Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3690 3691 [3692] 3693 3694 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447063 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #55365 on: November 13, 2012, 05:10:52 pm »

So I played "Of Orcs And Men" which is a game that fits the genre I like to call "grunge fantasy", which is basically like regular high fantasy except it's all grim-dark and everyone swears a lot. It was one of those things that I really wanted to like, it had a lot of potential, but it fell flat on it's face. The gameplay mechanics were pretty badly screwed up, the voice acting on a lot of the characters was wooden, and it suffered from a case of "fun setting/premise, bad writing". So yeah, it was sort of a depressing disappointment for me.

I also just read through the "Why don't women like nice guys?" thread, which kind left me thinking a lot about romance stuff... and then friendship stuff... *sigh* I'm not feeling optimistic about the way those departments are going to work out.

Also I stepped on a piece of glass... This hasn't been a fun day.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55366 on: November 13, 2012, 08:34:25 pm »

So about a month and a half ago, a girl I've known since kindergarten starts talking to me. Naturally, as a socially awkward male, when a girl talks to you, it means something more than "lets talk". A week or so we talked, just casual stuff. Then she invited herself to my house. Something along the lines of "Hey, I really don't want to go to the homecoming dance, can I hang out at your place until its over?" I just assumed she just wanted to come over and hang out with me. So things over the course of two weeks got more and more serious. At one point she said she had a crush on me for a little less than a year. to me thats a long time. with this knowledge i felt safe in the idea that she genuinely liked me and wanted to be in a relationship..

She just now told me how she's not ready for a relationship and all this shit which basically boils down to "i made a mistake, sorry for all the bad feels, talk to you later" I should know better than to open up to people. It just leads to pain.

I had to put this down somewhere, and where else other than the "things that made you sad" thread.

Cheers all around.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55367 on: November 13, 2012, 08:36:45 pm »

Well shit, that's horrible ricky D:
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55368 on: November 13, 2012, 09:23:32 pm »

I totally thought that was "horribly ricky" and started wondering if there is some sort of new slang re: Rick Perry or Santorum.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #55369 on: November 13, 2012, 10:05:10 pm »

So about a month and a half ago, a girl I've known since kindergarten starts talking to me. Naturally, as a socially awkward male, when a girl talks to you, it means something more than "lets talk". A week or so we talked, just casual stuff. Then she invited herself to my house. Something along the lines of "Hey, I really don't want to go to the homecoming dance, can I hang out at your place until its over?" I just assumed she just wanted to come over and hang out with me. So things over the course of two weeks got more and more serious. At one point she said she had a crush on me for a little less than a year. to me thats a long time. with this knowledge i felt safe in the idea that she genuinely liked me and wanted to be in a relationship..

She just now told me how she's not ready for a relationship and all this shit which basically boils down to "i made a mistake, sorry for all the bad feels, talk to you later" I should know better than to open up to people. It just leads to pain.

I had to put this down somewhere, and where else other than the "things that made you sad" thread.

Cheers all around.
Jesus, man.

I don't have a sad but I do like to post here from time to time to help the sad people feel better.
Here's a Feel Better for you guys.

I guess maybe I'm sad that I don't really get sad, but that's recursive which makes me happy. I've had a pretty awesome life and I intend to make sure it continues.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55370 on: November 13, 2012, 10:09:58 pm »

I discovered that my pocket flashlight is bright enough that if I stick it in my mouth light comes out of my eye socket.

Now my eyes won't stop hurting. :(

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55371 on: November 13, 2012, 10:11:07 pm »

I discovered that my pocket flashlight is bright enough that if I stick it in my mouth light comes out of my eye socket.

Now my eyes won't stop hurting. :(
My mom calls that the Tax on Fools.

Cheers all around.
I don't even have anything to say right now, other then how much I wish I could genuinely help. Not internet help, actual help. I am just dripping sympathy. I could easily be in that situation. As a Narcissist, let me tell you something. I feel for you, as if you were myself. Go off nd live a happy life witht that knowledge.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #55372 on: November 13, 2012, 10:15:38 pm »

my grandmother, from my mother's side, passed away 3 weeks ago. she was ran over by a car. she was in perfect health, in fact, this had been a great year for her, she was happier and looked younger than she'd ever been in the last 10 years. there was a time when we feared for her life, but now we were expecting her to stay with us for another 20 years. we could only take confort that her death was quick and hopefully painless. we were all taken by surprise, and she was a great person, loved by all who knew her. it was a very hard loss. this sunday, as we were all commenting on how it was time to pick up the pieces of our shattered hearts and move on with our lives, we got news from my grandfather; there had been an accident. he is one of the coldest, least emotional people i know, he was very disturbed and wasn't able to tell us the full story by the phone, he just told us he was comming our way to talk with us. i spent the next half hour convincing my mother,who was screaming in panic, that my father wasn't dead. it was just too ridiculous, too terrible to be true. i was wrong.

