Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3496 3497 [3498] 3499 3500 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466675 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52455 on: September 19, 2012, 04:21:59 pm »

The major cause for my own depression is, in part, my consistently inconstant desires.

When you wake up every morning knowing exactly what you want, that all your effort up until then has been wasted, and that you'll never achieve your goals by the time your goals shift... it's difficult. It's difficult for anything you can do to yourself, anything you can change in your life, to help. Am I supposed to just... not change what I want? How? I, for one, don't know how to do that. And then, when I'm not depressed, that can happen every single day and it doesn't matter a bit! I'll just keep chugging on, happy as a clam, even knowing I'll probably be chugging along in a different direction soon enough.

But even in normal depressive episodes behavioral modification is hard, though it can help, but the first part is always figuring out what will work - or, even better, having someone who will force it on you, because you probably won't think there's much of a point or even care if it will help.

And all of this is irrelevant to the greater point

This is a thread for expression, sympathies and condolences, not solutions. A pretty good rule of thumb: Unless someone is looking for solutions, don't give them.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52456 on: September 19, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »

Nobody is helpless except those who think they are.
People definitely can be completely helpless, at least in certain ways. A cripple is helpless to walk. A depressive is helpless to be happy. They are not necessarily helpless in other ways, though.

Both Soli and Pisskop offered what they believed would help, so it's not like they wasn't caring.
I know their intent. It's not what they project when they give out self help advice, though.

I mean no ire to them, just saying what they're advocating isn't helping the root of the problem. At best, it's treating symptoms, and at worst, it's tossing additional guilt and shame on the person who's depressed by giving them the impression that it's their fault and responsibility.

We need to enpower people as well as comfort them.
Empowerment will come after their mood improves. What you're asking is sort of a "run before you can walk" thing.

Depression is a complex condition that tends to amplify its self over time. Symptoms become contributing factors to increased depression. It is a case where fighting some of the symtoms can help alleviate the cause.
This I'll accept as a decent argument. Yes, there's definitely a snowball effect going on, and yes the additional problems will have to be dealt with eventually. I'd argue the root of the problem needs to be discovered and fixed before the additional ones on top, though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:31:38 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52457 on: September 19, 2012, 04:59:00 pm »

Sorry if my post came across as harsh or cruel. It was sympathetic in its nature, and I was sure to add that expressing sadness is an important thing to do here. My natural reaction to someone having trouble is to want to help... and here, about all I can do is advise. Also, my advice is colored by my personal experience, and depression is something I'm very experienced with.

I can't speak as a therapist or psychologist, but I can say what tools I've developed to help myself get through bouts of depression. I first have to recognize my depression for what it is. Once I've identified it, I can understand that I'm not currently in the state of mind I'm always going to be in, and that I should try to act as I would act at any other time. Also, I tend to be tough on myself when dealing with these issues, because of how far I've let myself go in the past, and because I've known people who were very close to me who have taken it farther... and how rare and important each of our lives is. I don't tolerate sustained listlessness or feelings of worthlessness in myself, and tend to confront it head-on, as a false emotional construct created by my psychology or biochemistry, and direct my energy toward overcoming it rather than letting it limit or influence me. I treat it as my own challenge, and one I can work around with the right self-knowledge and mental tools... I won't be running at my best, but I don't like considering myself a victim of the disorder, and try to incorporate it as just another aspect of my life and personality.

All this said, I recognize that I should be checking myself before giving out unsolicited advice, and it should be said that what works for one doesn't always work for another... we've all got our unique troubles and ways of addressing them. I'm just hoping that sharing what works for me might inspire others to find ways to mitigate or deal with similar issues they're experiencing.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #52458 on: September 19, 2012, 05:11:20 pm »

kaijyuu: there is some weirdness in your quote attributions.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52459 on: September 19, 2012, 05:21:35 pm »

kaijyuu, I think you misunderstand me... but I nevertheless admire your stubborn passion. :)  I read your responses and we are not talking about the same thing.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52460 on: September 19, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »

KITTHULHU AM ALL ARE WE.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52461 on: September 19, 2012, 06:25:19 pm »

Oops, sorry xD
kaijyuu, I think you misunderstand me... but I nevertheless admire your stubborn passion. :)  I read your responses and we are not talking about the same thing.
Ah, okay. Apologies on my end if we're having a circular argument or I'm strawmaning you :(
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #52462 on: September 19, 2012, 06:34:46 pm »

Had some fantasies of how to kill myself yesterday. Even how to tell everyone so I wouldn't make anyone annoyed with me disappearing.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52463 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:34 pm »

Was it musing or 'random', or is it reoccuring?  I've had such fantascies before...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52464 on: September 19, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »

Had some fantasies of how to kill myself yesterday. Even how to tell everyone so I wouldn't make anyone annoyed with me disappearing.

Reading this makes me sad today.  :(
Through pain, I find wisdom.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52465 on: September 19, 2012, 07:25:40 pm »

I wouldn't be annoyed; I'd be very saddened. No matter what you said. You can portray yourself as much of a monster as you want and I'd know it was a lie.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #52466 on: September 19, 2012, 08:13:21 pm »

Math test. I knew how to solve all the problems, but ran out of time due to slow solving.
Since the test is relatively graded, and it was easy, my math grade is officially in the gutter.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52467 on: September 19, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »

Texted my lesbian friend, asking if I wierded her out or she just fell asleep. No response. Must. Resist. Urge. To reinforce. Mental armor.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52468 on: September 19, 2012, 09:11:17 pm »

Texted my lesbian friend, asking if I wierded her out or she just fell asleep. No response. Must. Resist. Urge. To reinforce. Mental armor.
Dude. You're fine. And if she did get offended it sure as hell isn't your fault.

Breathe :)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52469 on: September 19, 2012, 09:15:13 pm »

I know. But I'm tired of losing friends! So now I only accept one meatspace applicant at a time! And that makes them extra important! Admittedly, there are flaws in my planning logic!

I think I may be in a manic mood today. This may or may not be a good thing.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 3496 3497 [3498] 3499 3500 ... 8167