Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3678 3679 [3680] 3681 3682 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447609 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #55185 on: November 10, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »

Is it sad (or should I be sad) that I find the original Xcom more

1) Tactical
2) Scary Exhilerating?
3) Fun in both ways?

than this new one?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55186 on: November 10, 2012, 01:33:57 pm »

Is it sad (or should I be sad) that I find the original Xcom more

1) Tactical
2) Scary Exhilerating?
3) Fun in both ways?
Less sad, more predictable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55187 on: November 10, 2012, 01:40:37 pm »

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55188 on: November 10, 2012, 02:00:18 pm »

I cannot get into the very first mission-act of Snatcher game, the game just loops the vehicle scene all the time :c

And I think I'm missing out an intro as well...

I got so hooked into you, game, why won't you woooork D:
Try the LP, I guess. Then check out the LP of its spiritual successor.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55189 on: November 10, 2012, 06:46:31 pm »

Hey, doodabuddies.  I'm back briefly.

Spoiler: News (click to show/hide)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55190 on: November 10, 2012, 06:48:58 pm »

So now that you're here, any thoughts on Aspergers getting expunged from the next edition of the DSM?

(Oh, and my avatar is all nationalist now because of Puerto Rico, not nationalism. There were many bets made during the election concerning avatar changes, but this is just to constantly remind RedKing and everyone else of my prediction winning out.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #55191 on: November 10, 2012, 06:51:33 pm »

Ohai Vector.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55192 on: November 10, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »

So now that you're here, any thoughts on Aspergers getting expunged from the next edition of the DSM?

(Oh, and my avatar is all nationalist now because of Puerto Rico, not nationalism. There were many bets made during the election concerning avatar changes, but this is just to constantly remind RedKing and everyone else of my prediction winning out.)
I think it will greatly negatively impact the ablity of parents who have children with aspergers to recieve care.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55193 on: November 10, 2012, 07:12:50 pm »

Hooray, Vector's back!

Not too much happened on the forums, except turning about 800% more gay. Seriously.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55194 on: November 10, 2012, 07:18:26 pm »

It's a complex situation.

On the one hand, there's the issue that we don't want to pathologize people who are borderline, because previously it could serve as a catchall "you are weird" diagnosis.  So in that sense, it's good that people are not getting slapped with the stigma--the DSM doesn't classify lovesickness or bad sense of humor, it shouldn't be working on folks who have a little interest in spinny things.  It will probably also cut back on popular self-diagnoses, because the word "autism" has such stigma.  There is a legitimate problem with accessing diagnosis, though, so being kneejerk mean to someone just because they self-diagnosed can have its issues.

On another hand, 80% of the people who currently qualify as Asperger's will be expunged from the rolls and no longer qualify, and there really aren't many resources to help people with terrible social skills around and about out there--so what I'm saying is, better support for spectrum-ward people should be available regardless of clinical diagnosis, with extra provided for those of us who are firmly on that side of "the wall."  However, I've found that there's no/little resources or support available for Asperger's folks past the age of 18, so for adults who are losing the diagnosis it really doesn't matter that much right now because we're screwed either way.  For reference, I'm pretty sure that I'll still be stuck with the label.  I'm bad enough that they won't let me in the social classes for normal people at the student health services center, so instead there's no resources, rather than resources that would have been too advanced.  I'd like to see that start to change.

On the third hand, there's a lot of in-fighting between people with Asperger's and people with autism, because many of the folks with serious, hard-core autism see its eradication as a positive (hence side with Autism Speaks' agenda and its whiff of genocide) and the AS people as folks who are complaining about nothing much and aren't getting off their bums and working on their situation.  The folks with Asperger's are upset because they feel that life could be pretty good if they just had some better support and find the eradication agenda, and the separation from the "people like them," painful.  In some ways it mirrors the experience of bisexual people in the queer community, who can sometimes be seen as "not really queer" because they have a choice.  A person with Asperger's who can pass a reasonable amount of the time is not seen as actually autistic.  My hope is that the shift of the diagnosis bar will remove some of this in-fighting and generate greater coherence.