a few years back, my father put together a small company, at first i was helping him with it, but i had little interest in his trade and went on to college to study fine arts, since then he had hired a couple of emplyees fresh out of highschool, and the company had moderate sucess for a few years and we were optimist for the future, but it was a high risk business, manufacturing very speciffic equipment out of highly expensive materials for a relativelly small proffit, and when one of his biggest clients faced with bankrupcy fled the country owing my father almost a hundred thousand euros, most of which he needed to pay his suppliers, it set us back severelly, and my father had been struggling for years to keep the company afloat. with two sons in college, and a third son almost there, my father was forced to look for better paying jobs abroad. he had been in angola for almost a year now, we had barelly seen him since. he was alone, living in poor conditions, working sometimes 20 hours a day. he wanted to come to my grandmother's funeral, but the trip was expensive and he'd lose work, besides, he was already comming for good this christmas, and the debts were almost payed...
last sunday morning, he was asked to take a look at something at a power central that was going to start functioning the next day, somebody forgot to turn something off. he was electrocuted with a stupid ammount of voltage and sent flying across the room. before he even touched anything, just by walking on the wrong part of the room. i like to think he was dead before he hit the floor. i'm happy my grandmother died two weeks before, she loved that man like her own son. we all loved him too

he was a stern but kind man. i'm having trouble constructing sentences so i'll just enumerate adjectives that would describe him: honest, righteous, smart, responsible, charismatic, strong, powerful, just, lovable, admirable, incredibly competent in every way possible, he didn't know everything, just everything anyone would need to know. he was the kind of people everyone asks for help with everything, and he always helped. that's the man my entire family depended on.
he was also the sole provider for the family. we're all hanging on the hope that he had a generous life insurance we didn't know about.

i haven't had the time to properly mourn my father. i am the eldest son, the "heir", i'm the head of the family now. i spent every day since then swallowing my tears, meeting with his accountant, his former employees, calling up neighbours to help me with paperwork, looking at papers, papers, papers... its paper with stuff printed on it, they all look the same... i never even filed my own tax...thingies... i need to call my father, i need his help

i spent 4 years in college, before dropping out without a degree or any useful skills, then spent a couple more years guiltilly leaching him off of just enough to sustain myself, being a housewife to my girlfriend, and failing at finding a job. my father had quite a few highly placed friends that i hope can help me with that out of pitty, though i'm not expecting anything above minimum wage.

i sworn to myself and to his memory, i'll see my brothers through college

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55373 on: November 13, 2012, 10:41:14 pm »

I'm sorry, man.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55374 on: November 14, 2012, 12:28:15 am »

A friend opened up to me about his depression and I think I offended him and made it worse :( I didn't shut up and let him talk; I just HAD to impose my worldview on him.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55375 on: November 14, 2012, 12:41:32 am »

A friend opened up to me about his depression and I think I offended him and made it worse :( I didn't shut up and let him talk; I just HAD to impose my worldview on him.

This is a big part of being the shoulder cried upon. You gotta let them get it all out before you offer comfort. I learned this in Rehab. If someone is crying, and you hug them, or hand them tissues, you're distracting them from their feelings and trying to shut down their feelings, even if you don't think you do. Because their feelings are making you uncomfortable and you want them to stop crying. If someone you love is crying, don't hug them, let them cry, and tell you about it, THEN hug them. It's waaaay more effective at being comforting, and I know from experience.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #55376 on: November 14, 2012, 12:44:16 am »

Best of luck, Askot, my heart goes out to you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55377 on: November 14, 2012, 12:49:35 am »

This is a big part of being the shoulder cried upon. You gotta let them get it all out before you offer comfort. I learned this in Rehab. If someone is crying, and you hug them, or hand them tissues, you're distracting them from their feelings and trying to shut down their feelings, even if you don't think you do. Because their feelings are making you uncomfortable and you want them to stop crying. If someone you love is crying, don't hug them, let them cry, and tell you about it, THEN hug them. It's waaaay more effective at being comforting, and I know from experience.
Yeah, and here I am in FIX FIX FIX mode. Gotta make them feel better right now!

:'(

It's not as bad as I initially thought, but I certainly did cut him off WAAAAY too much to blabber on about my experiences with depression and such.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #55378 on: November 14, 2012, 02:25:34 am »

Good luck Askot.  That sounds like a ton of pressure to be experiencing during a horrible time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55379 on: November 14, 2012, 03:54:38 am »

It sounds like your father was a hell of a man. I wish you all the strength you need to see you through this. Don't try to bear the weight of the world on your shoulders alone, though; make sure that you're caring for and treating yourself with the same respect you feel for your father. You and your siblings are the legacy of his love, efforts, and sacrifices... and in that, you and he are extensions of the same force for positive change in the world.

I'm sorry for your loss, Askot, and best of luck to you.
Pages: 1 ... 3690 3691 [3692] 3693 3694 ... 8167