Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3714 3715 [3716] 3717 3718 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473735 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #55725 on: November 24, 2012, 02:10:12 am »

Trust me, many many people in the world don't have any better idea than you do. What I've learned is that you should make a small-ish goal, and then a loftier goal based on completing that first goal, and so forth.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #55726 on: November 24, 2012, 02:21:22 am »

I've finished so many Slice Of Life Animes I'm fearing there may not be any more out there.

I've watched
>Azumanga
>Ranma 1/2
>Ika Masume
>Nichijou

Hmm... When I list them it doesn't feel like so many. Still, anyone have any suggestions for what I should watch next?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55727 on: November 24, 2012, 02:31:59 am »

Ergo Proxy. Best slice of life anime.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #55728 on: November 24, 2012, 03:52:27 am »

I've been developing a nihilist attitude since the dawn of September. I mean, why try to find love when you know it's just going to end someday, maybe 1 or 2 years? Why waste investing time on hollow things that just simply disappear if popped too hard?

Why try to keep pushing onwards, if onwards is really just going deeper into the rabbit hole without any profit of any form?

Something like this?

More seriously, I have trouble relating.  There's always more to do, and there's no reason to compare happiness to happiness.  There will be ups and downs throughout life, but without that life would be a meaningless white noise.  There's also no reason to think that one high is a down just because it isn't the highest high.

Personally, I have goals, but they're vaguely defined.  They're not things that are ever really going to be finished, but they are things that grant me plenty of opportunity at any point in time to look back and see how far I've come.  There will always be more art to create and to collect.  For example, my music collection alone is a process that I expect to take decades just to catch up.  I want to perfectly tag, rate, and organize everything into playlists that dynamically generate for any occasion with complete album art, band and album history/trivia, lyrics, etc.  I've only accomplished parts of this process for a varying portions of my growing library, and I get some satisfaction every time I take a step back and look at how it's progressed. 

More important than having things to work towards is the knowledge that I'll never run out of things to experience in this world, and I really want to experience it all.  It's not so much about identifying things that I'll enjoy and going and doing them.  It's about reality being inconceivably vast, and your personal growth as an infinite process of mapping out that vastness insignificant piece by insignificant piece.  Every experience, good or bad, adds a little bit to that map, and the size of that map is the completeness of your life.  In my opinion, this is the thing that you should be able to reflect on and take satisfaction in.  The size of the whole, not the quality of the highlight reel.

My sad:  I was dragged along to a party thrown by my wife's classmate friend, when I'd just began to feel like I was recovering from the social exhaustion of the past weekend.  This is the first time I've met her and I didn't know anybody there.  They spent the whole night playing a game I was totally uninterested in (Cards Against Humanity:  basically a one-dimensional "adult" humor generator).  Classmate's husband is an Afghanistan veteran who made frequent comments throughout the night, weakly presented as humor, about how the entire population of Afghanistan needs to be wiped out because they're all savages.  Thankfully, I was able to get away with spending 3/4 of the event napping, playing Sil, and taking care of the kids.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55729 on: November 24, 2012, 06:51:29 am »

I've finished so many Slice Of Life Animes I'm fearing there may not be any more out there.

I've watched
>Azumanga
>Ranma 1/2
>Ika Masume
>Nichijou

Hmm... When I list them it doesn't feel like so many. Still, anyone have any suggestions for what I should watch next?

There are seriously uncountable slice of life shows.

Karne, recommend any/all of these (I recommend just picking one at random and going in blind to heighten the fun and avoid spoilers). Some are funny, some are more towards drama/comedy. If you want something just totally nutty and episodic like Ika musume and Nichijou, i recommend Milky Holmes, Yuru Yuri on this list, and Denpa Onna + Mawaru Penguindrum for comedy/dramas with lunatic characters.

I guess I'll be checking out Ergo Proxy myself. Although I'm not sure how relevant that is to Karnewarrior's request, since it would seem to include every possible genre except "slice of life"
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:17:27 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55730 on: November 24, 2012, 06:54:45 am »

Oh man, just read volumes 7 and 8 of The Walking Dead back-to-back. Amazing.
The whole series is just an emotional rollerc- no, that metaphor is too weak. It's a series of emotial sledgehammer blows to the spinal column, how's that work? :D But yes, at some points I was in tears. That's a big deal for me. At other points I was so filled with utter, seething hatred that it kinda scared me that this ink on paper could have such power.

A more meta sad, though: I can't get the later volumes through the library. :'( Looks like I'm gonna have to shell out to start buying them again... Alas. I cannot possibly go without, so I'm going to have to, definitely.
Maybe it's time to get a job to support my love of comics...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55731 on: November 24, 2012, 07:09:34 am »

Well shit.

I occasionally get bouts of self loathing. I'll focus on one flaw of mine and blow it out of proportion. However, since it IS always an actual flaw of mine, I can't just push it away as irrational. So I'll go back and forth in my mind from hating myself and rationalizing it away as "not that bad."

Today's flavor is particularly bitter: I'm not sure I'm long-term dating material. I don't think I'm very "fun," nor do I feel myself very valuable outside of giving care and affection. I can be a good emotional support, but can I make someone's life exciting and interesting as well? I'm a "nice guy" without the manipulation or entitlement.

