Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3495 3496 [3497] 3498 3499 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9469283 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52440 on: September 19, 2012, 03:49:33 pm »

Life changes, then, need to be implemented?

changes like:

I shouldn't drink so much.
I should stop smoking.
I need more exercise.
My friends are bad influences.
I have no long-term goals.
I don't do meaningful things with my time?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52441 on: September 19, 2012, 03:52:36 pm »

You're still blaming the depressed person for being depressed. Those type of things are symptoms, not causes (well except the friends one; that could definitely be a cause. And maybe the drug addictions.).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52442 on: September 19, 2012, 03:55:07 pm »

But the actions of the individual are the reasons for depression!  Wouldn't you be responsible for your own happiness?  Without changing the conditions that caused depression you are apt to sink back into it.

Ive been there plenty as a kid, it wasn't until I made my own goals that I found happiness and (as important) hope.

Not saying that we cant lean on one another... just that you have the power to change more than you think.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52443 on: September 19, 2012, 03:55:45 pm »

I don't get why some people are so infatuated with "self help." Leaning on others is nothing to be ashamed of if.
Because other people.

Also, apparently some people feel like they shouldn't have to put a burden on others.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52444 on: September 19, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »

But the actions of the individual are the reasons for depression!
Wrong.

Also, apparently some people feel like they shouldn't have to put a burden on others.
That's fine. What bugs me is people demanding others "fix their own problems" because they don't want the responsibility to help anyone else.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:57:43 pm by kaijyuu »
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #52445 on: September 19, 2012, 03:58:44 pm »

I'm sleepy, I have homework, I need to write my NHS application, and I left my gymclothes on the bus. :(
It's FEF, not FEOF

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52446 on: September 19, 2012, 04:00:34 pm »

I wouldn't say that I wouldn't want the responsibility, it's more that I'm bound to only make it worse and just stay away from these things. Also, it's terribly awkward and I wouldn't know what to do anyway.

Wait, you weren't talking about me were you.

>_>

<_<

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52447 on: September 19, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »

No, I wasn't talking about you, not unless you avoid responsibility to others because you don't want to be bothered :P

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52448 on: September 19, 2012, 04:04:00 pm »

That's fine. What bugs me is people demanding others "fix their own problems" because they don't want the responsibility to help anyone else.

I hope that's not what you think I'm communicating.  I can and do help others.  Just think we all can critically analyze our own lives.  Nobody is helpless except those who think they are.
PKs DF Mod!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52449 on: September 19, 2012, 04:04:27 pm »

No, I wasn't talking about you, not unless you avoid responsibility to others because you don't want to be bothered :P
That too.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #52450 on: September 19, 2012, 04:04:32 pm »

Depression is a complex condition that tends to amplify its self over time. Symptoms become contributing factors to increased depression. It is a case where fighting some of the symtoms can help alleviate the cause.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52451 on: September 19, 2012, 04:04:54 pm »

(6x Ninja)
Pisskop's stuff works for sadness, anyway. Or it can /help/, certainly not sufficient.

But it means jack shit in regards to depression, because changing all that can perk you up for a bit, maybe, it it's impossible to maintain it.

I should stop smoking.
I need more exercise.
Mean nothing to someone who is depressed. And accomplishing any of them when you're convinced it doesn't matter? Bit of a catch-22.

When the alternative is no friends at all, I'm not really certain how much of an improvement this could possible be. I've seen some people go down this route of course... but I'm not sure it helped. For some, it made things much worse, and their outlook at the time was basically the only reason they SAW them as bad influences - in better times, they just saw them as flawed human beings who were still fun to spend time with.

How, exactly, is someone supposed to change this? Sure, they can set goals, but that provides no benefit at all unless those goals have meaning or until you can start meaningfully working towards them (something that is unlikely to happen until your mood improves). And setting poor goals can be incredibly demoralizing.

When you're depressed, NOTHING you do is meaningful. So what exactly can a person do about this?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52452 on: September 19, 2012, 04:05:52 pm »

I'm sleepy, I have homework, I need to write my NHS application, and I left my gymclothes on the bus. :(
God damn do I hate leaving shit on the bus/train. At least gym clothes are easily replaceable I guess, still sucks. :/

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52453 on: September 19, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »

Life changes, then, need to be implemented?

changes like:

I should stop smoking.
I need more exercise.

When depressed, you might not have the willpower necessary to do that, and saying "they should or they are to blame for their state of mind" will not help but make it worse, as depressed people are already likely to suffer from feeling worthless and like they're doing everything wrong.

But the actions of the individual are the reasons for depression!  Wouldn't you be responsible for your own happiness?  Without changing the conditions that caused depression you are apt to sink back into it.

Ive been there plenty as a kid, it wasn't until I made my own goals that I found happiness and (as important) hope.

Not saying that we cant lean on one another... just that you have the power to change more than you think.

Please read up on depression and what it means for people.

But the actions of the individual are the reasons for depression!
Wrong.

I think it's more about people projecting their own unwillingness to burden other onto what other should do, rather than not wanting to help them. Both Soli and Pisskop offered what they believed would help, so it's not like they wasn't caring.
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52454 on: September 19, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »

(6x Ninja)
Pisskop's stuff works for sadness, anyway. Or it can /help/, certainly not sufficient.

But it means jack shit in regards to depression, because changing all that can perk you up for a bit, maybe, it it's impossible to maintain it.

I should stop smoking.
I need more exercise.
Mean nothing to someone who is depressed. And accomplishing any of them when you're convinced it doesn't matter? Bit of a catch-22.

When the alternative is no friends at all, I'm not really certain how much of an improvement this could possible be. I've seen some people go down this route of course... but I'm not sure it helped. For some, it made things much worse, and their outlook at the time was basically the only reason they SAW them as bad influences - in better times, they just saw them as flawed human beings who were still fun to spend time with.

How, exactly, is someone supposed to change this? Sure, they can set goals, but that provides no benefit at all unless those goals have meaning or until you can start meaningfully working towards them (something that is unlikely to happen until your mood improves). And setting poor goals can be incredibly demoralizing.

When you're depressed, NOTHING you do is meaningful. So what exactly can a person do about this?

They were just examples.  Ill not argue that depression makes everything seem meaningless.  it certainly does.
But:
1.) depression is only supposed to last 2 weeks - 1 month.  Any longer and it is a medical concern.  You should see a doctor.  At least examine your life or talk to a friend.
2.) Anybody who has struggled with chronic depression should know that not everything is useless.  It just feels unbearable and boring.  The(my) only solution is to make pragmatic goals and chug on through.  The depression should alleviate itself when you see your own achomplishments.

Excepting if its the achomplishments that depress you, as in an existential crisis.  Then the solution is finding a niche.  That means finding new thing to do.

We need to enpower people as well as comfort them.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3495 3496 [3497] 3498 3499 ... 8167