Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3543 3544 [3545] 3546 3547 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9463623 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #53160 on: October 02, 2012, 09:49:42 am »

Friend of mine had her boyfriend break up with her. She's taking it hard. He was actually a decent guy too, and maybe that's why ....

His only explanation: "I can't deal with this anymore; you're too needy."

[shrugs] I don't see what he's saying, but I guess there isn't a whole ton to be done about it if he feels that way. It sucks that she's just unable to stop crying and unable to eat/sleep. What can I say? Girls need certain things in relationships and they happily provide guys what they need so.... [sigh]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53161 on: October 02, 2012, 10:00:38 am »

IMO that's the sign he wasn't wanting as serious a relationship as her. Guys can be emotionally needy too (I sure as hell am), but that's a hassle if one side is just there for some casual fun and companionship.

Just an overall bad situation, rather than anyone's "fault," I'd say :(
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #53162 on: October 02, 2012, 10:11:24 am »

I have never really understood why people think clinginess is a bad thing.

Actually, I have a lot of thoughts on this subject...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53163 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:20 am »

Well it depends on a lot of factors. The affection alone is pretty much never a bad thing, but "clinginess" becomes an issue when it results in imposition. Everyone has their own limits for personal space and personal time, plus if one person is taking up all your time, you don't have any time for anyone else (friends/etc).
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #53164 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:20 am »

I have never really understood why people think clinginess is a bad thing.

Actually, I have a lot of thoughts on this subject...

Because it consumes you and cloyingly interferes with everything you do and everything you are.

It most likely means that she does not trust him and needs to be a part of everything he does and is, in order to make sure he has no other options or interests but her.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53165 on: October 02, 2012, 10:42:19 am »

Or it could just mean they wanted different things out of the relationship, and he wasn't able to reconcile that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53166 on: October 02, 2012, 10:44:15 am »

Could be a lot of things, really. Not a black and white situation at all, at least with the given information.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53167 on: October 02, 2012, 10:45:04 am »

Lets just say I would consider "clinginess" a huge reason to break it off with someone. A person acting like they can't live without me sets off all the "danger, danger, escape, escape, someone is trying to destroy you and everything you stand for for their own benefit" alarms.

* GlyphGryph shudders

A good relationship is about good dynamics, and struggling to escape the other party's attempts at suffocation are NOT good dynamics. At least not for me.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #53168 on: October 02, 2012, 11:34:26 am »

Lets just say I would consider "clinginess" a huge reason to break it off with someone. A person acting like they can't live without me sets off all the "danger, danger, escape, escape, someone is trying to destroy you and everything you stand for for their own benefit" alarms.

* GlyphGryph shudders

A good relationship is about good dynamics, and struggling to escape the other party's attempts at suffocation are NOT good dynamics. At least not for me.
The way that I think about it a good relationship is like a bridge between two pillars. The bridge makes both of the pillars something greater then either would have been individually, but each pillar can still stand on it's own if it needs to. Neither person in a good relationship should "need" the other person to the point that they will collapse completely if they aren't there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53169 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:59 am »

* GlyphGryph shudders

The way that I think about it a good relationship is like a bridge between two pillars. The bridge makes both of the pillars something greater then either would have been individually, but each pillar can still stand on it's own if it needs to. Neither person in a good relationship should "need" the other person to the point that they will collapse completely if they aren't there.

This. It's called independance and it's healthy. Codependence or interdependance is not healthy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #53170 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:51 am »

I don't know. I spent two years in a horrible, horrible crush over my history teacher. That got bad enough that I slit my wrists over her. I came out the other end...well, clingy.

Am I really the only person here who has a mental image of a couple of people huddled in a shivering little ball under the covers with their wrists slit open, staring into the sight of each other's eyes welling up?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53171 on: October 02, 2012, 11:51:09 am »

I don't know. I spent two years in a horrible, horrible crush over my history teacher. That got bad enough that I slit my wrists over her. I came out the other end...well, clingy.

Am I really the only person here who has a mental image of a couple of people huddled in a shivering little ball under the covers with their wrists slit open, staring into the sight of each other's eyes welling up?

God I hope so. That is incredibly unhealthy and not a good relationship. Cutting is bad, bro. :/ Being in a relationship doesn't mean clinging to the other person like a life preserver. It means being in a partnership to try and better each other's life. There is cooperation, not dependance. Sympathy, not smothering. Time spent apart in a relationship is really good for the relationship, under a certain amount of time. Six months apart is a bit much, but spending a week away from your partner makes you miss them and want to be with them more.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:53:40 am by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #53172 on: October 02, 2012, 11:51:46 am »

That doesn't sound healthy.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53173 on: October 02, 2012, 12:10:39 pm »

I have a slight feeling that YOU AT FINAL BOSS is nearing its end...
The greatest minimalist RTD to ever see the light of day.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53174 on: October 02, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »

I have a slight feeling that YOU AT FINAL BOSS is nearing its end...
The greatest minimalist RTD to ever see the light of day.

It is pretty much over. Everyone declared themselves an Ȩ̿ͧ͂̚͏̠̟̯ļ͈͈̔͊̃ͯ̊ͧ̓d͈̥͎̳͙ͨ͆ͪ̋̄͐͠r̟̤̐͆̇̉̄͑̚͜ḭ̹̆̿t̽ͣ͏̩̠͚̮͍͍̦͙̬c̖̳̺͇͚͍͈̃̕h̛̫̝̠͌̃́ ̛̪̈̾ͪ̎̓͂A̸̎̓҉͎͓̪̰̲͕͠b̑͆͟͏͖̳̞̳͙o̲͖̪͂ͪͮm̵͚̼̝̹̩̐͋ì̵̙̺̟̌͂ͯ̎̒̅͆ͧn̶͚̗̑͋̐ͪ͞a̴̝̦͖̖̪ͣ̓̎ͤ̑̈́͟͠tͦ̓̄̍҉̦̻͠i̡͔̫͍̪̼̜̊̊̉̍ͫ̉̈́͌ͨo͍͈̒̐̔̿̑̀̃̇̕͘ͅn̖̩̻̖̰̈́ͣͦͫ̑̀͘͡ͅ ahem, I mean an Eldritch Abomination, and it all went to pot from there.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 3543 3544 [3545] 3546 3547 ... 8167