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56526 on: December 18, 2012, 09:53:38 am »

I didn't go to jail. Or prison. And I actually got a phone number from a woman. So. That was surprising, to say the least.
That....that....that is like the exact opposite of what is supposed to happen when you end up in court.

Was the woman a judge? If the woman was a judge I can explain this. If not, then you may be a latent psyker.

This woman was NOT a judge. I could explain it, but I'd prefer to go with the assumption that I'm a latent psyker.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56527 on: December 18, 2012, 09:55:48 am »

I didn't go to jail. Or prison. And I actually got a phone number from a woman. So. That was surprising, to say the least.
That....that....that is like the exact opposite of what is supposed to happen when you end up in court.

Was the woman a judge? If the woman was a judge I can explain this. If not, then you may be a latent psyker.

This woman was NOT a judge. I could explain it, but I'd prefer to go with the assumption that I'm a latent psyker.

*Hug the heretic

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56528 on: December 18, 2012, 10:10:04 am »

Goes into court facing prison, comes out of court with a date. YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56529 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:20 am »

Some girls like bad boys.

Plus, Hans is a han(d)some fish. Or maybe mammal.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56530 on: December 18, 2012, 11:03:38 am »

Woo!
* Miauw manhugs Hans.

Also, how the fuck did you do that?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56531 on: December 18, 2012, 12:55:42 pm »

BTW, thanks for all the support guys. I know I'm often lamenting possible jail time, and this time prison time, but I really do appreciate it when ya'll take the time to wish me luck and stuff. As I was walking up to the judge, I thought about all the people wishing me luck, and totally relaxed. Completely. I leaned on the judge's desk with one elbow as he was talking to me. So thanks for that.

Also, I think what happened with the woman, who is another Drug Court 'client' as they so inappropriately label us, is that I was so relaxed and so happy after talking to the judge, that I somewhat overcame my normal shyness issues. I didn't ask for her number, she just kind of gave it to me while I was flirting with her.

Goes into court facing prison, comes out of court with a date. YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT.

And I kind of want to put this into my sig. >.>
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56532 on: December 18, 2012, 01:26:08 pm »

BTW, thanks for all the support guys. I know I'm often lamenting possible jail time, and this time prison time, but I really do appreciate it when ya'll take the time to wish me luck and stuff. As I was walking up to the judge, I thought about all the people wishing me luck, and totally relaxed. Completely. I leaned on the judge's desk with one elbow as he was talking to me. So thanks for that.

Also, I think what happened with the woman, who is another Drug Court 'client' as they so inappropriately label us, is that I was so relaxed and so happy after talking to the judge, that I somewhat overcame my normal shyness issues. I didn't ask for her number, she just kind of gave it to me while I was flirting with her.

And I kind of want to put this into my sig. >.>

I would wish i had that confidence around girls, since i will need that alot, being a girl, when that time comes.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56533 on: December 18, 2012, 01:28:47 pm »

I would wish i had that confidence around girls, since i will need that alot, being a girl, when that time comes.

Perhaps I should put you into touch with my Lesbian Friend. She's got confidence in spades. ::)
He's fucking with us.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56534 on: December 18, 2012, 01:31:34 pm »

What's with the random capitalization?
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 3767 3768 [3769] 3770 3771 ... 8167