Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3504 3505 [3506] 3507 3508 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465904 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52575 on: September 20, 2012, 07:12:43 pm »

:( I have no idea what to do with jaded misanthropes either. Sympathies if you have to deal with it on a regular basis.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #52576 on: September 20, 2012, 07:21:00 pm »

I've never figured out how to deal with such folk D:  I often shun them if they can't be reasoned with.  Not a good solution I know, but ick :/

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52577 on: September 20, 2012, 07:24:01 pm »

Enterprise had the fewest "fanservice moments." Simply having an attractive character in an outfit that emphasizes it isn't real high on the scale (Thus, Troi, T'pol, and 7 are pretty much even). Shots of the character acting in-character in ways that emphasize it, or a somewhat naughty camera, only ratchet it up so far. The other series had a lot more epsiodes where there was some crazy scenario to make them strip things off or act suggestively, which is the real meat of fanservice, IMO. (Fortunately, none of the series had a very naughty camera, which is a large spike.)

Of course, I might be ignoring most of T'pol because I didn't find her very attractive.

I'm not sure Dax was really a Fanservice character, to be honest. The Dabo girls tended to fill that role in DS9.
Enterprise had the fewest fanservice moments?

It really didn't seem that way, it felt like they were trying to shove T'pol in a tank top and panties in my face all the time when I watched it. Then there were moments like that decontamination scene (my memory may be fuzzy, but I don't remember any of the other series having scenes where the character's nipples were poking out on camera), then there was all the massage stuff between Tucker and T'pol, which seemed to boil down to T'pol constantly saying, "Mr. Tucker, we're never going to have anything but a professional relationship, and I don't know why you keep feeling things might otherwise, now please pass the standard ration massage oil and scented candles, and put your hands all over my body."

Then there was other stuff, like the green skinned alien babes episode, or the mirror darkly stuff where all the female characters wear midrift baring uniforms that make it look like a teenage girl with a pair of scissors was recruited into the costuming department.

And as for the other stuff... yeah... I'm a bit of a misanthrope myself, but I generally try to keep it to myself and avoid ruining someone else's day. I'm not really sure what to do about that kind of thing.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52578 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:46 pm »

We don't seem to be on the same page as to what constitutes Fanservice. More precisely, we seem to disagree as to how significant a given moment raises the overall fanservice level. Even if we agree that the Tucker/T'pol scenes constitute fanservice, I put it at a fairly minor level, as it's part of a major character arc rather than random "let me massage you" scenes. There's only two Enterprise moments that really stand out in my memory as very blatant. The decon scene, and the Mirror Universe Sato. Compare that to the various scantily-clad planets that the TNG cast visited, along with the episode where Riker tries to get Picard laid, and it's fairly even, I think.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52579 on: September 20, 2012, 09:06:21 pm »

Star Trek Fanservice:

Original: Uhura/Sulu
TNG: Troi/Riker (bearded)/Picard's Voice
DS9: Dax/Sisko's Badassery/O'Brien's wife
VOY: 7o'9/Chakotay/possibly Paris sometimes.

Can't say for Enterprise, as I've never seen a single episode. As far as fanservice goes, the uniform is fanservice, in most cases, as the actors and actresses that fill them out have to do so with aplomb.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52580 on: September 20, 2012, 09:14:48 pm »

Well I just came back from a delicious meal at a restaurant. However, it was somewhat less tasty when it came back up. Second time this has happened recently: urge to binge followed by, well...

Gonna talk to a doctor about it. I'm already dangerously underweight and been suspecting I might have some sort of eating problem. Not gonna self diagnose though.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52581 on: September 20, 2012, 09:20:59 pm »

Second time at that restaurant, or in general? Because if it's the first, you might want to speak to your local health department.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52582 on: September 20, 2012, 09:23:43 pm »

Different restaurant. Different town, even :P

But yeah just a week ago the same thing happened.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52583 on: September 20, 2012, 09:26:10 pm »

Don't get into a cycle of overeating. That's how it starts. :P Stop yourself sooner, before you're full, even if there is food left on your plate.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52584 on: September 20, 2012, 09:27:28 pm »

Huh. Yeah, might want to see a doctor, just in case. Could just be some sort of stomach flu, or perhaps an allergy.

Ninja: Could be like Hans says, perhaps you overstuffed yourself :P

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52585 on: September 20, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »

I tried to pace myself this time! It's really weird though since I don't have such urges to binge at home. Maybe the food at home sucks :P

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52586 on: September 20, 2012, 09:30:25 pm »

I find myself doing something similar. I don't eat at home, like ever. So when I go out, I try to eat a bunch. But I'm not used to eating much, so my stomach has shrunk, meaning I can eat WAY less than I thought I could. So I end up vastly overeating. I usually don't throw up though.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52587 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:00 pm »

I tried to pace myself this time! It's really weird though since I don't have such urges to binge at home. Maybe the food at home sucks :P
Could be. I have no idea what your home-food is like, but restaurants tend to be mighty tasty and filling :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52588 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:00 pm »

Hard to stop m'self from overeating when I'm eating out, too. Mostly because shit is so damned expensive compared to just cooking it I have t'eat everything I get. Unless I get a t'go box, which is what usually happens.

But buffets. Great gott in himmel. All you can eat anything that doesn't let you take some back with you. I get sick almost every time, and feel horrible when I don't because 7-10 bucks would feed me at home for like 3-5 days on the low end and I gots t'get the money's worth if I'm already participating in someone overpaying and this is one goddamn meal. Argh!

Seriously though, check with doctor, maybe. At least cut back on how much you eat, anyway. Don't go anywhere you can't get a to-go box (/doggy bag/whatever-lets-you-take-it-home) and use it after you eat like, half. Or less. Whatever's appropriate. I hit that point when I was younger where I suddenly couldn't eat as much, so... behavior patterns changed a bit! Leftovers are great, and good fodder for cooking into something else. E: It's like... warm it up, toss it in a bowl of rice! Or potatoes, vegetables, whatever your stable is. What is it? WHO CARES! THROW IT IN ANYWAY!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Could be. I have no idea what your home-food is like, but restaurants tend to be mighty tasty and filling :D
Meeh. Sufficiently tasty and filling. Either me or someone else in the house can usually match, at the least, whatever they're able to pull out (though not with the time constrictions or conditions the restaurant chefs are working under). Restaurant just means not having to cook and clean, which is nice occasionally~
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:41:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52589 on: September 20, 2012, 09:39:58 pm »

Wow, uh..maybe it's good that I'm a big eater, even by American standards? Before this conversation, I never would've looked at it that way. The whole thing of overfilling yourself at a restaurant with one order is seriously alien to me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 3504 3505 [3506] 3507 3508 ... 8167