And, fourth, this will likely not remove the issue with the extreme stereotyping of the autistic condition.  Asperger's should have created understanding of the existence of the spectrum (you need two data points to make a line, right... ?), but instead it became equally pathologized with an entirely different set of stereotypes.  I'm not expecting this to do any better in that department, "three subtypes" or no.  No one is going to know about those on the street, just the single stereotype.

My general verdict is that this is a good idea in theory, but the practice will likely lead to large numbers of people who could have used some low-impact support suffering unnecessarily, because it won't be attached to better governmental support of psychological services in general in the near future.  However, that was already happening anyway, so at the very least we're going to get a more sensible diagnostic device with our side of masochistic pie.

Ohai Vector.

Hooray, Vector's back!

Not too much happened on the forums, except turning about 800% more gay. Seriously.

Hey, dudes :D  Glad to hear it!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #55195 on: November 10, 2012, 07:24:32 pm »

In reference to the previous poster's identity:

This post I'm writing right now belongs in the Happy thread.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:26:59 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55196 on: November 10, 2012, 07:28:12 pm »

On the third hand, there's a lot of in-fighting between people with Asperger's and people with autism, because many of the folks with serious, hard-core autism see its eradication as a positive (hence side with Autism Speaks' agenda and its whiff of genocide) and the AS people as folks who are complaining about nothing much and aren't getting off their bums and working on their situation.  The folks with Asperger's are upset because they feel that life could be pretty good if they just had some better support and find the eradication agenda, and the separation from the "people like them," painful.
What I'm wondering is how they plan to eradicate autism at all. 1 in 125, right? Even if we could establish reliable genetic markers for autism, you wouldn't have much chance of getting rid of it. Even if we assume a "best case" scenario and autism is a simple monogenetic trait, which it almost certainly is not, you're still dealing with 1 in 63 people actually carrying the trait. Autism being almost certainly polygenetic, it would not be a stretch to say that almost all humans carry at least some of the genes that would be expressed as autism of various degree.

Hence, even a directed effort to eliminate autism would fail. You might end up lowering the autistic population, but any random pairing of individuals carries that same chance to come together in the genotype and result in autism. (Note that this entire thing also applies to homosexuality.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55197 on: November 10, 2012, 07:35:48 pm »

We're up to 1 in 88, actually.  But yeah, you're right.  Autism probably isn't going away--it's just that we're in the very beginning of a rights movement (we've only had 80 years of diagnosis!), so they're kind of stuck in "toss it" mode.

This post I'm writing right now belongs in the Happy thread.

Good to see you too, Bauglir.  I've missed you.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55198 on: November 10, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »

Oh hey Vector, still doing awesome stuff much to the annoyance of your detractors? Cool.

I've been doing relatively well myself, reconnected with an old friend, I started coming to terms with some of my ridiculously huge anxiety issues, and I'm soon to start college classes next semester... hopefully (I'm really anxious about this).

Oh, and a couple of weeks ago I started this Let's Play of a pretty obscure indie zombie survival game that I filled with silly stuff. I'm pretty proud of it in that five year old's finest finger painting kind of way, and you should totally check it out (as should anyone else reading this).

Here's the link.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that today Solifuge offered to teach me to play the saxophone, which was pretty cool of him.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:51:27 pm by Pnx »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55199 on: November 10, 2012, 08:00:07 pm »

Don't be anxious about college, Pnx, you can do it!  No, but seriously, I got bullied all four years and there's legitimately sucky stuff that happens, but often you can find a safe spot to kinda nestle into and everything feels pretty okay.  The important thing is to focus on learning, not grades, and working on your social life and overall happiness like it's your job helps, too.  I found that once I stopped thinking about things less in terms of "I am failing" and more in terms of "the overall situation may be negative, but it is currently improving in X, Y, and Z ways" I was much better able to cope.

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well :3  I'll check out your LP soon.

Pages: 1 ... 3678 3679 [3680] 3681 3682 ... 8167