Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3454 3455 [3456] 3457 3458 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465505 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #51825 on: September 12, 2012, 02:40:42 pm »

Hot damn, man. That sucks.

Do what you love, not what other people tell you to do. D:
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51826 on: September 12, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »

Yeah, I don't expect to ever be able to make a living off of game development, it's like writing, I want to write because I want to write, not because I want to get rich off of it, these are things I don't expect to ever get rich off of, but I want to do them all the same...

I'm still gonna need a job to pay the bills though, and I'd like it to be something that pays well, and doesn't take up too much time to keep me from doing other projects. It'd also be nice if it were an interesting job, but I don't think I'm that picky.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51827 on: September 12, 2012, 03:39:27 pm »

Yeah, I don't expect to ever be able to make a living off of game development, it's like writing, I want to write because I want to write, not because I want to get rich off of it, these are things I don't expect to ever get rich off of, but I want to do them all the same...

I'm still gonna need a job to pay the bills though, and I'd like it to be something that pays well, and doesn't take up too much time to keep me from doing other projects. It'd also be nice if it were an interesting job, but I don't think I'm that picky.
Network engineering is fun, all you gotta do get internets, lan, and wifi working and other secured access stuff. Companies always need someone to setup their servers and network so its a pretty high demand workarea.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #51828 on: September 12, 2012, 04:52:21 pm »

I was reminded this morning by a random thought that I only have 17 days left to study for my Ph.D qualifying exam.  This will be the second and last time I will be allowed to take it.

If I fail it again, then the last couple of years I spent at the university will be completely pointless, since I already have a M.E.  Well, I guess not completely pointless, since I did learn a little bit and got an internship at a government funded lab out of the deal, but it does mean I'll never get a Ph.D from the computer science department of this university.  Needless to say I'd never have the heart to try again at a different university or department.

I also discovered yesterday that the research project I worked on for probably 6 months is now meaningless, since software has recently been released that solves the problem I was working on.  I never had a chance to publish it because I couldn't find any test data.  Oh well, I had pretty much given up on the hope of getting a publication out of it anyway.

And the day before that, I discovered that the poster that I submitted to the Supercomputing 2012 conference was rejected.  Not much of a surprise there.

So I've basically been spinning my wheels in grad school for a good year and a half now.  I am learning to thoroughly detest the entire process and environment.  I just want my diploma so I can leave.  I honestly don't care anymore about publications or whether or not I'll look like an attractive candidate for an academic profession.  I'll work at this little ISP quite happily in comparison to the absolutely unreal level of competitiveness that graduate school and academia fosters.

I hate working under competitive conditions like this.  Fighting for publications.  Fighting for grant money.  Fighting to prove that yes, I do know what the heck I'm talking about.  At least here if I produce halfway decent programs everyone is happy.

Bleh, it's tempting to cross post this in the depression thread, but I'm more frustrated than depressed I think.

But I guess that's all pretty unimportant compared to the potential trouble with the middle east again.  This crap is getting old.

Telgin, we're all still here for you.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #51829 on: September 12, 2012, 05:03:58 pm »

He meant 'which sport do you want to do?', I think. I can help you with some rules, too, but most of them involve running as fast as you can and staying between some lines.  :P
That's the spirit! :3

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51830 on: September 12, 2012, 05:08:32 pm »

The new season of Doctor Who is making me very sad.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51831 on: September 12, 2012, 05:09:46 pm »

The new season of Doctor Who is making me very sad.
Like, this sad?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51832 on: September 12, 2012, 05:11:24 pm »

Well, more angry-sad then sad-sad

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #51833 on: September 12, 2012, 05:15:29 pm »

Have to say, never seen any of Doctor Who.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #51834 on: September 12, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »

I had a bottle of Bailey's. Then I got bored. Now I just have a Bailey's bottle. This makes me sad.

On the plus side, one feels damn classy when listening to their Jazz collection whilst sipping Bailey's over Ice. Damn classy...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51835 on: September 12, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »

I think I've had something similar lying around, or was promised one, not really sure, but I do know I should get around to emptying it if it exists, beer isn't cutting it for this week X)

Also, damned Moby making awesome sad songs :c
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51836 on: September 12, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »

Telgin, we're all still here for you.

Thanks, but I'm fine, honest.  :)  I just needed to say that, it's been kind of building up for a while.  I keep telling myself one day I will have that diploma and I never have to think about it again.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51837 on: September 12, 2012, 07:10:39 pm »

Venting is good. Do it when you ever feel it necessary. And if anyone ever calls you whiny for it, you can let off even more steam by punching them in the face.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51838 on: September 12, 2012, 07:12:58 pm »

Bleh, I feel like I'm coughing my lungs out right now.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51839 on: September 12, 2012, 07:46:00 pm »

I'm four weeks in and I've already got a D+ in literacy. Fuck. Why can't I be less lazy? 3 of my assignments are missing, and most of the rest were turned in late. I'm a fucking failure.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace
Pages: 1 ... 3454 3455 [3456] 3457 3458 ... 8167