Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471618 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56250 on: December 12, 2012, 06:05:08 pm »

Well at least they were only mutilating people after they were dead. Still gross though xD
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56251 on: December 12, 2012, 06:07:28 pm »

Look kaijyuu, do you want to happy, or be hunted by Furies till the end of your days? Then swallow your pride and morality, and get chopping. Zeus demands his foreskins.

Although debateably that's Aphrodite's job.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #56252 on: December 12, 2012, 06:09:25 pm »

I started this thread of the conversation, I prolonged it, and now I want it to end, because it would appear it's beginning to turn ugly.

Bay12 and religion don't tend to go together well.
We treat religion with all the respect it is due.

How would you like it if someone were to cut on your penis without your permission and claim that that its OK because the government said so but they can't point to any evidence the  government said so? Is that an objectively good thing? Is that something you would promote?

Now lets turn it up a notch. If Jews get a religious exception for male genital mutilation, then the Muslims are justified in female genital mutilation.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56253 on: December 12, 2012, 06:10:33 pm »

We treat religion with all the respect it is due.
Coincidentally, I've been reading this page today. Yesterday. Whatever.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56254 on: December 12, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »

Ehhh... I want to avoid such comparisons because female genital mutilation is much worse than male, but yeah; religion doesn't give an excuse to mutilate kids. Period.

I'll gladly do some face slapping over allowing irrevocable damage to be done to people unable to consent to it.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #56255 on: December 12, 2012, 06:12:34 pm »

Now lets turn it up a notch. If Jews get a religious exception for male genital mutilation, then the Muslims are justified in female genital mutilation.
Completely different animal. It's part of traditional Arab culture, but the Koran does not require it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56256 on: December 12, 2012, 06:14:53 pm »

Completely different animal. It's part of traditional Arab culture, but the Koran does not require it.
Wait so kids aren't allowed freedom of religion? Parents can snip bits off because it's "required"?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56257 on: December 12, 2012, 06:17:33 pm »

Blarg!

I'm getting out of this conversation! It's going places I don't like going, where there is no right answer, and I feel perpetually ridiculed, even if I'm not being ridiculed!
I think there's a right answer :P

Anyway greatoder, if you don't like the conversation, ignore it and/or report it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56258 on: December 12, 2012, 06:18:42 pm »

There's no right answer? I'd dispute that; but there doesn't really need to be a right answer for two or more reasonable opinions to form and to make everyone's views understood. It makes the world that much more better y'know?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #56259 on: December 12, 2012, 06:19:04 pm »

That's a valid point, and I can easily see the argument. At the same time, forcing parents not to perform an important cultural ritual (that will be performed at some point if the child joins the religion of his parents) that's far more dangerous later in life strikes me as being too close to the line.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56260 on: December 12, 2012, 06:22:48 pm »

That's a valid point, and I can easily see the argument. At the same time, forcing parents not to perform an important cultural ritual (that will be performed at some point if the child joins the religion of his parents) that's far more dangerous later in life strikes me as being too close to the line.
For me it's the choice between upholding the right to belief at the cost of either risking right to life, or removing the option of choice altogether. The child has no choice in the surgery that will affect him for the rest of his life; and that's not even considering his religious beliefs.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56261 on: December 12, 2012, 06:24:22 pm »

My biggest concern there is that people will probably do it illegally, in back alleys and the like, and that will make it more dangerous.

Understand there's a point where culture can be BAD. Nothing under the umbrella of "culture" can avoid scrutiny; if it harms people without their consent, then it's something that should be done away with.

As for risks with performing it on adults... the risk of the recipient not wanting it outweighs that one, I think.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #56262 on: December 12, 2012, 06:25:27 pm »

My biggest concern there is that people will probably do it illegally, in back alleys and the like, and that will make it more dangerous.

Understand there's a point where culture can be BAD. Nothing under the umbrella of "culture" can avoid scrutiny; if it harms people without their consent, then it's something that should be done away with.

As for risks with performing it on adults... the risk of the recipient not wanting it outweighs that one, I think.

Kaijyuu, you've declared yourself a moral relativist, yes?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #56263 on: December 12, 2012, 06:27:00 pm »

We're not as far apart on the issue as it seems. I simply draw the line in a different place on the rights of parents vs. the rights of the child.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56264 on: December 12, 2012, 06:27:58 pm »

I'm as sympathetic to their religious concerns as I'm sympathetic to those who want to do animal sacrifice. IE, not.
Can we compromise and sacrifice animal foreskins?
Jay Naylor's Better Days did something like this.

...I am a font of useful and useless information. Now on-topic: I am kind of disappointed that it was proven to me just today why I shouldn't start threads - yet again. I should just stick with being the idiot savant I usually am and just share information in other people's threads as it comes along?

...I am sorry about the idiot savant comment. Technically with the wealth of knowledge and occasional lack of common sense I have that is pretty much what I am. I'm too old to be a little professor as Hans Asperger used to say anyways.

Oh, and I'm also disappointed that once again one of these emotion threads has gone off-topic. Then again it is an emotion thread and sometimes people let their emotions get the best of them. I'm not meaning to imply anything disrespectful or malign but I am kind of sick and tired of seeing these threads go off-topic at least once or twice a day.

Not that anything has to change, but it would be nice if irrelevant and nonsensical thinking was purged from these kinds of threads. I apologize if I offend anyone with this kind of thinking I myself am having but I personally believe that honesty is the best policy.
Pages: 1 ... 3749 3750 [3751] 3752 3753 ... 8167