Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3560 3561 [3562] 3563 3564 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466044 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #53415 on: October 04, 2012, 11:29:38 pm »

You should have bagged her groceries. But seriously I don't see why this would make you sad.

Because I've got standards.

I am now sad because Hans dislikes sluts, and by proxy, me.

You are cool. This offsets the standards. ;) Ahem. Sorry everyone. Momentary lapse of judgement there. :/

I wish I was a slut   ::)

No you don't. Being a slut is highly overrated. And gross. Mostly gross.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53416 on: October 04, 2012, 11:32:45 pm »

Well as they say, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the sexual participation spectrum".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53417 on: October 04, 2012, 11:33:03 pm »

I think we can discuss this publicly so long as it's entirely academic. In fact I think similar things were talked about in the old progressive rage thread.

Anywho, here's where I think I disagree with you Hans. I don't like "slut shaming". There's a common conception that men who get lots of action are heroes that should be admired, while women who do are "sluts" who should be scorned. In my view, both sides of that coin are bogus; there's nothing inherently good or bad about sleeping around, or being sexually open, or anything like that. My only concern is STD risk (and unwanted pregnancies, now that I think about it). I'm also one of those people that don't like "public indecency" laws; if people want to bone each other in a public park, or on a car hood, or whatever, that's fine by me.

So yeah. I see nothing wrong with her view, nor yours. People can be as selective as they want.

EDIT: 'Spose I should put where I stand on the issue. I have to know someone rather well, and like them a bit, before I'd sleep with them. One night stands simply would never do for me. Easiest way to put it would be they'd have to be in boy/girlfriend territory first.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:39:37 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53418 on: October 04, 2012, 11:39:22 pm »

I think we can discuss this publicly so long as it's entirely academic. In fact I think similar things were talked about in the old progressive rage thread.

Anywho, here's where I think I disagree with you Hans. I don't like "slut shaming". There's a common conception that men who get lots of action are heroes that should be admired, while women who do are "sluts" who should be scorned. In my view, both sides of that coin are bogus; there's nothing inherently good or bad about sleeping around, or being sexually open, or anything like that. My only concern is STD risk (and unwanted pregnancies, now that I think about it). I'm also one of those people that don't like "public indecency" laws; if people want to bone each other in a public park, or on a car hood, or whatever, that's fine by me.

So yeah. I see nothing wrong with her view, nor yours. People can be as selective as they want.

Funny thing. I particularly don't like guys that sleep around with girls as much as they can. I met one of those, a specific one, that inspires a fiery rage in me. I don't get angry much. I could physically dismember this person though.
Female sluts I have varying opinions on. If she gets into a relationship with the person, sleeps with them easily in the relationship, and then moves on because she has difficulty staying in relationships, that's a bit different. But people who just hop from person to person as much as possible just bother me on a visceral level.
It's gross. Disgusting to me. That's just my opinion though. I've always believed sex was an expression of love between two people.

As for public indecency laws, they are there for a good reason, IMO. Never thought I'd disagree with you so much. :P Ahem, anyway, I don't want to see everyone naked. I barely even want to see the ones I want to see naked. I'm prude I guess. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53419 on: October 04, 2012, 11:43:46 pm »

Pfft I'm a crazy radical free love hippie so it's not surprising if you disagree with me on some things :P

Anyway the way I'd reconcile this:
I've always believed sex was an expression of love between two people.
is to make that your standard. Just don't apply it to anyone else. For you, it will always be an expression of love; for others, it might be different.

* kaijyuu shrugs

As for public indecency laws, they are there for a good reason, IMO. Never thought I'd disagree with you so much.  Ahem, anyway, I don't want to see everyone naked. I barely even want to see the ones I want to see naked. I'm prude I guess.
Do you get disgusted seeing someone's elbow? Hand? Shin? If not, then why do you get disgusted seeing those particular organs? :)
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53420 on: October 04, 2012, 11:46:43 pm »

I'm mostly okay with public indecency laws because of cleanliness. I really don't want to carry a gallon of bleach if I decide to sit down on a park bench. Also, there are people who weigh more than 400lbs. They may not be ashamed of their bodies, but I am for them.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53421 on: October 04, 2012, 11:47:10 pm »

Pfft I'm a crazy radical free love hippie so it's not surprising if you disagree with me on some things :P

Anyway the way I'd reconcile this:
I've always believed sex was an expression of love between two people.
is to make that your standard. Just don't apply it to anyone else. For you, it will always be an expression of love; for others, it might be different.

