Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3731 3732 [3733] 3734 3735 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9467244 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #55980 on: December 05, 2012, 03:58:49 am »

Of course what most people don't realize is that the golden age was back before the Atlantis Event, when humans were equal, power was clean and you got an apéritif with every meal.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55981 on: December 05, 2012, 06:06:31 am »

Crete had flushing toilets a few hundred years BC...  Also, women's wear that didn't cover the breasts.

And I remember reading somewhere that primitive man spent about 2-3 hours a day "working", and the rest on leisure activities.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want to go back and live in the era before "7" was invented, or before religion instilled in us all the positive values we already had, but I would like to see technology and society advance to the point where we could get back something similar to those little qualities.

Especially the breasts.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55982 on: December 05, 2012, 06:44:51 am »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #55983 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:33 am »

Material science and nutrition has progressed far. Today, even the breasts are better. And leisure time... sometimes, I wonder. Does a 2/3-hour work day stack up to a third of the life span? Sounds to me like it'd almost balance out, in terms of total time. Perhaps a qualitative difference, but again, it's hard to measure dysentery versus stress, y'know? Anyway, it's society/politics keeping us running around 6-8 hours a day, not tech. We've got the tech to work much, much less than we do.

In actual sads, weekend trip thing fucked up my sleeping pattern as... more or less predicted. Multiple nights being kept up past midnight by people chattering buggered it up nice and good. Gonna' take a few days to fix this, and the interim will be fairly miserable :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55984 on: December 05, 2012, 10:47:41 am »

Would you believe it if I told you I cried today. I might be a little over-arousaled, to use a less feminizing military term, but it was personal, for my father.

Welcome to my life. :\

Years of having no friends and no "normal" interests have made me very shy, which of course brings us to your situation now. I have no friends to do stuff with.

Do you live in a vast concrete city? I am sorry for you if it is true, but in these isolated times, nature provides plenty. I truly enjoy watching birds such as DaVinci does, he speaks in his diaries. I hope to breath new fire into our souls one day, though being a small part of the greater good is all that is necessary.

I will share my pain earlier today. It was an outburst like many before it over the countless backs, strained and beaten, of many fathers since the industrialized age beckoned "progress." Where once Americans may have had simpler lives tending land and family, we now serve and industrialized nation, that in the early years did produce much of the good, but now only strains us to keep in line, chokes our world in progressive development, and yet all we really need is food, earth under our feet, and family. Industry can now be mastered by a fraction of the population that our government is telling us must be kept at a ridiculous status quo.

If any of you think these words are insincere, read them again, they are bare, contextless. There is only the isolated glow of our progress before you.
Hey! Industrialization has done much to help the plight of man. Years ago, the times you pine for, you would spend your entier life birthed into your line of work, statistically, almost certainly peasant farmer. Disease would ravage you, customs and religion would bind you, and there is no true pleasure but the promise of a life beyond this, and of the sweet embrace of death. Toil endlessly, no betterment.

I really, REALLY, hate people who think life was better "In the golden age" It was NOT better. It was far worse. Life was, compared to now, approximately equal, your comforts and freedoms lessened. You, live in a unprecedented age in history! More liberal laws reign then any ever seen before! Free to do as you please! Technology prevents early death! Living to fecking 80! Of course, it's "cool" to be "ironic" and cast aside your freedoms in search of something else. Of course, you all have the fortune of beign born into richer nations, so the Romanticized ideal stands before you.

The Myth of the Golden age is probably the most prominient one in our culture, and in fact in may be human nature. To disregard your advances, and pine for what you can understand without thinking. Like a child, longing for what it could deal with, longing for, Ignorance. Blind, empty, ignorance. The Men in the cave, to use Plato's analogy. No. Progress is made. Simple? Humans like the idea of simple. They like it alot. It's not who life works. If we still lived in the backward times you describe, I, Personally, would not be alive today. I'd have died at age 7. I owe my life to the "Industry". Status Quo is preferable to life-ending change. Hell, you live in a era of unprecendented change! You can VOTE. Do you realize what a fucking Luxury that is? You sit there, one of the most PRIVELEGED HUMAN BEINGS IN HISTORY.

