Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3535 3536 [3537] 3538 3539 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465822 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #53040 on: September 29, 2012, 09:15:22 pm »

Where you're wrong is thinking you're "fundamentally inferior." You might be different, but that's not a bad thing.

One thing you ought to learn is that no one is truly "normal." People wear masks of normalcy because they feel it will make them more accepted by society around them. If you see someone you think is incredibly "normal," there's a good chance they're putting on a ruse, at least in some fashion, to achieve that. And in my experience, putting on a ruse never results in happiness.

You can't respect yourself until you accept yourself. You're not bad, you're not evil, you're not inferior. It is true that you are flawed, but that does not mean you're monstrous or grotesque. It means you're human.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:16:55 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53041 on: September 29, 2012, 09:26:38 pm »

I realized... a lot of my self-esteem issues stem from the fact that I've never had formal education starting from the end of first grade up until I've been able to build up funds to enter college. I feel as if I do not know anything, when in reality, I know I've been able to adapt and hide my lack of knowledge from people.

But even knowing it, I still can't get over the fact that I know very little, and tend to beat myself up mentally for it.

It hurts. I need to stop hurting myself.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53042 on: September 29, 2012, 09:28:30 pm »

Where you're wrong is thinking you're "fundamentally inferior." You might be different, but that's not a bad thing.

One thing you ought to learn is that no one is truly "normal." People wear masks of normalcy because they feel it will make them more accepted by society around them. If you see someone you think is incredibly "normal," there's a good chance they're putting on a ruse, at least in some fashion, to achieve that. And in my experience, putting on a ruse never results in happiness.

You can't respect yourself until you accept yourself. You're not bad, you're not evil, you're not inferior. It is true that you are flawed, but that does not mean you're monstrous or grotesque. It means you're human.

I suppose when I say 'normal', I should take a second to explain what I mean. I don't mean having a normal personality, but rather having had in their possessions like groups of friends and lifetime experiences that defines an ordinary person. You're very forgiving Kaijyuu, it's too bad that the rat race that culture and society accepts, is not. I feel like I'm far behind everyone, and in that way it's worse than being flawed, it's being outright defective.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53043 on: September 29, 2012, 09:31:21 pm »

I realized... a lot of my self-esteem issues stem from the fact that I've never had formal education starting from the end of first grade up until I've been able to build up funds to enter college. I feel as if I do not know anything, when in reality, I know I've been able to adapt and hide my lack of knowledge from people.

But even knowing it, I still can't get over the fact that I know very little, and tend to beat myself up mentally for it.

Au contraire, mon ami. You know it all. Plus, there's us. Any questions mighty Wikipedia or Google can't answer can probably either be answered by a real person on here, or don't have real answers.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53044 on: September 29, 2012, 09:35:16 pm »

That you do :)

* kaijyuu hugs

I wish I could find it, but... there was an old Saturday Night Live clip with Chris Farley, where Farley's character kept beating himself up. He'd make a minor mistake, then go on a long diatribe about how he "screwed up" and apologizing to everyone else for his incompetence. People with low self esteem do this; they over emphasize their faults, and thus, can't get past them. It's a damn vicious cycle, especially when it comes to social anxiety, as the self beating up isn't exactly good conversation material and tends to make things awkward (which leads to more self beating up, etc).

Stop hating yourself. You're awesome.

I suppose when I say 'normal', I should take a second to explain what I mean. I don't mean having a normal personality, but rather having had in their possessions like groups of friends and lifetime experiences that defines an ordinary person. You're very forgiving Kaijyuu, it's too bad that the rat race that culture and society accepts, is not. I feel like I'm far behind everyone, and in that way it's worse than being flawed, it's being outright defective.
Dude, you're not the only one with a messed up life. I'm 23, never been on a date (even though I talk big on the forums here :P ), only recently gained the motivation to move out, have almost 0 real life friends, and completed a 2 year college degree in 5 years.

You are not alone. You are not forsaken.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53045 on: September 29, 2012, 09:38:17 pm »

Why are you hating on forsaken? :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53046 on: September 29, 2012, 09:39:54 pm »

That statement would be more effective in real life, with the 2+ thousand Bay12er Forumites surrounding you. There are a lot of people who care. And beyond us, there's EVEN MORE people that care, even if they don't know you. Despite the massive amounts of shitty people in the world, there are nearly equal amounts of good, caring people.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53047 on: September 29, 2012, 09:42:28 pm »

Why are you hating on forsaken? :(
I'm not hating. He's a cool guy and all, but you know... the smell...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53048 on: September 29, 2012, 09:43:16 pm »

That statement would be more effective in real life, with the 2+ thousand Bay12er Forumites surrounding you. There are a lot of people who care. And beyond us, there's EVEN MORE people that care, even if they don't know you. Despite the massive amounts of shitty people in the world, there are nearly equal amounts of good, caring people.
Very true. The shitty people are just louder, so they tend to drown out the good folks.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53049 on: September 29, 2012, 09:43:56 pm »

On a 1:10 ratio though.

But it's good to know I have Bay12 to retreat to and not have to go through suicide.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53050 on: September 29, 2012, 09:45:49 pm »

Hey now, don't even joke about that sort of stuff   :(

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53051 on: September 29, 2012, 09:51:10 pm »

Hey now, don't even joke about that sort of stuff   :(

This. Don't you dare do that to us. :/
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53052 on: September 29, 2012, 09:52:32 pm »

Indeed. We like you too much :(

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53053 on: September 29, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »

Dude, you're not the only one with a messed up life. I'm 23, never been on a date (even though I talk big on the forums here :P ), only recently gained the motivation to move out, have almost 0 real life friends, and completed a 2 year college degree in 5 years.
Awww... I'll take you out on a date when I find my way to Seattle, if you're interested and not otherwise engaged by then. ^_^

But only if you buy me food from the giant pig tank. ;)

(Also, who knows how long it will take me. Maybe as much as a year and a half/two years. Hopefully less.)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53054 on: September 29, 2012, 09:56:50 pm »

Don't worry. I've gotten past that. Besides, Life owes me a little too much, and just pulling the plug right now means I won't be able to collect my dues.

So yeah, I won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Pages: 1 ... 3535 3536 [3537] 3538 3539 ... 8167