Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3738 3739 [3740] 3741 3742 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471649 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56085 on: December 07, 2012, 09:32:50 pm »

Maybe, but then they published it on the front page of their paper with a sensational headline.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56086 on: December 07, 2012, 09:35:03 pm »

It's the Post. It is literally the Trashy garbage newspaper. The Rags, as my Global teacher calls them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #56087 on: December 07, 2012, 09:59:49 pm »

:/  Someone gets killed by a train and everyone talks about if it's a good idea to take pictures...

He was apparently trying to get the conductor to notice the flash and stop.  I can kind of buy that since it's not really focused on anything.
I don't. I think it's a lame excuse. Why would the flash be interpretated by the driver as "stop"?
I *think* he might not have stopped to think about what he was doing, but he's still an ass, and it's still denial of aid. He might get away scot-free, as apparently in the US this is not a crime.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56088 on: December 07, 2012, 10:17:41 pm »

Well, given what we see in the picture I doubt he would have actually been able to help him in any case.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56089 on: December 07, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »

Can't pass much judgement on the photographer without having been there. The person you can pass a fuck-ton of judgement on would be the ass who set up the cover.
THIS MAN IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED. THANKFULLY WE CAN MAKE MONEY OFF OF HIS DOOM
Not surprising in the least, mind you. Still disgraceful, though.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56090 on: December 07, 2012, 10:52:24 pm »

It's pretty stupid really. It takes nearly thr length of the platfrm to stop. I mean I guess he could have pulled the emergency switch but even that will half about mayeb 1/4 of a platform. And they are bigass platforms.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56091 on: December 07, 2012, 11:24:13 pm »

I just thought the article was decent social commentary.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56092 on: December 08, 2012, 12:37:54 am »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #56093 on: December 08, 2012, 12:47:32 am »

I'm probably going to use all the Christmas money I get this year to buy my friends' Christmas presents. It's bittersweet rather than sad, because I'm happy that I'm going to find a way go get my friends Christmas presents without having much money.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #56094 on: December 08, 2012, 02:04:08 am »

I just did a quick analysis of my income-and-expenses over the last year, and there's about $8000 that I haven't accounted for. God damn it. I could write off 2 or 3 thousand - I've not accounted at all for one-time expenses that weren't frivolous, and there were a lot of them. Maybe another thousand due to the margin of error on my calculations. But that still leaves me with, best case, 4k that I apparently just didn't accomplish anything with. That's baffling. And upsetting.

EDIT: Oh, I had another loan I paid off. That's one more thousand accounted for, but that's not really enough.

Ha ha, I forgot I had to pay for food for an entire year, not just 1 month, nevermind. That just about closes it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:20:12 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56095 on: December 08, 2012, 09:26:42 am »

Today marks the beginning of a long march toward christmas. As of right now, I begin working with no days off until the 24th.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56096 on: December 08, 2012, 10:37:22 am »

I have -just- enough money to take the security license exam to I think just apply to this security guard agency.

If I don't buy anything at all, that is.

And I don't think there is a guarantee that if you take this course and get your license through them, that they will give you a job. :U

I hope I work a little bit more this week :c
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #56097 on: December 08, 2012, 12:28:20 pm »

:/  Someone gets killed by a train and everyone talks about if it's a good idea to take pictures...

He was apparently trying to get the conductor to notice the flash and stop.  I can kind of buy that since it's not really focused on anything.
I don't. I think it's a lame excuse. Why would the flash be interpretated by the driver as "stop"?
I *think* he might not have stopped to think about what he was doing, but he's still an ass, and it's still denial of aid. He might get away scot-free, as apparently in the US this is not a crime.

The most you could call him is a coward. I don't know how I would react in that situation. Probably freeze in panic, or maybe do something stupid like wave and shout for the driver to stop - it's easy to say in hindsight that it clearly would be useless, but you don't make those decisions with a clear head. And, perhaps those things aren't the most admireable things to do, but it certainly wouldn't make me an arse. If the cameraman actually was trying to alarm the driver and not just make a buck, I don't see how there is any basis to call him one either.

The whole thing reminds me of a thing that happen in Stockholm this summer sometime. A drunk fell down on the tracks, the only other person around jumped down after him, took his wallet, and left the man lying unconscious. Now that is a complete degenerate. Fortunately, the man survived when the subway ran half of him over a few minutes later.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56098 on: December 08, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »

~derp derp media is definitely not about exploiting social flaws and making them bigger derp derp have a picture of dead babies the immigrants did it (maybe) derp derp~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56099 on: December 08, 2012, 12:38:16 pm »

The most you could call him is a coward. I don't know how I would react in that situation. Probably freeze in panic, or maybe do something stupid like wave and shout for the driver to stop - it's easy to say in hindsight that it clearly would be useless, but you don't make those decisions with a clear head. And, perhaps those things aren't the most admireable things to do, but it certainly wouldn't make me an arse. If the cameraman actually was trying to alarm the driver and not just make a buck, I don't see how there is any basis to call him one either.

The whole thing reminds me of a thing that happen in Stockholm this summer sometime. A drunk fell down on the tracks, the only other person around jumped down after him, took his wallet, and left the man lying unconscious. Now that is a complete degenerate. Fortunately, the man survived when the subway ran half of him over a few minutes later.
They might haave been able to save him though. There was a story about a guy who tackled a sick guy who felt into the tracks into the little pit in between the actual tracks. If you lie down there, you have a good chance of surviving, allthough you'll be covered in muck, crap, and dirt.
Pages: 1 ... 3738 3739 [3740] 3741 3742 ... 8167