Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3604 3605 [3606] 3607 3608 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9461802 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #54075 on: October 13, 2012, 04:40:39 pm »

Can't really give you any advice if you're not giving specifics :(

I will say though that bad situations do exist, where no one was really at fault. You can still feel bad and such over them. Angry, even. If that's the case here, just careful who you direct those negative feelings toward. Don't be ashamed of having them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54076 on: October 13, 2012, 04:46:02 pm »

It's sensitive enough of a situation that I'm hesitant to give specifics. But the feeling of dread over it needs to be expressed, and I can be vague about it here. Although being vague caused most of this.

The anger was directed at the second friend and her advice. I'm not really mad at her, just insulted over the sentiment. That was not a friendship I was willing to call off like that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #54077 on: October 14, 2012, 01:50:35 am »

the xtreme tag on tumblr is more disappointing than the oregano tag

Swiftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54078 on: October 14, 2012, 02:47:34 am »

I have to stop giving a fuck about what people think of me. It's gotten to the point that my metaphorical basket o' fucks is empty, and now I'm drawing on my own personal supply.

It's easier said than done though, I'm so awkward and self conscious and errrk.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54079 on: October 14, 2012, 02:56:17 am »

It's not really bad to care about what others think about you, so long as it's not totally debilitating. I know exactly what you're saying and where you're coming from, but do understand you don't have to completely numb yourself to get by.

First thing to realize is other people are almost certainly not judging you as harshly as you're judging yourself.
Second thing to realize is if people ARE judging you more harshly than yourself, they're probably assholes and not worth you worrying about their stupid opinions.
Third thing to realize is other people aren't inherently better than you in any way, though they might be better at hiding their problems. You see your life as a blooper reel, while seeing everyone else's as the director's cut. So don't do unfair comparisons with yourself and others.
Finally, you don't need to worry about doing a completely 180 and becoming stuck up and narcissistic. That's like an anorexic being worried about becoming obese.

The key to not being awkward is not noticing you're being awkward. "Go with the flow," and all that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54080 on: October 14, 2012, 02:59:14 am »

Huh. You know, usually the advice that gets flung about on these here forums either just washes over me without effect. That actually sounds helpful, though. I'll have to remember it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Swiftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54081 on: October 14, 2012, 03:11:01 am »

Thanks kaijyuu, I'll definitely remember that. *pastes into quote folder*
It's just I feel so scared that everyone around me is silently judging. Which is crazy and selfish, they have better things to be doing than analyzing every little thing I do. It's all in my head. Even posting this stuff makes me nervous  :-X

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54082 on: October 14, 2012, 04:23:25 am »

My hamsters died brutally, they were starving because mother promised to feed them week ago and she didnt, so one hamster killed another and ate it, then died itself. It was sad to find one hamster literally chopped in half and second dead next to it.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #54083 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:22 am »

It's just I feel so scared that everyone around me is silently judging. Which is crazy and selfish, they have better things to be doing than analyzing every little thing I do. It's all in my head. Even posting this stuff makes me nervous  :-X

I think the most helpful thing to remember is that everyone worries about how other people are judging them.  Very few people are completely smooth and confident.  The people who put on the biggest show of being so are often the ones who fear judgment the most.  So long as you're humble, most people don't judge as harshly as you'd expect, because they don't want to be judged in return.

I've always found speech class as a really interesting case.  It makes absolutely no sense to be afraid of it, because most of your classmates are too wrapped up in their own worries to even bother with judging you.  If you screw up, they actually tend to either appreciate it because they know they won't feel so bad if they screw up, or they're even more wrapped up in their own terror because it's like witnessing what they're about to go through.  In either case, they're still not judging you.  Somehow the mutuality of the situation still doesn't register.  The vast majority are terrified of speaking in front of others.  My wife is a social butterfly who regularly hosts gatherings and always has lots of people begging for her attention.  I had to coach her through college speech class, and her anxiety was fucking enormous.  Of all people.  She explained to me that the most social people go through this because they care so much of what others think of them.  The super popular kid at school who always seems to handle things with grace is that person because they devote massive amounts of energy to masking their fear of appearing any other way.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54084 on: October 14, 2012, 05:32:51 am »

Oh gods. Kill me now. Just realised I'm supposed to go to work tomorrow. :'(
At least I only have two days left and then never again. Never.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54085 on: October 14, 2012, 05:34:19 am »

You're retiring in three days?

ALSO DON'T SAY IT BECAUSE RETIRONY!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #54086 on: October 14, 2012, 06:48:46 am »

IMO, I believe that the fear of being judged comes from experiences of being hurt by other people. While it may seem that judgement is handed around like air, people usually analyze those in close proximity with them - not always in a bad way - to get to know them.

Don't be afraid. I've learned that people [in general] are not evil cynics who are all strung up in their judgement of you. The thing is, they see what is wrong in themselves that may be reflected by your actions. People don't like personal evils, and people reflect other people in a way. Shortening it, we aren't all bloody sociopaths (hope I used that right). It's a matter of perspective. :D

Sad post: I usually get sad instead of getting angry when the situation presents itself where most others get angry. Also just realized that I'm the best critic ever in art - when criticizing my own art...the analogy lies in the title of this thread.

Lastly, I only have (please no) a year at least to spend on these forums before shutting everything down. Next year in my course is Hell Year. Very little of the population taking said course is culled during that year.

Nothing can prepare us, even these books which we buy ahead of time. Third Year, Med Tech.  :-\

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #54087 on: October 14, 2012, 07:37:23 am »

Very little of the population is culled? :D

Also, bye~ D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #54088 on: October 14, 2012, 07:47:09 am »

Another thing, my grammar in typing.

It gets messed up! D:

I meant very much of the population...the majority. Mostly 75%

And I'm not leaving yet XD

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #54089 on: October 14, 2012, 11:09:52 am »

My hamsters died brutally, they were starving because mother promised to feed them week ago and she didnt, so one hamster killed another and ate it, then died itself. It was sad to find one hamster literally chopped in half and second dead next to it.
That's horrifying D:
Pages: 1 ... 3604 3605 [3606] 3607 3608 ... 8167