Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3624 3625 [3626] 3627 3628 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466553 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #54375 on: October 18, 2012, 10:55:12 am »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54376 on: October 18, 2012, 11:16:03 am »

Xanax is alprazolam, iirc, a short-half-life bd. It shouldnt have stimulating effects (except as a weird and unusual paradoxical reaction). It's more likely that, if you were abusing them regularly, you simply developed resistance to it's effects (and its worth noting that resistance comes faster for some effects than the others. In particular, sedation is the first to go).

The rule of thumb is that tolerance and dependence come after about 4 weeks of continuous usage, but it can be much faster when used recreatively.

From what I understand, no one else I know has the same effect when they took too much xanax as I did. I also didn't do them regularly per se, perhaps once every couple of weeks. But when I did, I went big.

A million people is nothing. There are three hundred million people in the USA. One million is less than a percentage point.
You know, there's other countries but the USA out there.
A million people is 50% of my country's population :P

Yes, I know this, but it's pretty irrelevant to my irrelevant point. :P I was just musing.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54377 on: October 18, 2012, 01:33:11 pm »

Only reason I do what I do is because I want to experience new stuff. I crave new experiences.

It's why I'm a fan of psychadelics and stay away from sedatives.

I agree with you in principal, but indulging in any kind of addictive behavior robs you of experience in the long run. Learn to dream lucidly instead, you get more benefits and only lose the time you would have spent sleeping anyway. And it costs less.

I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54378 on: October 18, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »

Psychadelics, in general, are non-addictive, and using them is not addictive behaviour. Or at least no more so than lucid dreaming, which is honestly a completely different animal anyway.

What benefits does lucid dreaming give, anyway? Far as I can tell, none, while psychedelics can quite literally open your mind to possibilities you've never considered before, allowing you to solve previously intractable problems or at least see the world in a new way. ("Can", mind you. Not "will".) Used responsibly, the non-legal risks are basically nil.

But yeah... to even compare the two is pretty crazy. The closest sleep related thing is extreme hypnogagia, and trust me on this front - that is NOT something you want to start doing.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54379 on: October 18, 2012, 01:53:26 pm »

Lucid dreaming, to me, was much like marijuana. It did not live up the hype.

By the end, I was basically "Why did I ever think this was going to be a good idea? This is perhaps one of the most unimaginably boring things in existence, and holds no benefits to me whatsoever. I can not believe I expended even an ounce of energy to get to this point."

All lucid dreaming accomplished was ruining a fuckton of potentially awesome dreams for me. And one nightmare - I guess that one worked out.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54380 on: October 18, 2012, 02:07:57 pm »

If your lucid dreams don't involve scantily-clad women parachuting in to feed you strips of bacon...you're doing it wrong.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54381 on: October 18, 2012, 02:11:03 pm »

That... does not sound particularly appealing to me, I'm gonna be honest.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54382 on: October 18, 2012, 02:11:35 pm »

Lucid dreaming, to me, was much like marijuana. It did not live up the hype.

By the end, I was basically "Why did I ever think this was going to be a good idea? This is perhaps one of the most unimaginably boring things in existence, and holds no benefits to me whatsoever. I can not believe I expended even an ounce of energy to get to this point."

All lucid dreaming accomplished was ruining a fuckton of potentially awesome dreams for me. And one nightmare - I guess that one worked out.
That's just the start. Keep going and you get to be able to do really, REALLY fun things. I'm still yet to fly or ride a dreamsaurus-rex. Getting closer every night.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54383 on: October 18, 2012, 02:13:19 pm »

The one lucid dream I remember, I managed to create an entire city. I had glowing fruit in stalls and lots of very odd people. That's all I remember, but it was amazing.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54384 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:44 pm »

Whenever I truly lucid dream, my gut reaction is to immediately try to wake up. So I haven't had a true lucid dream last more than 5 seconds.

I sort of had a half lucid one recently, though; I fell asleep in the dream, so I knew I was dreaming. Sort of. Anyway I ended up flying over the local landscape trying to change things, and ultimately only succeeded in changing anything outside of my field of vision. Eventually I flew into a Subway, forgot I was lucid dreaming, and spent an hour or so arguing with the dude making my sandwich. Then I woke up.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54385 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:55 pm »

That's just the start. Keep going and you get to be able to do really, REALLY fun things. I'm still yet to fly or ride a dreamsaurus-rex. Getting closer every night.

The problem with lucid dreaming is, of course, the essence of lucid dreaming. You know you're dreaming. There's no unknown, no unexpected, no thrill, no interplay. There's nothing. It's boring. At it's best, it's as exciting as drawing a picture is in real life - except that if your attention wavers for all of a second, you lose any sort of realistic continuity, and your effort is wasted.

It's boring. Period. Especially compared to the fact that my normal dreams are super awesome. And if there's a way to make it fun, I've yet to discover it. And I usually end up not sleeping well either, so there's that.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #54386 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:44 pm »

Yeah, where's the fun in everything going exactly as you imagine it. I thrive on leaping into the unknown and seeing what my subconscious throws at me.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54387 on: October 18, 2012, 02:51:23 pm »

The episodes I've had of it, it's more like I'm editing a movie. When I'm actually "in" the movie, I don't realize I'm dreaming. Then something happens I don't like, or that doesn't seem right, and suddenly everything freezes and I find I can roll back time, add/delete people, change motivations, etc.
Then when I start back up, I quickly lose that 4th wall and it all becomes real to me again.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54388 on: October 18, 2012, 02:54:52 pm »

Oooh, that. That's... isn't that normal dreaming? It's not what I'd consider lucid dreaming, anyway.

I'm pretty sure that's just normal dreaming.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54389 on: October 18, 2012, 02:58:59 pm »

Oooh, that. That's... isn't that normal dreaming? It's not what I'd consider lucid dreaming, anyway.

I'm pretty sure that's just normal dreaming.
If you can control it, it's generally lucid.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 3624 3625 [3626] 3627 3628 ... 8167