Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3507 3508 [3509] 3510 3511 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465189 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52620 on: September 21, 2012, 12:37:12 am »

Hmm. I discovered something interesting on wikipedia, I wonder if anyone has ever managed the Uberman sleep schedule. (6 20 minute naps. one every four hours.)

No thank you. I like sleep. Naps don't cut it.
Oh, me too. Anyone who has managed it is a god.

It will only relive some symptoms of sleep deprevation, not replace sleep entirely. You still need decent periods of sleep.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #52621 on: September 21, 2012, 01:48:47 am »

I hear the less extreme alternatives aren't as bad, though. With a single 4 hour chunk of sleep and 2-3 naps or something.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52622 on: September 21, 2012, 01:53:50 am »

Oh gog oh gog oh gog my first law lesson has begun. This is gonna suck.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #52623 on: September 21, 2012, 02:14:09 am »

Here's the thing about sleep:
Sleep is important.

So important, in fact, that basically everything with a brain sleeps. Think about that for a moment. It's so useful that creatures ranging from Savannah-dwelling monkeys to antarctic-dwelling birds do it. The purpose varies from species to species, but for evolution to so uniformly distribute that characteristic means it's really damn useful; as it comes with enough of a cost (vast spans of vulnerable, unconscious time) that it otherwise should have been all but eliminated from lifeforms.

Not only that, but there is the dream state, wherein we hallucinate vividly, are entirely paralyzed, and then our conscious mind forgets all about it. How it works exactly is one of the more mysterious aspects of the brain, but it generally improves things like learning, memory, and problem solving. In humans, aside from the general 'rest' benefits like giving time to heal and lowering metabolic rates during times of lower food access, it plays a big role in memory, creativity, and some aspects of intelligence.

Altering it to the point where it only succeeds in making you feel not-tired still won't get you most of those really important neurological benefits, as it will still be highly disrupting to both sleep cycles and dreaming of any sort.

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #52624 on: September 21, 2012, 02:19:01 am »

antarctic-dwelling birds
Penguins! :-D

I don't see how anyone can survive on 20 minute naps. That's crazy.

Also, I just burnt the shit out of my sandwich. And that was the last two pieces of bread and ham I had left :(

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52625 on: September 21, 2012, 02:19:47 am »

Also, I just burnt the shit out of my sandwich. And that was the last two pieces of bread and ham I had left :(
Grilled Ham-n-Cheese?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52626 on: September 21, 2012, 02:23:48 am »

Grilled Ham-n-Cheese?

Yeah. That was the idea. I would of had tomato with it too, but the only tomato I have is kind of gross...
I have one cucumber. What can I do with a cucumber?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52627 on: September 21, 2012, 02:24:27 am »

Grilled Ham-n-Cheese?

Yeah. That was the idea. I would of had tomato with it too, but the only tomato I have is kind of gross...
God dammit, now I'm hungry. All I have is milk.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52628 on: September 21, 2012, 02:28:47 am »

Grilled Ham-n-Cheese?

God dammit, now I'm hungry. All I have is milk.

Yes. I feel incredibly cheated out of my dinner, I was so looking forward to that grilled sandwich. There are exactly two things in my fridge: said cucumber and a can of coke. I don't think cucumbers and coke go together very well. Oh well, there's a first time for everything.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52629 on: September 21, 2012, 10:31:21 am »

I had a kitten in my lap one day, and was stroking it.  All of a sudden it purrs and pees on me.  I almost chucked it out the window.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52630 on: September 21, 2012, 10:32:17 am »

I see this thread derailing into "tell us your disgusting cat stories!"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52631 on: September 21, 2012, 10:37:47 am »

One time, I was sitting in a chair, minding a family garage sale with my cat sitting on my lap.
There were a couple of people rummaging through the stuff for sale, I'd greeted them and what-not, when suddenly 'PARRRP' my cat does this incredibly loud (and stinky) fart.
Now that was kinda embarassing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52632 on: September 21, 2012, 10:45:44 am »

I hear the less extreme alternatives aren't as bad, though. With a single 4 hour chunk of sleep and 2-3 naps or something.
....that's pretty close to my actual sleep schedule. 4-5 hours of "night sleep", plus maybe a half-hour nap in the car at lunchtime, and maybe another quick snooze in the evening after I get home. Over time, my body has gotten acclimated to running pretty well on 4-5 hours of sleep. Probably shaving months off my life, but they're all months at the end anyways when I'd be old and incoherent, so it's all good.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52633 on: September 21, 2012, 10:48:51 am »

I use exactly the same argument when people point out my high stress, high caffine, crap food and risk taking life style. I dont want to live to be a 98 year old mess.
This is a blank sig.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #52634 on: September 21, 2012, 10:52:24 am »

Sadly I'm fairly sure not taking care of yourself makes you go to hell a few months sooner than it shortens your life. So while you don't want to live to be a 98 year old mess, you'll live to be a mess from 70-80 instead of from 90-98. I know some 85 year olds that can run faster and farther than I can at 20. I'm out of shape of course, but it's still impressive.

My sad is that I can't breathe today. Someone hit a skunk in front of me last night and I swerved to avoid it, expertly dodging and putting it underneath my car. While it was still spraying. I know nothing about cars, but I think it hit wherever the hell your car grabs air for the air conditioning. So I was indirectly skunked by my car's air dispersal system. But that's not why I can't breathe.

Today, after a night of airing out the car, it was almost drivable without worrying too much about skunk smell permeating into my clothing. Almost. So I grabbed my brother's bottle of Ferbreze Sport and sprayed it in all of the air vents and on every surface that I couldn't see through.

Apparently Ferbreze sticks to your lungs, because I feel like I'm two seconds away from an asthma attack and I haven't been in my car for three hours.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"
Pages: 1 ... 3507 3508 [3509] 3510 3511 ... 8167