Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3522 3523 [3524] 3525 3526 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9461719 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52845 on: September 25, 2012, 01:08:59 am »

Ok I am not really much of a conversationalist either, but I do not think trying to have a one on one conversation with a complete stranger is the best way to start socializing. It is probably a little too much right now, but maybe you can make it a goal so that you have something to work up to. Try walking first, then you can learn how to run. :)

If you are not already doing it, it might help to keep yourself up to date with current events, like the news and anything else that you are interested in, so that you have more things that you are prepared to talk about with other people.

I mean, I'm pretty okay at my FNM's, where I have a (kinda sorta) old friend there that makes me feel a little bit more comfortable, and the act of playing a game and everyone being on atleast a similar page as to our interests makes things a bit easier. Same thing with the table tennis club I joined, I'm not sure if I mentioned that here. I mean, Table Tennis isn't exactly a social type of thing, but I try to be really friendly in the games. Though beyond that, I'm just being the same old hermetic self that I am, hiding in my house and being estranged from society, and generally I'm very unsatisfied with the life I'm habitually inflicting on myself.

I just want to feel less impotent and useless to meeting my own little social goals, I just want to stop going to sleep and waking up every morning and thinking to myself how pathetic I am.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52846 on: September 25, 2012, 02:01:50 am »

I went to the mall today for the specific purpose of trying to be more social.

Experience in socialness acquired: 0

I really do swear, it feels like I've just been spending my entire adolescent years avoiding speaking with people, and in a way almost training myself to not bother people. Now I'm a lonely adult faced with the challenged of doing the exact opposite.
Find a sales position? Good gravy, you learn to socialize fast. Alternatively, find interesting clubs in the area and join one.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #52847 on: September 25, 2012, 02:56:35 am »

Keep trying to make friends, that's the best advice I have, honestly.  The more people you meet, the better socializer you become, and the more compatible people you find.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #52848 on: September 25, 2012, 04:01:30 am »

What a hell of a day. It's getting so that I'm anticipating the next day I work more favourably than the next day I get to rest and relax. RPG session today just made me feel more out-of-place in the group and more useless in general, and as if to make my day even better, I was cooking and my clothes caught fire. Woo today.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52849 on: September 25, 2012, 04:05:33 am »

The pizza toppings thread made me really hungry, and I can't afford to make decent pizza.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52850 on: September 25, 2012, 04:41:30 am »

Y'know, I think I may have worked out part of why I was so strangely happy yesterday: I had an early night the night before.
Today, after staying up til 2-3AM, my inexplicable cheerfulness was replaced by tiredness and lethargy. I spent most of the day sleeping/lazing around. :-\ I didn't get much done, but least I ordered the CD I want to buy in a few days. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52851 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:36 am »

I. Cannot. Sleep.

It's 5:30 am. I went to bed at 8 pm. I've gotten up several times in frustration, playing random games trying to fatigue myself enough to sleep. I've yet to accomplish that.

No more mid day naps. Seriously, it screws up my sleep schedule so bad.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52852 on: September 25, 2012, 06:33:25 am »

My whole back hurts. And shoulders. And back-neck.
Love, scriver~

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52853 on: September 25, 2012, 07:27:18 am »

Y'know, I think I may have worked out part of why I was so strangely happy yesterday: I had an early night the night before.
Today, after staying up til 2-3AM, my inexplicable cheerfulness was replaced by tiredness and lethargy. I spent most of the day sleeping/lazing around. :-\ I didn't get much done, but least I ordered the CD I want to buy in a few days.

I've noticed the same thing.  I went a period where I stayed up until about 3AM nearly every night of the week, followed by getting up at 8AM 3-4 days of the week.  That didn't take long to utterly destroy any enthusiasm and energy I had.  I started going to bed earlier and I feel like a new person.  It was pretty shocking, because the lethargy from chronic sleep deprivation kind of came on so slowly.

Also, this:

I. Cannot. Sleep.

It's 5:30 am. I went to bed at 8 pm. I've gotten up several times in frustration, playing random games trying to fatigue myself enough to sleep. I've yet to accomplish that.

No more mid day naps. Seriously, it screws up my sleep schedule so bad.

No matter how tired and sleepy I am, I try to avoid sleeping during the day.  It just throws everything out of whack.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52854 on: September 25, 2012, 10:33:38 am »

Well, I guess when people go up the monetary tiers in real life, they subtly change too.

For example, my brothers both hate my crush for being "poor" (really just working class), and their taste in women tells them she's nondescript in their opinion.

Then they yap at me to be careful, since she will eventually just sap my money if I pursue her since she's "poor".

Funny how we used to be poor, but now, they're the ones giving the same judgement other rich people used to give us in days way back.

And the strangest thing? I honestly don't care for it in either way. Might have a really bad taste in girls, or I don't know.

Too drowned in self-esteem issues and general school stress to care about what they said. Although I most certainly didn't like them to know about who I liked, because they'd interfere with useless opinions.

Pretty funny of them to promise me they won't interfere with my choice in girls if I told them (which I didn't, by the way. They found out on their own), but now they're giving baseless judgements and general racism comments on my way and generally being disapproving while telling me they're not being disapproving.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52855 on: September 25, 2012, 10:56:11 am »

This also applies if they do have girlfriends, but you don't particularly like them. It applies double if they don't particularly like their girlfriends.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52856 on: September 25, 2012, 11:08:30 am »

Yeah, I'd say they can pretty much stuff it. No man can determine what another man finds attractive about a person. Now granted, there are times when friendly advice is called for to point out disqualifying factors (like when she's openly psychotic). Being "poor" is hardly a disqualifying factor.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52857 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:59 am »

Yeah, I'd say they can pretty much stuff it. No man can determine what another man finds attractive about a person. Now granted, there are times when friendly advice is called for to point out disqualifying factors (like when she's openly psychotic). Being "poor" is hardly a disqualifying factor.

Well yeah. Especially when you were once like that a HALF-YEAR AGO.

I don't know. People suddenly stereotype themselves into a different class. Probably subconscious.

And out of fear, I'm actually considering killing my emotions, keep myself from pursuing relationships just so they shut up. I hate myself.

This also applies if they do have girlfriends, but you don't particularly like them. It applies double if they don't particularly like their girlfriends.

Well, for one, I hate my eldest brother's GF. She's an obnoxious, whiny dominatrix. She's actually not even pretty, but that sounds like me being them so you can ignore that comment.

And I honestly don't know much about my elder brother's GF. She's... not really mysterious, it's just that my brother keeps everything a secret. He also wants to kind of dominate her, which is ironic considering he also hates the eldest bro's GF for the same exact trait she's been exerting on the eldest. D:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:18:44 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52858 on: September 25, 2012, 11:28:59 am »

A big part of it may be repressed/remembered shame. It can  be incredibly difficult for many people to cope with the fact that those around them simply have more. When someone with that problem gets into a greater degree of affluence, even if it's a fairly small jump such as owning a house instead of being at the whims of a slumlord, that is replaced with fear of returning to the prior state. This seems very odd and snobbish to those that haven't moved up, or who didn't have the same degree of shame at the previous lack.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52859 on: September 25, 2012, 11:51:11 am »

Take them to a video shop and have them resurfaced. Or, buy a resurfacer. Costs about $20 and you can do all your discs. I have another solution, but I'm not sure how kindly the community will take to it, so I'll keep it to myself for now.

Pages: 1 ... 3522 3523 [3524] 3525 3526 ... 8167