Damn it. now I've spent 15 minutes ranting what I meant to spend sleeping. Well, I'll leave it as is. My moral is thus: Do not throw away the products of thousands of years of progress because you think that somehow, life was better without toliet paper. do you know how hard it is to live without toliet paper? FOREVER?

If I may assert, this rant is at the very least needlessly patronizing. I feel that the pseudo nostalgia that coils about a person, longing for an era that they never experienced, doesn't come from some misguided, spoiled, unappreciative ignorance of their own situation, but rather more closely is the simple fact that evolution has not prepared people to live in an industrialized and globalized world like we live in today. People still retain those instincts tied to their stomachs that drive them to eat in excess, yet without those they would still attain the necessary caloric intake to stumble into adulthood quite handily. People still have fears of the dark when the nature of urban development has largely destroyed any natural predators that could conceivably be lying in wait. The nature of society produces sick pathologies from the increasingly indifferent bombardment of media and general damage to the family unit that is all too common.

I think the fact that people all too often feel out of place in this advanced world is the simple byproduct of both cultural and biological expectations (that is, those instinctive feelings ingrained into one) being left in the dust of technological advances.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55985 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:49 am »

Re: Boobs.

Desensitization.

I honestly think you want them to remain covered.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55986 on: December 05, 2012, 11:49:13 am »

Given the time of year, it dawned on me again that even though I'm pushing 32 years old shortly, I can *still* only remember when my brother's and sister's birthdays are in a vague manner (i.e. one is early December, one is early January and I'm not 100% sure which is which, let alone narrow it down to a specific date). 

I guess I feel sad because that seems like something I should have had remembered by now.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55987 on: December 05, 2012, 12:11:13 pm »

I have difficulty remembering the birthdays of my kids. Dont tell my wife. As for her birthday, I have no idea.
This is a blank sig.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55988 on: December 05, 2012, 12:11:26 pm »

I can remember my brother's birthday and mine.

Nobody else's.
I can remember mine, my brother's and my best friend's birthday. The last one because his birthday is one month and a day after mine. And mayby my dad's birthday.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55989 on: December 05, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »

I know the birthdays of all of my direct relatives sans my youngest brother and my stepmom. This is knowlede that I have no plans on using.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #55990 on: December 05, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »

Of course what most people don't realize is that the golden age was back before the Atlantis Event, when humans were equal, power was clean and you got an apéritif with every meal.
Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of. And onto this, Conan, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

Though I'm personally enjoying the modern lack of gigantic all-consuming doom cults.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55991 on: December 05, 2012, 12:33:03 pm »

Though I'm personally enjoying the modern lack of gigantic all-consuming doom cults.
Speak for yourself. I could stand to wade through a waist-high pile of dumb muscle who dared oppose my might and prowess, and my sword and fist.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55992 on: December 05, 2012, 12:59:02 pm »

I'll like living when I do when I've seen that I'll get immortality.

Otherwise, butts.

I'll like it then because then I'll know I was awake at the dawn of real humanity. Or rather, real sentienity. (We need a better "humanity" word for sentience...)

Otherwise, butts, I'll die. :C That'd be bad. For me.

As for remembering birthdays, my family all were born in summer so it all melds together to me. I know Daryll is July 20th, and someone is May 1st? maybe 30th. Someone is June 30th, I think that's my brother. And someone is... july? june? 1st.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55993 on: December 05, 2012, 01:01:14 pm »

Write these things down, people :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55994 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:38 pm »

Doom cults are almost as good as aliens and killer robots.

Though I've never understood why robots would suddenly turn omnicidal upon gaining sentience. If I were a self-aware robot not bound by the Three Laws, I'd probably just go look for some meatsacks people with a robot fetish. Maybe get some booze and mix it with petrol.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 3731 3732 [3733] 3734 3735 ... 8167