Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3589 3590 [3591] 3592 3593 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9463761 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #53850 on: October 10, 2012, 06:23:23 pm »

I once had a stalker. Let's say it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I also had a military girl seem to be interested in me. Nowadays I think back, I probably should've pursued it, but eh. I was shy and stupid.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53851 on: October 10, 2012, 06:29:41 pm »

By that time a good deal of life will have migrated off this little hunk of rock. Even if humans leave and just let the planet be a nature reserve, 2 billion years is plenty of time for more intelligent species to develop and do the same.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53852 on: October 10, 2012, 06:31:21 pm »

looked at the (most likely) future of the earth.

best estimates are 2 billion more years of life. plenty of time, but just imagining that after that, the earth will be a scorched, arid desert planet, slowly boiling where once there was masses and masses of life...

depressing.
I need some ice cream.

I thought Sol's gradual increase in brightness was going to render Earth uninhabitable in something like 500 million years?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53853 on: October 10, 2012, 06:31:43 pm »

best estimates are 2 billion more years of life. plenty of time, but just imagining that after that, the earth will be a scorched, arid desert planet, slowly boiling where once there was masses and masses of life...

depressing.
I need some ice cream.

We better get to work. We have much work to do, and so little time.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #53854 on: October 10, 2012, 06:32:28 pm »

depressing.
I need some ice cream.

We better get to work. We have much work to do, and so little time.

Glory to Tzeench!

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53855 on: October 10, 2012, 06:33:08 pm »

Assuming human beings don't kill it first. I'm far more concerned about humanity than the Sun.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53856 on: October 10, 2012, 06:34:35 pm »

Huh. Last time I checked, the figure was 500 million years for it no longer being inhabitable. Are you sure you're not just thinking of the collapse of the magnetic field?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #53857 on: October 10, 2012, 06:35:10 pm »

Was really getting into some 3d.  This creature is so much fun to work on.  Interrupted by stupid job.  Fuuuuuuck let me switch to a career I belong in :(
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53858 on: October 10, 2012, 06:36:24 pm »

depressing.
I need some ice cream.

I thought Sol's gradual increase in brightness was going to render Earth uninhabitable in something like 500 million years?

Totally need a link to this.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53859 on: October 10, 2012, 06:38:06 pm »

Assuming human beings don't kill it first. I'm far more concerned about humanity than the Sun.

Excuse me? We live on a tiny tiny section of the planet, sandwiched between the infinite depths of space and the white hot molten rock inside the planet. If something kills something, it's going to be the planet killing us, not the other way around. It would take mind-boggling power to destroy the world. Even a full out, no holds barred nuclear war would just set the earth's biosphere back a few million years. Which is nothing to a planet.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53860 on: October 10, 2012, 06:40:05 pm »

Huh. Last time I checked, the figure was 500 million years for it no longer being inhabitable. Are you sure you're not just thinking of the collapse of the magnetic field?
what I read never stated the date of the magnetosphere's colapse, just that once the outer core stops moving, it'll collapse in about 10,000 years.

It's been a while since I read up on this kind of stuff.

And it will become uninhabitable long before 2 billion years. The brighter sun will eventually initiate a positive feedback loop similar to what happened on Venus. Oceans start evaporating/boiling, causing it to get hotter. As it gets hotter, the oceans boil faster. As the oceans boil faster, it gets even hotter. This keeps up until the Earth is a ball of rock swathed in a crushing atmosphere.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53861 on: October 10, 2012, 06:41:09 pm »

Rather assuming we were talking about the Earth being dead as in "uninhabitable", not dead as in "blown the hell up".

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53862 on: October 10, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »

The Earth's got at least another five billion years before it's destroyed by an expanding sun.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53863 on: October 10, 2012, 06:43:06 pm »

Rather assuming we were talking about the Earth being dead as in "uninhabitable", not dead as in "blown the hell up".

So was I. Like I said, we couldn't render it completely uninhabitable even if we wanted to. We can fuck it up a bit, but it's a big tough bastard. Plus life is pretty insanely badass. Something would survive, obligatory cockroach reference.
He's fucking with us.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53864 on: October 10, 2012, 06:44:52 pm »

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure some extremophiles deep in the crust would hold out until the bitter end. Microbes can be tough little bastards.
Pages: 1 ... 3589 3590 [3591] 3592 3593 ... 8167