* kaijyuu shrugs

As for public indecency laws, they are there for a good reason, IMO. Never thought I'd disagree with you so much.  Ahem, anyway, I don't want to see everyone naked. I barely even want to see the ones I want to see naked. I'm prude I guess.
Do you get disgusted seeing someone's elbow? Hand? Shin? If not, then why do you get disgusted seeing those particular organs? :)

As for the first one, you are correct. And I don't try to force that standard on others unless they're trying to sleep with me. Then it's fully within my rights. :P

As for the second, because cultural mores and conditioned behavioral responses to such sights. Plus, it's really hard to work when you're distracted by the nekkid sexy. >.<
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53422 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:33 pm »

Even if public indecency laws were repealed, I doubt most people would take advantage of it. In fact, I know that's the case. Women are allowed to be topless in the entirety of New York State, and you are permitted to walk about stark naked in the city of Portland, but these things have taken no hold.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53423 on: October 04, 2012, 11:54:37 pm »

I'm mostly okay with public indecency laws because of cleanliness. I really don't want to carry a gallon of bleach if I decide to sit down on a park bench.
Clothes won't suddenly cease to exist. You sit your naked butt down on a dirty park bench, that's your own fault. And I seriously doubt they'll suddenly become dirty enough to make you concerned for your pants touching them.
Also, there are people who weigh more than 400lbs. They may not be ashamed of their bodies, but I am for them.
Ouch :P

As for the first one, you are correct. And I don't try to force that standard on others unless they're trying to sleep with me. Then it's fully within my rights. 
Thumbs up then :D

As for the second, because cultural mores and conditioned behavioral responses to such sights. Plus, it's really hard to work when you're distracted by the nekkid sexy. >.<
Well at least you admit that first part :P As for the second, desensitization will kick in after a while (which could be a bad thing, to some).

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53424 on: October 04, 2012, 11:57:33 pm »

Clothes won't suddenly cease to exist. You sit your naked butt down on a dirty park bench, that's your own fault. And I seriously doubt they'll suddenly become dirty enough to make you concerned for your pants touching them.

You know how some people (like me) wash their hands after they go to the bathroom? Studies show it would do more good to wash your... Ahem. Stuff. Because your hands are filthy. Hands are the dirtiest part of your body, even if you never bathe. Especially. So, sitting on the parkbench wouldn't be such a big deal to me. Shaking someone's hand while they weren't wearing clothes though? Ew, no thanks.
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53425 on: October 05, 2012, 12:00:15 am »

* Frumple vastly prefers bowing or inclining the head/nodding as a means of greeting to handshakes.

Partially for exactly that reason. The rest mostly being that I hate exerting more force than absolutely necessary and the whole hand squeeze cultural more is just something I neither "get" nor enjoy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53426 on: October 05, 2012, 01:05:14 am »

Handshakes suck for me because I've got a broken right pinky finger, and everyone seems to ignore you when they grab your hand and crush it. So I end up with grinding bone ends, shouting, "Hey, fucking stop that!"
The judge was most displeased until I explained he was maiming me.
He's fucking with us.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #53427 on: October 05, 2012, 01:38:01 am »

Strangely enough, handshakes are one of the few things my OCD lets me do.  Despite rationally knowing it's probably about as hygienic as sticking my hand up never mind I don't like where this thought is going, I can touch people's hands with no problems.  Even though I can't touch stuff that other people have touched.  Isn't that fun.

Also, I'm more then likely going to do badly on my SAT in a couple of days.  After that I have a month to study, then I get to take another one.  Joy.  When I inevitably fail to get into uni, I'll have to take some shitty job at some shitty place for shitty pay for the rest of my life, because I have no work experience.  My music is going nowhere, I get no enjoyment out of my hobbies any more, I have hardly any real friends, my family is awful, and I'm dedicated straight edge, so there's really no good option for not spending the rest of my days in tedium.
And to top it all off I won't get to play XCOM, the one potential non-crappy thing in my life, because I'll be too busy studying for my next test, which, of course, I'm practically guaranteed to mess up.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:50:12 am by Remalle »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53428 on: October 05, 2012, 01:39:17 am »

I prefer a mutual forearm/wrist grip, a fist bump, or a bow'n'waveoff. I just deal with too many people to enjoy shaking everyone's hand.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53429 on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:07 am »

Whenever I have to shake hands, I employ my CRUSHING GRIP and people stop trying to shake my hands. They don't complain either, since it would make them seem crazy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 3560 3561 [3562] 3563 3564 ... 8167