Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3693 3694 [3695] 3696 3697 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447727 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #55410 on: November 14, 2012, 05:48:25 pm »

I dunno, the state of such things over here is pretty worthy of the thread IMO.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55411 on: November 14, 2012, 05:49:12 pm »

Just because humanity is what it is is no reason to be a misanthrope! Sure, most people are absolutely terrible, fucked up balls of negative qualities, but I don't hate bees because they sting!

Instead, be amazed that a few people occasionally manage to rise above it. Are we to hate the kimberlite that contains diamonds? Rather, we should appreciate it as a sign of what is possible.
So you don't want to hear about my new bumper sticker that says "HUMANITY SUCKS" that I just got as a gift?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55412 on: November 14, 2012, 05:57:19 pm »

More and more, I find that the world is full of reasonable people doing things that happen to hurt people, usually by accident.  Usually, the reasons why they do things make sense.  I used to be a misanthrope, but nowadays I'm just tired and am starting to feel there's very few things it's actually worth judging people over.

I think I'm getting old.  There's a lot more (smile) lines on my face than there used to be, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55413 on: November 14, 2012, 06:21:45 pm »

I'll agree that people rarely intend to do harm, and when they do do it intentionally they do it with the thought that it's somehow for the greater good. There's a few people with really demented mentalities out there, but they're generally in the minority. Like I said, I generally try not to hold it against people for doing the kind of stuff that irritates me (I do have a lot of pet peeves, and not all of them are entirely reasonable). Of course that doesn't stop me getting irritated with people... I get along just fine with most of humanity as long as I don't have to deal with them too much...

Also don't talk to me about feeling old. I'm 21, and it feels like I'm well past my expiration date... Seriously, search the forums there's got to be at least a dozen posts over the last few years of me saying how old I feel.

EDIT: So finally after more than a little procrastination, one of my parents sat down with me and took at look at signing up for courses... After five minutes of my father looking it over and finally admitting he really didn't know what he was doing, he finally said we should talk to a counsellor, which is something I've been trying to do for a weeks, but my parents were insisting we could sort it all out without talking to one... Meanwhile I've sort of been quietly freaking out every time the subject is raised.

Ye gods, why does this stuff scare the shit out of me so much?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:16:05 pm by Pnx »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #55414 on: November 14, 2012, 09:48:23 pm »

More and more, I find that the world is full of reasonable people doing things that happen to hurt people, usually by accident.  Usually, the reasons why they do things make sense.  I used to be a misanthrope, but nowadays I'm just tired and am starting to feel there's very few things it's actually worth judging people over.

I think I'm getting old.  There's a lot more (smile) lines on my face than there used to be, too.

ditto?

This of course does not apply to the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles), though. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure their branches are located in the first circle of Hell. All of them.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55415 on: November 14, 2012, 10:47:32 pm »

ditto?

This of course does not apply to the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles), though. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure their branches are located in the first circle of Hell. All of them.
Here, at least, the DMV is actually part of the Secretary of State now. After the merge, it takes about 25-45 minutes in line, tops, and you can do most stuff online.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #55416 on: November 15, 2012, 05:39:25 am »

I think people serve their egos, and this is both a good and bad thing.  This is mainly done by aligning behavior with values absorbed from one's environment.  Everybody wants to define themselves as a "good person", but everyone has a different definition of what that is.

Good:  Because it means that everybody actually is trying, no matter how much it may seem otherwise.

Bad:  Because this is also why people can be so unreasonable.  Values are deeply felt and rarely consciously chosen.  People choose to ignore information that conflicts with their values, because there lies the threat that they will be convinced to make conscious decisions that will conflict with their currently felt values.  So when you have an argument with someone who is particularly obstinate in the face of all evidence, it's not about the stubborn desire to win.  It's the threat of transforming into someone who will hold a different set of values, who by their current set of values would not be the good person that believe themselves to be by definition of the values they still hold in that moment.

Good:  Because when you approach disagreement with this in mind, working things out is much easier.

At least that's my mildly optimistic theory of people.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55417 on: November 15, 2012, 02:46:57 pm »

So I've got to study up on some maths. Which is difficult because I have no idea how to get myself to actually sit down and do it... I know I can if I try, but it's so frigging hard to get myself to try.

There's got to be some kind of trick to this.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55418 on: November 15, 2012, 03:49:42 pm »

I used to find the most boring place I could find when I needed to concentrate on something.  Usually the library for me.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55419 on: November 15, 2012, 03:50:50 pm »

I used to find the most boring place I could find when I needed to concentrate on something.  Usually the library for me.   :P
This. I can not study unnless there's absolutely no physical option but doing it. I usually do it on a park bench near my house.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55420 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:33 pm »

I scored a 32 on my algebra test, and I've had a failing grade for one of the first times of my life. That's what's made me sad today.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55421 on: November 15, 2012, 03:59:47 pm »

This. I can not study unnless there's absolutely no physical option but doing it. I usually do it on a park bench near my house.
Well the trouble is that when I'm out and about alone I usually wind up getting anxious because I'm outside of my comfort zone. Which makes it rather difficult to study. I tried hanging out with a friend and doing it but my only friend in the vicinity is a really bad studying companion.

There's also the trouble that even when I'm in my comfort zone, and I've removed all distractions, it often doesn't stop me just staring into space thinking about something else. I have a really lazy brain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55422 on: November 15, 2012, 10:11:55 pm »

Wife wants a divorce. Part of me is devastated, part of me is relieved. Gonna be a whole lot of fucking headaches to it either way.
*sigh*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #55423 on: November 15, 2012, 10:18:59 pm »

Wife wants a divorce. Part of me is devastated, part of me is relieved. Gonna be a whole lot of fucking headaches to it either way.
*sigh*
:-[

Yiiiikes. This is... News. Awful, awful news. I'm so sorry to hear this, man. I really am. I know that's not worth much, but Christ, I'm sorry.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55424 on: November 15, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »

*sigh*
Holy shit, bro. It's a fucking headache, that's for sure. If you need a shoulder, let me know. I feel for you, I really do.

Also, I hate to say this (sorry, Truean), but consult a lawyer. The paperwork is a fucking nightmare, even if it's an amicable split.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:24:28 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 3693 3694 [3695] 3696 3697 ... 8167