Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3544 3545 [3546] 3547 3548 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9463463 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #53175 on: October 02, 2012, 12:20:39 pm »

I don't know. I spent two years in a horrible, horrible crush over my history teacher. That got bad enough that I slit my wrists over her. I came out the other end...well, clingy.

Am I really the only person here who has a mental image of a couple of people huddled in a shivering little ball under the covers with their wrists slit open, staring into the sight of each other's eyes welling up?
That doesn't sound healthy.

No, it isn't, but...

I don't know. Somehow clinginess doesn't make me happy, but it makes me...content?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53176 on: October 02, 2012, 12:23:45 pm »

I don't mind some measure of codependence in relationships. Those if you in strong relationships (marriage or whatever) can't tell me you wouldn't be devastated if you lost your significant other. Life would go on, but it'd shake the foundations of your life... because your significant other IS one of the foundations of your life, no?

I suppose it's a matter of "how far is too far" along with "at what point in the relationship are they leaning on you." Huge warning sign if they're clingy after the first date... after 6 months, less so.

I don't know. Somehow clinginess doesn't make me happy, but it makes me...content?
I think the word you're looking for is "secure." Another thing that's not really unhealthy unless it's significant.

Everyone should feel secure and happy in their lover's arms. There's a problem though if they're not reasonably secure and happy the rest of the time.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #53177 on: October 02, 2012, 12:24:42 pm »

I'm a failure.

Again.
Love, scriver~

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #53178 on: October 02, 2012, 12:27:20 pm »

I don't mind some measure of codependence in relationships. Those if you in strong relationships (marriage or whatever) can't tell me you wouldn't be devastated if you lost your significant other. Life would go on, but it'd shake the foundations of your life... because your significant other IS one of the foundations of your life, no?

I suppose it's a matter of "how far is too far" along with "at what point in the relationship are they leaning on you." Huge warning sign if they're clingy after the first date... after 6 months, less so.

I think the word you're looking for is "secure." Another thing that's not really unhealthy unless it's significant.

Everyone should feel secure and happy in their lover's arms. There's a problem though if they're not reasonably secure and happy the rest of the time.

Well, I don't have a girlfriend/boyfriend (I'm het). So it's pining we're talking here.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53179 on: October 02, 2012, 12:29:27 pm »

I'm a failure.

Again.
Elaborate :( Though I can reasonably assure you it's not as bad as you think.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53180 on: October 02, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »

Well, I don't have a girlfriend/boyfriend (I'm het). So it's pining we're talking here.

Neither do I. Also het. Idk about you, but I'm pretty patient nowadays. Having seen what bad relationships are like, I know that no relationship is better than a bad one. It's been two years since I've been involved with anyone, and I've got to say its a good deal less stressful to be worrying about how to make yourself happy, rather than someone else.
Plus, you have to love yourself and want to make yourself happy before you can love someone else and make them happy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53181 on: October 02, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »

Of course I'd be devastated - but you don't have to be dependent on someone to be devastated by their lose. I am no longer dependent on my mother, and would not be dependent on my children, but I would imagine it would be much the same. I would be devastated because I cared.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53182 on: October 02, 2012, 01:10:08 pm »

Ah, might be some confusion on my part: I was referring to emotional dependence, IE someone to confide in, get sympathy from, affection from, etc. If it's financial dependence and such, you've got a very good point.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53183 on: October 02, 2012, 01:12:05 pm »

Coming to realize how bad I am at staying in touch with people I don't physically see regularly.

Had an email exchange with an old college friend (I was actually very close friends with his now-wife...makes things a bit awkwards at times), to let him know of our mutual friend losing his wife. He mentioned that they'd see if they could come down, but that they were headed out of town to bury his wife's father's ashes this weekend.

I respond with "Oh lord...you guys have my condolences. Give _____ (his wife) a big hug for me."

He responds with "I'll pass on your condolences, but just to clarify her father died a year ago. We're just now interring the ashes."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53184 on: October 02, 2012, 01:13:49 pm »

Coming to realize how bad I am at staying in touch with people I don't physically see regularly.

Ug, I'm terrible with this as well.  I'm sometimes surprised I have any friends at all considering how much I neglect them.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53185 on: October 02, 2012, 02:42:05 pm »

Ah, might be some confusion on my part: I was referring to emotional dependence, IE someone to confide in, get sympathy from, affection from, etc. If it's financial dependence and such, you've got a very good point.

None of these are "dependence". If my wife decides to go on a world trip for a month or two, I'll probably miss having her here, but I know she's alright, and I'll still be happy doing whatever until she comes back. Emotional dependence would pretty much make that impossible. There's no need or subordination. There is desire, sure - I like having her around, I want to be with her, but I do not not NEED either of those things to be happy - that would be emotional dependence, if her absence alone was enough to be depressing. If I was compelled to insure that couldn't happen, even engaging in destructive behaviors to prevent the risk of her leaving.

Like something, wanting something, enjoying something, none of these are dependence. I have friends and companions other than her as well, so I'm not dropping all that crushing responsibility on one person. Remember that the biggest problem of dependence is having someone dependent on you, who NEEDs you to solve their problems even when it would hurt you to provide for them, is not a fun place to be.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53186 on: October 02, 2012, 02:42:50 pm »

Um. So. Earlier I was reading videogame-related webcomics, chuckling quietly to myself, and I caught myself wishing I had an MMO to be addicted to, for something to do.

Yoink: Scaling new heights Plumbing new depths of Pathetic since '93!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53187 on: October 02, 2012, 02:45:46 pm »

Um. So. Earlier I was reading videogame-related webcomics, chuckling quietly to myself, and I caught myself wishing I had an MMO to be addicted to, for something to do.

Got any games worth replaying?
Else i can recommend some youtube videos. (still not doing anything, but you can LEARN)
Just search for "crash course world history".

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53188 on: October 02, 2012, 02:46:23 pm »

@Glyph

Okie dokie, I see where you're coming from. The confusion stemmed from me having a much looser definition of "dependence" than you. I absolutely agree with you, the way you put it.

Haha, MMOs aren't that bad. Great for making some gaming buddies.

If you're looking for something to do, pick up a hobby. Anything you've ever wanted to make, or do? Work toward that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53189 on: October 02, 2012, 02:49:59 pm »

Well, yeah. I know I could be doing something (at least kinda) productive, the sad part is that devoting all these hours of free time to a grindfest-y computer game seems more likely/realistic than, say, sharpening my neglected drawing skills or penning melancholy poetry or learning to play the trumpet etcetera... :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 3544 3545 [3546] 3547 3548 ... 8167