Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3508 3509 [3510] 3511 3512 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9463757 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52635 on: September 21, 2012, 11:04:02 am »

So there are these seminars for small business owners etc. They have speaker spots to give presentation.

Seems a large law firm has paid tens of thousands of dollars (my inside source says upwards of $30,000) for "exclusive" presentation rights....

This means I'm hosed and like all the other presenters have been asked not to come back (cause the large firm bought out the place essentially).

The best part, about 20 or 30 people there have complained to the seminar place saying they couldn't possibly afford the large law firm's rates! They charge $400/hour and up. I charge $150 and I don't round up to the quarter hour or any of that BS. So what are the smaller audience members supposed to do when they can't afford to spend $5000 on a legal service that last year was presented for about $1500? This is stupid.

So apparently you can basically buy an entire market of customers.... WTF?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:10:37 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #52636 on: September 21, 2012, 11:17:31 am »

Sadly I'm fairly sure not taking care of yourself makes you go to hell a few months sooner than it shortens your life. So while you don't want to live to be a 98 year old mess, you'll live to be a mess from 70-80 instead of from 90-98. I know some 85 year olds that can run faster and farther than I can at 20. I'm out of shape of course, but it's still impressive.

I can vouch for this. At the moment you can see lots of people living well into their eighties and nineties. The big difference between those who took reasonable care of themselves (and I'm not talking about crazy scheudles, just non-smoking, holding a reasonable weight, and so on) and those who didn't lies mainly in how much more likely to be a mess the latter are.  So the moral of the story: living healthier equals living longer AND better.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52637 on: September 21, 2012, 11:23:44 am »

Sadly I'm fairly sure not taking care of yourself makes you go to hell a few months sooner than it shortens your life. So while you don't want to live to be a 98 year old mess, you'll live to be a mess from 70-80 instead of from 90-98. I know some 85 year olds that can run faster and farther than I can at 20. I'm out of shape of course, but it's still impressive.

I can vouch for this. At the moment you can see lots of people living well into their eighties and nineties. The big difference between those who took reasonable care of themselves (and I'm not talking about crazy scheudles, just non-smoking, holding a reasonable weight, and so on) and those who didn't lies mainly in how much more likely to be a mess the latter are.  So the moral of the story: living healthier equals living longer AND better.

Like this guy:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/24/fauja-singh-guinness-marathon-record_n_1028529.html

94years old and still running marathons.  I'll be happy enough if I can still walk at that age(or even make it to that age)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:25:27 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52638 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:56 am »

Like this guy:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/24/fauja-singh-guinness-marathon-record_n_1028529.html

94years old and still running marathons.  I'll be happy enough if I can still walk at that age(or even make it to that age)
unfortunately my history teacher has given me a story about him running in a marathon and a really old man in front had something trailing down his legs

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52639 on: September 21, 2012, 11:32:38 am »

yup, truean.

big corporations are arseholes.
At least they're not forcing markets to let them sell opium to addicts.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #52640 on: September 21, 2012, 11:33:12 am »

unfortunately my history teacher has given me a story about him running in a marathon and a really old man in front had something trailing down his legs

The moral of the story is that you can't keep your digestive tract muscles quite as healthy as the rest of you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #52641 on: September 21, 2012, 11:35:18 am »

yup, truean.

big corporations are arseholes.
At least they're not forcing markets to let them sell opium to addicts.

Shhh. Don't give them ideas. :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52642 on: September 21, 2012, 11:42:07 am »

Mexican drug cartels kind of have dibs on that market already. Of course the US sells it's guns to them in return, or more accurately, they sell them to Americans that sell them to Mexican drug cartels, but I'm pretty sure all the corporations that lobby for the loose gun laws that allow this so easily know where those guns are going.

In a way, it's actually all a kind of crazy reverse opium wars scenario.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:43:40 am by Pnx »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #52643 on: September 21, 2012, 12:43:56 pm »

Wait wait wait, gun companies of the US are practically arming the drug war in Mexico? o___o?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52644 on: September 21, 2012, 12:46:13 pm »

The firearm black market has a lot of suppliers, iirc. US of course being a large one.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52645 on: September 21, 2012, 12:47:28 pm »

Wait wait wait, gun companies of the US are practically arming the drug war in Mexico? o___o?

Indeed. American business practices are... Well. Blindingly retarded, in many cases.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52646 on: September 21, 2012, 12:51:13 pm »

Not directly, not. They sell to gun shops (legally) who sell to purchasers (mostly legally).

The issue is with:
A. Purchasers who turn around and resell their firearms to buyers for the cartels.
B. Gun shops who sell to cartel buyers, knowingly or otherwise.
C. "Straw purchasers" who come in and claim they're buying it for themselves or as a gift for a family member but are actually purchasing them for reasons of A or B.

When you get a little old lady in Arizona buying 16 AR-15s in a year, you've probably got a straw purchaser. Or a crazy nut-gun grandma. In Arizona, that's probably a 50/50 split.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52647 on: September 21, 2012, 12:59:33 pm »

I actually have a novel that introduced me to the concept of straw purchasers. It was told from the gunrunner's perspective :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52648 on: September 21, 2012, 01:01:13 pm »

See, I don't drink coffee and I work nights. Waking up before 9 or ten o'clock makes me really hateful. REALLY hateful.
Yesterday I went to sleep with a cup of tea in my hands, and 1 O'clock in the morning I woke up with a cup of tea on my face.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52649 on: September 21, 2012, 01:02:21 pm »

I actually have a novel that introduced me to the concept of straw purchasers. It was told from the gunrunner's perspective :P
I Didn't Get Caught: a gunrunner's tale to make more money
By: Emannuel Blothis
Pages: 1 ... 3508 3509 [3510] 3511 3512 ... 8167