Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3453 3454 [3455] 3456 3457 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9463439 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #51810 on: September 12, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »

Hmm, i think that Belgian gun laws let me own a paintball gun. I'm not sure tough, my google-fu is weak.

EDIT:

Nope, paintball is only permitted for people above 16 years.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51811 on: September 12, 2012, 12:44:23 pm »

Hmm, i think that Belgian gun laws let me own a paintball gun. I'm not sure tough, my google-fu is weak.

EDIT:

Nope, paintball is only permitted for people above 16 years.
Oh. I guess we'll chalk that up to the ridiculously low amount of gun control around here.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51812 on: September 12, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »

So after putting it off until the absolute last minute, we finally sat down and discussed colleges. There's a big heap of papers sitting on the table right now. My mother wants me to get into pharmaceuticals because she thinks that'll be easier, me and my brother generally want to go into some kind of programming. Trouble is that I don't really know what I'm doing or where I want to go. It all feels like way too much to handle. I don't think I can do this.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51813 on: September 12, 2012, 12:51:14 pm »

programming depends on what market, gaming is pretty much full but corporate is desperate right now

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51814 on: September 12, 2012, 12:51:24 pm »

Question #1: Do you want to program, do pharmacology, or something else?  It doesn't matter what your mom thinks is better here, if you don't like a subject or don't want to do it, college is going to be very tough and no fun at all.

Fair warning that computer science is less about programming than you might expect though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51815 on: September 12, 2012, 12:52:04 pm »

NO.

FUCK CRICKET.
Wait, I didn't read your post and thought you were defending cricket. :P You're bashing it too, but in a humorous way? Carry on then.

...More on-topic, I just caught up on the 'Things That Made You X' threads, and Sad thread had by far the most pages. :-\

Let me break it down for you though:

Percentage of Sad Thread:
21% Banter
24% Knowledge
46% Support for Sads
9% Sads

So, don't feel too bad. *

*Numbers MAY have been pulled from somewhere dark.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51816 on: September 12, 2012, 12:53:28 pm »

*Numbers MAY have been pulled from somewhere dark.

Your mouth? ???

...Y'know, I see what you mean.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51817 on: September 12, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »

My mouth gets a lot of light, cuz I never shut up. I've actually got some hanging gardens going in there next week. The dentist thought it was a strange idea, but I finally convinced him of the merits.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51818 on: September 12, 2012, 12:56:39 pm »

LOL...tell your mother, "It's college, mom. I'll be getting into pharmaceuticals whether I major in it or not." ;D

If you were to go that route, you probably want to go biomedical/molecular biology. Straight-up chemical pharmacology is the COBOL of the drug industry.

I'd second what Telgin said, with the caveat of "pick something you enjoy that people will pay you for". The world has a surplus of English majors, creative writing majors and history majors.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51819 on: September 12, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »

Yeah, I'd kinda like to get into game development, but I'm fully aware how many kids there are out there that grew up playing games and decided that they wanted to make them when they grew up.

I want to see if I can make my own game along the lines of Iji or Cave Story one day, but that'd be more of a personal side project than a career.

Programming is something that interests me, but it's also something I seriously seem to suck at.

I'm honestly not sure what to do with myself.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51820 on: September 12, 2012, 01:24:26 pm »

Yeah, indie gaming is having a huge boom, it would be a bad idea to get into that now.
You can always do a small game as a hobby project (à la Angry Laser Space)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #51821 on: September 12, 2012, 01:43:35 pm »

Yeah, I'd kinda like to get into game development, but I'm fully aware how many kids there are out there that grew up playing games and decided that they wanted to make them when they grew up.

I want to see if I can make my own game along the lines of Iji or Cave Story one day, but that'd be more of a personal side project than a career.

Programming is something that interests me, but it's also something I seriously seem to suck at.

I'm honestly not sure what to do with myself.

Never bet your bank on being a game developer. If you get on at one of the major developers you will live in places with high costs of living and earn nearly minimum wage while working a hundred hours a week. Your life will be sacrificed on the altar of EA's innumerable sequels, and that is only if you are lucky enough to be the one hired among thousands clamoring for that one position.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51822 on: September 12, 2012, 01:59:49 pm »

Or you'll work for a smaller studio, putting in 160 hours a week. (They give you a full 8 hours of sleep. Just don't use it all in one night.)

I have a couple of friends who work for some smaller studios. I vaguely remember what they look like, because we never see them anymore.
EDIT: Oh, and after you've poured your heart and soul and months of your life into the product, you get to watch while some tweener named xxxKillMasterd00dxxx downvotes it online with the comment

Kinda kewl i guess but 2 many controls and the grafix suk. Needs moar bewbs. xD

And you'll have to live with knowing that it's illegal to track him down and skin him as a warning to others. It's a thankless career, is what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:04:09 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #51823 on: September 12, 2012, 02:09:12 pm »

This is why I like programming for the defense industry. My pay is middling, but I get great benefits, rarely have to pull overtime and if I get lucky, I can get on one of the contracts running out of one of the naval bases in Hawaii. But for now I am settling for sub tropical Panama City where the cost of living is pretty damn low and we still get 150 days of beach weather a year.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51824 on: September 12, 2012, 02:19:33 pm »

Speaking of career choices, another rambling rant was had by my mom. This time it was about me playing all the time, not having any skills whatsoever, then a vague threat about having to pay for everything next year. Then came the part that hit a bit too close and nearly caused me to tell her to piss off. The bit where she said that I could probably earn money with my art, if I put effort in it.

Really, you tell me that I could potentially live doing what I like, one year after I pleaded for signing up at an art academy of some sort, one year after you've said that if I had enough talent for a job like that I would already be earning money with it, a year after you conviced me that I'm better off studying engineering because it gives me a paying job.

FUCK

YOU

MOM
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 3453 3454 [3455] 3456 3457 ... 8167