Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3452 3453 [3454] 3455 3456 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465881 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #51795 on: September 12, 2012, 10:23:17 am »

Said my opinion to my dad that i'm not happy that i'll have nearly no time for gaming sunday, because some people are coming over. I usually keep that to myself, (and should have), because my dad reacted by saying that i'm on the computer too much. I know that i'm on it too much, but what else does he want me to do? I gave up on athletics since i need orthotics and heard that my feet arent aligned with my knees correctly (so i have to make more movements per step so i run alot slower), starting any sport at this age will basically dump me right into it without any knowledge of terminology or how the fuck i even do it... And i simply cant do shit in 2 hours. I'd probably spend all my time strolling around on B12 and then getting frustrated over doing it and not gaming...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51796 on: September 12, 2012, 10:23:19 am »

I was reminded this morning by a random thought that I only have 17 days left to study for my Ph.D qualifying exam.  This will be the second and last time I will be allowed to take it.

If I fail it again, then the last couple of years I spent at the university will be completely pointless, since I already have a M.E.  Well, I guess not completely pointless, since I did learn a little bit and got an internship at a government funded lab out of the deal, but it does mean I'll never get a Ph.D from the computer science department of this university.  Needless to say I'd never have the heart to try again at a different university or department.

I also discovered yesterday that the research project I worked on for probably 6 months is now meaningless, since software has recently been released that solves the problem I was working on.  I never had a chance to publish it because I couldn't find any test data.  Oh well, I had pretty much given up on the hope of getting a publication out of it anyway.

And the day before that, I discovered that the poster that I submitted to the Supercomputing 2012 conference was rejected.  Not much of a surprise there.

So I've basically been spinning my wheels in grad school for a good year and a half now.  I am learning to thoroughly detest the entire process and environment.  I just want my diploma so I can leave.  I honestly don't care anymore about publications or whether or not I'll look like an attractive candidate for an academic profession.  I'll work at this little ISP quite happily in comparison to the absolutely unreal level of competitiveness that graduate school and academia fosters.

I hate working under competitive conditions like this.  Fighting for publications.  Fighting for grant money.  Fighting to prove that yes, I do know what the heck I'm talking about.  At least here if I produce halfway decent programs everyone is happy.

Bleh, it's tempting to cross post this in the depression thread, but I'm more frustrated than depressed I think.

But I guess that's all pretty unimportant compared to the potential trouble with the middle east again.  This crap is getting old.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51797 on: September 12, 2012, 10:46:16 am »

Said my opinion to my dad that i'm not happy that i'll have nearly no time for gaming sunday, because some people are coming over. I usually keep that to myself, (and should have), because my dad reacted by saying that i'm on the computer too much. I know that i'm on it too much, but what else does he want me to do? I gave up on athletics since i need orthotics and heard that my feet arent aligned with my knees correctly (so i have to make more movements per step so i run alot slower), starting any sport at this age will basically dump me right into it without any knowledge of terminology or how the fuck i even do it... And i simply cant do shit in 2 hours. I'd probably spend all my time strolling around on B12 and then getting frustrated over doing it and not gaming...
What sport, bro? I could always help out with rules and terminology. Except for cricket. Because fuck cricket.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51798 on: September 12, 2012, 11:07:39 am »

Thats the point, i'm not doing any kind of sport atm, (except for biking 3.5 kilometers to school and another 3.5 back)

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #51799 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:51 am »

He meant 'which sport do you want to do?', I think. I can help you with some rules, too, but most of them involve running as fast as you can and staying between some lines.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51800 on: September 12, 2012, 11:54:48 am »

I dont really know what sport i would want to do.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51801 on: September 12, 2012, 11:56:19 am »

What sport, bro? I could always help out with rules and terminology. Except for cricket. Because fuck cricket.
He said sunday so imma go with Football

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51802 on: September 12, 2012, 11:57:00 am »

He meant 'which sport do you want to do?', I think. I can help you with some rules, too, but most of them involve running as fast as you can and staying between some lines.  :P
Often whilst wearing tight pants and playing with balls.

I dont really know what sport i would want to do.
Well then, how can I help you out!? :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51803 on: September 12, 2012, 11:58:38 am »

No, it was my brothers B-day and family is coming over, it'll probably be fun.

@MZ, i just wanted to vent my sad.

(sorry if this makes me sound like a dick, its not my intention)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51804 on: September 12, 2012, 12:01:14 pm »

Dude, cricket's awesome. What other sport can you get scores like "199 with 6 wickets taken on 63 overs to 211 on 56.3 overs....and a ripping close one that was!"
Meanwhile, some guy is trying very hard to play baseball, but keeps running between home plate and the pitcher's mound.
And it takes three days to play a game.
I'm convinced that cricket is just another one of those "oddball British humour" things. :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51805 on: September 12, 2012, 12:06:38 pm »

NO.

FUCK CRICKET.
Wait, I didn't read your post and thought you were defending cricket. :P You're bashing it too, but in a humorous way? Carry on then.

...More on-topic, I just caught up on the 'Things That Made You X' threads, and Sad thread had by far the most pages. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51806 on: September 12, 2012, 12:24:30 pm »

I know that i'm on it too much, but what else does he want me to do? I gave up on athletics since i need orthotics and heard that my feet arent aligned with my knees correctly (so i have to make more movements per step so i run alot slower), starting any sport at this age will basically dump me right into it without any knowledge of terminology or how the fuck i even do it... And i simply cant do shit in 2 hours.
Play one of the many sports that involves no use of the legs or feet?

Take up table tennis - no matter your age, there will probably be people happy to teach you and just have someone to fit some more games in against. Bowling is easy enough to pick up, and you can play it solo till you get the hang of it. Paintball is also super fun!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51807 on: September 12, 2012, 12:30:55 pm »

Paintball is also super fun!
And super expensive.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51808 on: September 12, 2012, 12:32:35 pm »

And i think i'm not old enough for it.

Table tennis sounds fun tough.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51809 on: September 12, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »

And i think i'm not old enough for it.
My 10 year old brother plays every couple months.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 3452 3453 [3454] 3455 3456 ... 8167