I actually would like to play the support role. I could see myself as a househusband or something along those lines someday. But I wonder if I'm *too* passive. Once the initial fire of a relationship dies, will I be boring and dull? I don't know.

This is bitter to me because I'm currently seeking a relationship with someone, and rather long term. I want to impress her and all that, but I don't see myself offering much. We have fun together, but I'm usually trying desperately to think of things to do with her, and coming up blank. It's the "what do you wanna do? I dunno, what do you want to do?" of relationships it seems >.> I realize I don't have to be Prince Charming and lead her off to magical happyland (that's probably her role), but I want to offer something too, ya know?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #55732 on: November 24, 2012, 07:14:33 am »

Oh man, just read volumes 7 and 8 of The Walking Dead back-to-back. Amazing.
The whole series is just an emotional rollerc- no, that metaphor is too weak. It's a series of emotial sledgehammer blows to the spinal column, how's that work? :D But yes, at some points I was in tears. That's a big deal for me. At other points I was so filled with utter, seething hatred that it kinda scared me that this ink on paper could have such power.

A more meta sad, though: I can't get the later volumes through the library. :'( Looks like I'm gonna have to shell out to start buying them again... Alas. I cannot possibly go without, so I'm going to have to, definitely.
Maybe it's time to get a job to support my love of comics...

Does that include #100 yet?   That one.... that one cut deep.  Like actually got to me.  The series had plenty of shocker moments leading up to that and emotional rollercoaster stuff, but #100 is the point at which I actually had serious trouble turning the page and dwelt on it for a couple days.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55733 on: November 24, 2012, 07:21:48 am »

Nope, apparently the latest I'm up to is #48. I remember you mentioning #100 once before, though.
I am very pleased at the realization just how much longer the series goes for. :D And apparently it's just as hard-hitting later on. Man, can't wait til payday! Perhaps I'll make it that I buy one volume a fortnight...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55734 on: November 24, 2012, 09:47:01 am »

Well shit.

I occasionally get bouts of self loathing. I'll focus on one flaw of mine and blow it out of proportion. However, since it IS always an actual flaw of mine, I can't just push it away as irrational. So I'll go back and forth in my mind from hating myself and rationalizing it away as "not that bad."

Today's flavor is particularly bitter: I'm not sure I'm long-term dating material. I don't think I'm very "fun," nor do I feel myself very valuable outside of giving care and affection. I can be a good emotional support, but can I make someone's life exciting and interesting as well? I'm a "nice guy" without the manipulation or entitlement.

I actually would like to play the support role. I could see myself as a househusband or something along those lines someday. But I wonder if I'm *too* passive. Once the initial fire of a relationship dies, will I be boring and dull? I don't know.

This is bitter to me because I'm currently seeking a relationship with someone, and rather long term. I want to impress her and all that, but I don't see myself offering much. We have fun together, but I'm usually trying desperately to think of things to do with her, and coming up blank. It's the "what do you wanna do? I dunno, what do you want to do?" of relationships it seems >.> I realize I don't have to be Prince Charming and lead her off to magical happyland (that's probably her role), but I want to offer something too, ya know?

Oh hi me, minus the 'going out with a girl' part.

Damn it, lack of social experience due to being an out of school youth has made me gynophobic (in one sense).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55735 on: November 24, 2012, 11:02:46 am »

I just finished Telltale's The Walking Dead game. What the fuck? I don't remember if I ever cried like this over the ending of a video game. How the hell I'm gonna play FPS games with lousy stories now?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55736 on: November 24, 2012, 11:45:52 am »

Simple. I make you a deal - you beat the next crappy FPS, or I kill a puppy on my webcam.

Think of the puppies!

narkamorel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55737 on: November 24, 2012, 11:59:30 am »

Ah, the feeling you get when you're somewhere halfway between sitting and lying down on the bed/cushion assembly you've made for yourself, under a blanket, and enjoying anime, and then you realize it's the last episode. Kinda nervous at the start, but after the opening ends you're focused back into it. Thankfully, this one pulled it rather gracefully, leaving not much unpleasant, except this lingering sense of emptiness. I used to rage at the creators at this point when I started, but they tend to run out of material, or other things happen... Oh well. Wonder which one I should start next?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #55738 on: November 24, 2012, 12:05:42 pm »

I've been developing a nihilist attitude since the dawn of September. I mean, why try to find love when you know it's just going to end someday, maybe 1 or 2 years? Why waste investing time on hollow things that just simply disappear if popped too hard?

Why try to keep pushing onwards, if onwards is really just going deeper into the rabbit hole without any profit of any form?
Just want to chime in that I've been mostly running off curiosity for better than a decade. There's always some new combination of concepts to look at or prod around, even if they're largely the same as other ones. Don't need some kind of grand attempt at making an impact or doing something important, personally (I internalized nihilism re: objective or [non-small scale] meaningful worth when I was like, twelve :P Dust to dust, et al.). Just something neat to poke at, and there's plenty of that running around. Gets me up in the morning, y'know? Incredible value dissonance with most of the local/national culture, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55739 on: November 24, 2012, 12:18:36 pm »

the end matters not, only the journey to it.
debatable.  But the experience gained while living a life of love and never giving up will be invaluable.  Nihilists forget that although we are too small to matter, we have the ability to alter our own realities to make us happy.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3714 3715 [3716] 3717 3718 ... 8167