Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3513 3514 [3515] 3516 3517 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9461816 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52710 on: September 22, 2012, 01:46:59 pm »

Yeah. Those kill you.

Indeed. From the airport to our hotel was 65 pounds. That's like a hundred dollars for a fifteen minute cab ride.
Actually I was being literal.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52711 on: September 22, 2012, 01:54:49 pm »

Yeah, you'll not see them consulting atlases or using SatNav.
They have. The Knowledge

They don't always know who you are. If they do, they don't say, unless they know you know. You won't know it, but they will. If you are looking for a journey home, they will deliver you a journey home so great that any other mortal, nay not even a GOD could match.
What they have are a very particular set of skills; skills they have acquired over a very long career. Delivering people to where they most want to be. If they ever found their hands behind the wheel of a spacecraft, all it'd take is a string of words - "fly me to the moon," and they will drive you there and back so fast you won't even realize you left the atmosphere. If they could, they would be the first to enter the multiverse and pick out the tourist destinations for confused Terrans. They might have already done such a thing, but are bound by ascended Black cab driver oaths to speak of their voyages to none.
If you pay them, that'll be the end of it. They will deliver you safely to your destination, through rain, snow, dust and fire. But if you don't, you will have to seek alternate modes of transport and forever wonder about the opportunity you missed.

[/completely unbiased review on the average Black cab driver]

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #52712 on: September 22, 2012, 01:58:14 pm »

Glorious. Absolutely glorious.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52713 on: September 22, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »

Yeah, you'll not see them consulting atlases or using SatNav.
They have. The Knowledge

They don't always know who you are. If they do, they don't say, unless they know you know. You won't know it, but they will. If you are looking for a journey home, they will deliver you a journey home so great that any other mortal, nay not even a GOD could match.
What they have are a very particular set of skills; skills they have acquired over a very long career. Delivering people to where they most want to be. If they ever found their hands behind the wheel of a spacecraft, all it'd take is a string of words - "fly me to the moon," and they will drive you there and back so fast you won't even realize you left the atmosphere. If they could, they would be the first to enter the multiverse and pick out the tourist destinations for confused Terrans. They might have already done such a thing, but are bound by ascended Black cab driver oaths to speak of their voyages to none.
If you pay them, that'll be the end of it. They will deliver you safely to your destination, through rain, snow, dust and fire. But if you don't, you will have to seek alternate modes of transport and forever wonder about the opportunity you missed.

[/completely unbiased review on the average Black cab driver]

Oh, the airport cabbie was a yellow cab.

The one that took us from the hotel to the other hotel (cuz the hotel is special in the head) was a black cabbie. And yeah, it was nighttime, raining, heavy heavy traffic, and we got there in less time than it took for us to load up into the cab. And it was free.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52714 on: September 22, 2012, 11:39:53 pm »

Why... why were you taking a cab?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52715 on: September 22, 2012, 11:43:50 pm »

Why... why were you taking a cab?

Because it was London, and we'd never been there before. Also, it was raining, at night, and we'd just been awake for 48+ hours. Also, the hotel said our rooms weren't ready and we had to go to another of the same hotel to sleep. It was dumb.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52716 on: September 22, 2012, 11:53:56 pm »

Dude. It's called the train. Learn about it before you go there. Plus buses. Public transport rules in London.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52717 on: September 22, 2012, 11:56:32 pm »

I just realised GameFAQs which used to be my place to chat is now pretty much run by trolls... rather then having a healthy dose of trolling.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52718 on: September 23, 2012, 12:03:33 am »

It's been conquered by the Chaos of the WH40k that is the internet.
A funeral dirge:
AaaaaamAAAAAAzing Graaaceee - actually no, I'm bored.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #52719 on: September 23, 2012, 01:16:36 am »

What are you supposed to do when your friend wants to get engaged and you know they're happy now but you're confident this isn't the best relationship for them permanently?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52720 on: September 23, 2012, 01:18:34 am »

Be frank but also mention that you won't stop them, I'd say.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52721 on: September 23, 2012, 01:19:52 am »

Dude. It's called the train. Learn about it before you go there. Plus buses. Public transport rules in London.

Dude, it's called being American. We didn't have the confidence in our ability to navigate the train system necessary to do so, also we would have had to walk from the train station, at night, in the rain, carrying luggage, in a city of 2 million (I think) people, after 48 hours of sleep deprivation, to the hotel that we didn't know where it was located exactly.
So we took a cab.
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52722 on: September 23, 2012, 01:21:16 am »

Better than what I would've done: Sat on the curb in a state of panic.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52723 on: September 23, 2012, 01:24:08 am »

When we got to the hotel and they told us they didn't have rooms for us, my mom was about to kill someone. She's way scarier than my dad and my dad is a big, rough-and-tumble kind of person. She scared them into giving us the second cab ride for free.
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52724 on: September 23, 2012, 01:25:21 am »

What are you supposed to do when your friend wants to get engaged and you know they're happy now but you're confident this isn't the best relationship for them permanently?
(Re)state that long term relationships don't need a legal binding to remain stable? And that marriage isn't actually going to do anything meaningful besides announce their relationship even more publicly (which they can do without binding legal documents!) and set them up for any number of nasty legal complications down the road?

Barring that, recommend some sort of prenup or whatever that is that says that if a divorce comes around in the future they both walk away clean.

I'm all for long term monogamous relationships if that's what floats people's boats but marriage is a helluva' lot more than just a fancy ceremony and all of that more that actually does anything to their relationship that just staying together wouldn't involves a judge.

If they want a robed person in a powdered wig involved in their house and bedroom, well, more power to them, but I'd probably suggest they keep that kink outside of courtrooms.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3513 3514 [3515] 3516 3517 ... 8167