Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3686 3687 [3688] 3689 3690 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447204 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #55305 on: November 12, 2012, 04:49:09 pm »

Hello!

Actually, the way I see it, nihilism is the logical consequence of atheism. Therefore, being myself an atheist, the term nihilist should also be appropriate when referring to me.

However, atheism/nihilism has a severe problem in practicability: without values, you can't make decisions. It is outright impossible, as each decision consists of weighing the value of the options at hand. And not making a decision is also a decision in itself. Thus, as long as you are a human, you can not live in a genuine atheist/nihilist way, as such a way is incompatible with your own existence.

Yours,
Deathworks

Nah it's not. Not all your values need to come from God. Your body comes with a bunch of prebuild ones, and there more than enough to choose from in modern life.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55306 on: November 12, 2012, 04:54:32 pm »

Hello!

Nah it's not. Not all your values need to come from God. Your body comes with a bunch of prebuild ones, and there more than enough to choose from in modern life.

You mean hunger, thirst, libido? The question is, why should I quench my thirst? Why should I act according to my libido? Or would it not be better to remain thirsty?

You may answer with self-preservation, but then I would ask why self-preservation is good.

If there is no objective meaning to the world and thus my own existence, my existence is just as good as my non-existence, from an objective point of view. Thus, self-preservation itself is no better or worse than self-destruction (actively or through neglect). Same goes for happiness or other emotions - there is nothing that is objectively superior to anything else, so there is nothing to head for.

Yours,
Deathworks

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55307 on: November 12, 2012, 04:56:18 pm »

You are failing to recognize that subjective values are values, though. Just because something is subjective does not make it fickle or meaningless.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #55308 on: November 12, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »

All I know about nihilism I learned from The Big Lebowski.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55309 on: November 12, 2012, 05:00:25 pm »

Boy, being Deathworks must be depressing as hell.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55310 on: November 12, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »

Guh. Why did I go and look up Dyspraxia on Wikipedia.

But surely it would give you hope (as it did unto me) for its mention of famous people with dyspraxia - one possible sufferer being George Orwell.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55311 on: November 12, 2012, 05:05:22 pm »

Hello!

You are failing to recognize that subjective values are values, though. Just because something is subjective does not make it fickle or meaningless.

Actually, that was the part that I left unspoken in my initial post. I claimed that I am an atheist/nihilist and then explained why you can't live the "true doctrine", so to speak.

Just by existing, we make decisions, and since those need to be based on values, we will by our very nature adopt subjective values.

However, as the subjective values of atheists are not related to any objective values, the subjective values of different atheists can vary greatly. There is no guiding principle for atheists to tell them which subjective values to adopt.

I can't agree with your final statement about meaninglessness, though. If there is no objective meaning to anything, there is no way to create such objective meaning. You may create "subjective meaning", but that exists only as long as the creating subject and those who support it exist. And as we are all mortal and in comparison to the world short-lived, anything based on our subjective, individual existence is fickle within the greater picture of the world.

Yours,
Deathworks

P.S.:
Actually not, as a) normal life by necessity uses the adopted, subjetive values and b) meaninglessness is not depressing once you have accepted there is no objective meaning to begin with.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55312 on: November 12, 2012, 05:06:04 pm »

You can't reject objective value without recognizing subjective value. To reject both would be a null philosophy.
Well yeah that's why I say I've never met a "true" nihilist. One that rejected objective value without substituting any subjective value in its place would be essentially in a coma, because they wouldn't care enough to fulfill any of their body's needs or anything else.

So I don't believe greatorder when he says he doesn't give a shit about anything. He certainly gives a shit about something, else he wouldn't be on this forum to chat.

I'm certain she has subjective values to give meaning to some things, like existence. There's just no objective value to them, with which I am in agreement with her.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #55313 on: November 12, 2012, 05:08:34 pm »

Bones hurt,exams are closing in ,pessimistic as usual.Have to do a whole notebook full of homeworks at math,can't due to missing basic math stuff in the 6,7 and 8th grade due to hospital reasons.If i don't pass math this year i won't pass the freaking year.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #55314 on: November 12, 2012, 05:20:41 pm »

But surely it would give you hope (as it did unto me) for its mention of famous people with dyspraxia - one possible sufferer being George Orwell.
The fact that he had it makes me no happier that I can't tie my laces or write legibly.

Or walk in a straight line without falling over :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55315 on: November 12, 2012, 05:47:45 pm »

Bones hurt,exams are closing in ,pessimistic as usual.Have to do a whole notebook full of homeworks at math,can't due to missing basic math stuff in the 6,7 and 8th grade due to hospital reasons.If i don't pass math this year i won't pass the freaking year.

Know the feel, exams are next week and the closer they get the less I think I know :C

It doesn't help that I'm also absolutely getting fed up with both math and electrical engineering which is making it extra hard to study them. Also tired as fuck because every day is an 8 to 8 ordeal that leaves me completely wasted.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55316 on: November 12, 2012, 06:46:37 pm »

Apatheists strike me as being those people who mass convert to catholicism when on their death-bed.
Is that supposed to be good? I'm not sure advertising fear mongering to the most ill-minded persons who are literally dying is supposed to be good...

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55317 on: November 12, 2012, 06:48:15 pm »

The fact that he had it makes me no happier that I can't tie my laces or write legibly.

Or walk in a straight line without falling over :P

That's a damned shame. I'm moderately to severely dyspraxic but I was never as bad as that. You have my sympathies sir.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #55318 on: November 12, 2012, 06:52:00 pm »

The falling over was a bit of an exaggeration, although I do have terrible balance, and have fallen over many times when I shouldn't have. But yeah, my writing and drawing are absolutely horrible, even with a ruler I have trouble drawing straight lines. Thankfully I've never had an issue with reading comprehension or ability, and I'm a bit above average with language comprehension too.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55319 on: November 12, 2012, 09:56:58 pm »

Hello Deathworks. It's nice to see you around again ;)
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3686 3687 [3688] 3689 3690 ... 8167