Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3682 3683 [3684] 3685 3686 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448472 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #55245 on: November 12, 2012, 01:39:54 pm »

Christianity is a harmless and peaceful religion, they said.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55246 on: November 12, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world... Wasted.
Unfortunately this kind of thing is really no big surprise.

It kind of is if you do it right, but a lot of Christians do it wrong unfortunately.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55247 on: November 12, 2012, 01:50:33 pm »

It kind of is if you do it right, but a lot of Christians do it wrong unfortunately.
This pretty much, but it raises the question wether the people that practice the religion are the religion or not.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55248 on: November 12, 2012, 01:53:20 pm »

(Deleted)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:16:53 am by Mongol13524 »
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55249 on: November 12, 2012, 01:54:39 pm »

Christianity itself is indeed peaceful and harmless. The problem lies with the dumb and corrupt who call themselves Christians; which ruins the image of the true ones.
MetalSlimeHunt isn't buying it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55250 on: November 12, 2012, 02:01:35 pm »

-Deleted-
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:18:20 am by Mongol13524 »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55251 on: November 12, 2012, 02:03:24 pm »

Christianity itself is indeed peaceful and harmless. The problem lies with the dumb and corrupt who call themselves Christians; which ruins the image of the true ones.
Do I have to explain the entire doctrine to you, or are you antagonizing Christianity simply because you want to feel smart about being [whatever your religious beliefs are]?

*pulls the lever, tracks switch with screech*

So, the rainy weather persists. This makes me sad, especially that it's also damn cold.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55252 on: November 12, 2012, 02:05:06 pm »

Yeah... The problem with dogmatic morals is they're unchanging in a fluid world. The whole "kill your kids because they speak against you" thing. Also the burn the heretics stuff. And the homophobia. And the misogyny.

There be a lot of nasty things in the good book.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #55253 on: November 12, 2012, 02:06:47 pm »

Have you read your bible? The whole thing. From Genesis to Revelations. That is all I am going to say on it.

*pulls the lever, tracks switch with screech*

So, the rainy weather persists. This makes me sad, especially that it's also damn cold.

Actually it is a warm clear beautiful day, I completely hate being stuck in the office when it will only take me 15 minutes to be here:

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55254 on: November 12, 2012, 02:07:56 pm »

Do I have to explain the entire doctrine to you, or are you antagonizing Christianity simply because you want to feel smart about being [whatever your religious beliefs are]?
I've already been a Christian, trust me, I know all about it.
No Gods, No Masters.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55255 on: November 12, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »

*deep breath*
The Bible is outdated. Do you think everything still applies?
It's just that there is too much conservativeness. What applies and what doesn't should be constantly changed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55256 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:04 pm »

Interpretating things that are allegorical in a literal manner is not a good thing.
This is a blank sig.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55257 on: November 12, 2012, 02:19:24 pm »

Yeah... The problem with dogmatic morals is they're unchanging in a fluid world. The whole "kill your kids because they speak against you" thing. Also the burn the heretics stuff. And the homophobia. And the misogyny.

Yeah, there really is a lot of nasty stuff in there, but I have to admit, some of it's kind of nice. Jesus actually had some pretty cool parts, I think my favourite passage was this:
Quote from: From John 8
1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55258 on: November 12, 2012, 02:26:52 pm »

Yeah, it's often a mistake by either side who focus entirely on the good or the bad. Focus only on the good and you become delusioned, focus on the bad and you must ask yourself why you are ignoring the good.
Uganda is doing it wrong.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55259 on: November 12, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »

Fine, I'll divert one more train car off the rails and explain all that from a Christian point of view:

Good and evil aren't fluid, the morality of those who do not listen to God is. God's moral views never change, because they're right.

The law given to the ancient Jews was meant for the ancient Jews and the Jews only. It can be studied to unveil wise principle (Brats should be punished for being rebellious!), but is not meant for contemporary/foreign exact application. That's no excuse for a flat out bad law however, so I'll fully answer specific questions about it by private message (no more derailment on this thread plz)

What verses are you talking about when it comes to "burning heretics"? I can answer specific inquires, not general accusations.

Homosexual relationships are wrong in the eyes of the one who designed the reproductive process. A robot that dosen't function the way it was designed might gain sympathy in the eyes of it's mechanical peers, but that doesn't mean it's working. Again, I can only give a specific answer to a specific question.

I need specific verses and questions about the mysogyny in order to give satisfactory answers.

There's already a thread for these kinds of questions, let's stop derailing this one.

Rainy and cold here too. :(

Pages: 1 ... 3682 3683 [3684] 3685 3686 ... 8167