Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3521 3522 [3523] 3524 3525 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9460126 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52830 on: September 24, 2012, 09:33:17 pm »

I went to the mall today for the specific purpose of trying to be more social.

Experience in socialness acquired: 0

I really do swear, it feels like I've just been spending my entire adolescent years avoiding speaking with people, and in a way almost training myself to not bother people. Now I'm a lonely adult faced with the challenged of doing the exact opposite.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52831 on: September 24, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »

Take a foreign language course, maybe?  Forcible social interaction is an inevitability in those things.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52832 on: September 24, 2012, 09:51:51 pm »

Take a foreign language course, maybe?  Forcible social interaction is an inevitability in those things.

Also very little money. I have about 33 dollars to my name at the moment.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52833 on: September 24, 2012, 10:22:37 pm »

Things that made you sad today thread.
days behind in work, co workers make me look like unskilled nooby froob.
constant computer repairs
violent sickness and wet lungs, feeling of breathing fluid in lungs is horrible.
make me more sick and behind.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52834 on: September 24, 2012, 11:30:14 pm »

Apathy. At least I'll stop caring about it again tomorrow.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52835 on: September 24, 2012, 11:39:29 pm »

Not to quote myself, but are there any other places that I'm just overlooking in my foolishness?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52836 on: September 24, 2012, 11:46:15 pm »

Not to quote myself, but are there any other places that I'm just overlooking in my foolishness?

I sort of hate to say it, but work is usually one of the easiest places to socialize if you have lax supervisors or any sort of break/lunch time on-site. Being co-workers gives you a shared pool of topics to discuss (complaining about customers, complaining about supervisors, making fun of either of the former, complaining about work, etc.). If you get used to talking to people like that and figure out a little bit about them as individuals, you can work on less work-related conversations, which will hopefully help with speaking in other situations.

There's a reason why most peoples' circle of friends tend to overlap with their schoolmates in secondary or post-secondary, or with their co-workers: those are groups of people that you have to spend some degree of time around, so you tend to get to know them better and end up doing things outside of education or work with them. Of course I can only speak from secondhand experience, as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you when it comes to purely voluntary non-online interaction. Just a thought.

I almost hate to suggest it, but chatroulette? Ye gods, that sounds like a bad idea now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52837 on: September 24, 2012, 11:54:13 pm »

I sort of hate to say it, but work is usually one of the easiest places to socialize if you have lax supervisors or any sort of break/lunch time on-site. Being co-workers gives you a shared pool of topics to discuss (complaining about customers, complaining about supervisors, making fun of either of the former, complaining about work, etc.). If you get used to talking to people like that and figure out a little bit about them as individuals, you can work on less work-related conversations, which will hopefully help with speaking in other situations.

There's a reason why most peoples' circle of friends tend to overlap with their schoolmates in secondary or post-secondary, or with their co-workers: those are groups of people that you have to spend some degree of time around, so you tend to get to know them better and end up doing things outside of education or work with them. Of course I can only speak from secondhand experience, as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you when it comes to purely voluntary non-online interaction. Just a thought.

I almost hate to suggest it, but chatroulette? Ye gods, that sounds like a bad idea now.

I'd really hate to have my day soured by a stranger jamming his penis up to his webcam.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52838 on: September 25, 2012, 12:18:20 am »

That's why YOU have to do it FIRST.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52839 on: September 25, 2012, 12:19:13 am »

-.-
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52840 on: September 25, 2012, 12:20:43 am »

Hey man, when it comes to chat roulette, you have to be skilled at the quick draw.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52841 on: September 25, 2012, 12:27:10 am »

My best experience with chatroulette is meeting another guy lying on his bed in front of the computer.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52842 on: September 25, 2012, 12:30:12 am »

I've know my mother has been in mediocre health for some time. Tonight, I learned that her liver appears to be in the mid to late stages of failure... and with her outlook on life, I don't see her actively seeking treatment. It's an excuse to give up and die, and she's been looking for one of those for most of my life.

:(  :-[

Wish I knew something to say. Here for ya.

Thanks, man. I went to visit her and my stepdad today... she's apparently had no appetite and little energy, and was looking jaundiced and sunken-faced. Mentally, it was almost like she wasn't there with me. I'm glad to learn she's been getting tests to assess her condition, and figure out how to move forward, though.

When she left to go lay down, my Stepdad told me things aren't looking very good at all. It was hard to see an incredibly stoic man like him so close to tears. Apparently diabetes is hitting her at the same time, and the liver damage means she can't take medications or even painkillers. Apparently when the liver goes, the blood-brain barrier can't keep chemicals in your circulatory system from messing with your brain as well. I'm still waiting for more news from tests she's getting later this week.

CookieRaider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52843 on: September 25, 2012, 12:32:01 am »

I'd really hate to have my day soured by a stranger jamming his penis up to his webcam.

Ok I am not really much of a conversationalist either, but I do not think trying to have a one on one conversation with a complete stranger is the best way to start socializing. It is probably a little too much right now, but maybe you can make it a goal so that you have something to work up to. Try walking first, then you can learn how to run. :)

If you are not already doing it, it might help to keep yourself up to date with current events, like the news and anything else that you are interested in, so that you have more things that you are prepared to talk about with other people.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #52844 on: September 25, 2012, 12:33:40 am »

Ammonia builds up. Its usually treated with laxatives
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 3521 3522 [3523] 3524 3525 ... 8167