Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3389 3390 [3391] 3392 3393 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473635 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #50850 on: August 31, 2012, 06:51:50 am »

This is halfway a sad and a RRRAAAAGE moment.

Travelled two and a bit hours across the city to get to my five hour long peer mentoring lab class.

Got there.

All first years were there within the first 10 minutes, but one who got her train cancelled, then stuck in traffic, then got lost and headed to Avalon instead of Stabbies.

There were supposed to be as many third years as first, but NONE showed up. Our professor hunted around for them before giving up and just giving us the raw data for the assignment and leaving. It was an hour and a half into the class, and poor old REDACTED had just shown up only to be told "Here is the data, have fun." She fumed because she'd used $50 of petrol just getting to uni...

and I felt for her. I was annoyed too, but one bright spot was one of my pretty female friends drove me home. :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #50851 on: August 31, 2012, 10:08:18 am »

I just had a huge arguement with my mum and dad. When my dad tried to shake my hand and make peace I couldn't because of mild OCD. He mistook it for being disgusted with him just working out and being all sweaty, so he tried to grab me, just playing around. Cue me screaming DON'T at the top of my lungs over and over and feeling like a monster when I saw his face. I can't stop crying.
Did you get a chance to explain it to him? It would seem fairly strange at the time if he didn't know or forgot about your OCD. I'm sure he'll understand.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50852 on: August 31, 2012, 10:09:51 am »

I just had a huge arguement with my mum and dad. When my dad tried to shake my hand and make peace I couldn't because of mild OCD. He mistook it for being disgusted with him just working out and being all sweaty, so he tried to grab me, just playing around. Cue me screaming DON'T at the top of my lungs over and over and feeling like a monster when I saw his face. I can't stop crying.
D:

I give you all the internet hugs, man. If you're okay with that.

I hate family misunderstandings and arguments like that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50853 on: August 31, 2012, 10:21:26 am »

Same here, i hate when that shit happens.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #50854 on: August 31, 2012, 11:42:21 am »

Was up till 4am with tooth pain. Mother gave me one of the pain pills they give her for where her neck never healed right. She does not take them, because if she did, she would never wake up long enough to take the other pills she needs or feed herself or do anything really. They don't seem to affect me that strongly, but half the day is gone already and I don't think I am up for driving in to work today.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50855 on: August 31, 2012, 04:05:15 pm »

There was a long and ranty post here, but I decided to get rid of it, I guess writing it down made me realize how silly it was. Still, parents, can't live with them, can't really live without them :/
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50856 on: August 31, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »

Disclaimer: If you wanna feel happy at the moment, do not read this. This is horrible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Police state mentality :/
Hardly. You get to be a manager in a chain establishment of that sort by being willing to follow orders from corporate HQ. This means that, as a class, such positions are usually filled by subservient folks that obey Authority instinctively. This is most prevalent in small communities, where the chain leadership pays much more attention (in a city, any given chain will have multiple locations, so it's not too damaging if one screws up. If you only have one McDonalds or Stop and Go location in a town, that location is the company to the populace in that region.) In other words, the caller deliberately picked establishments where he knew that the managers would be highly inclined to obey someone they believed to be the Law.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50857 on: August 31, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »

Disclaimer: If you wanna feel happy at the moment, do not read this. This is horrible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Police state mentality :/
Hardly. You get to be a manager in a chain establishment of that sort by being willing to follow orders from corporate HQ. This means that, as a class, such positions are usually filled by subservient folks that obey Authority instinctively. This is most prevalent in small communities, where the chain leadership pays much more attention (in a city, any given chain will have multiple locations, so it's not too damaging if one screws up. If you only have one McDonalds or Stop and Go location in a town, that location is the company to the populace in that region.) In other words, the caller deliberately picked establishments where he knew that the managers would be highly inclined to obey someone they believed to be the Law.
People are fucking morons.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50858 on: August 31, 2012, 05:47:49 pm »

As long as submission to authority for submission's sake is seen as a sort of virtue, they will continue to be.

I distinctly recall about 10 years ago, I was in a sunday school class, and the teacher of all people had to convince the rest of us religious kids that you shouldn't do whatever people in authority tell you to. The example he used was Bill Clinton (as one you shouldn't submit to, because this was a religion class), and one of the kids vehemently disagreed the entire time. He was raised in a family where you do whta people above you say, no matter what, and that was supposed to be a good thing.

Makes me sick nowadays to think about it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50859 on: August 31, 2012, 09:20:32 pm »

Wow, I suddenly realize I don't know fucking everything and, in fact, am nowhere near the "logical genius" I thought I could live up to. Two weeks in and I'm pulling ~76% in chem, somewhere around ~85% in math and... I guess 95-100% in all my humanities and writing courses.

Honestly, I thought I was a nerd. A real computery, mathy nerd. You know, programmer type. But my first hint should have been that I can't stand programming, am easily confused by higher math and just generally hate logic-intensive subjects. In essence, I am the very portrait of my Meyers-Briggs personality type. I want to help people, not stare at a computer in a dark room all day. OH GOD WHAT DO I DO IM NOT AS SMART AS MY BLOATED TEENAGE EGO LED ME TO BELIEEEEVE.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #50860 on: August 31, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »

Wow, I suddenly realize I don't know fucking everything and, in fact, am nowhere near the "logical genius" I thought I could live up to. Two weeks in and I'm pulling ~76% in chem, somewhere around ~85% in math and... I guess 95-100% in all my humanities and writing courses.

Honestly, I thought I was a nerd. A real computery, mathy nerd. You know, programmer type. But my first hint should have been that I can't stand programming, am easily confused by higher math and just generally hate logic-intensive subjects. In essence, I am the very portrait of my Meyers-Briggs personality type. I want to help people, not stare at a computer in a dark room all day. OH GOD WHAT DO I DO IM NOT AS SMART AS MY BLOATED TEENAGE EGO LED ME TO BELIEEEEVE.

Blame the education system teaching to the lowest common denominator.

Funny enough your situation reminds me of my Social Psych professor's story of when he went to grad school he realized that he was just average when compared to the rest of the grad students. It's a shock to have your ego messed with, that's for sure. But it kinda takes some pressure off to realize you're human. Do the best you can and be happy knowing that you did.

Also, suck up to professors
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #50861 on: August 31, 2012, 10:01:35 pm »

It's actually much simpler than that: smarts only get you so far by themselves. In uni you'll realize that to get good marks your wits will help, but won't equal a "get out of hard work" free card anymore.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50862 on: August 31, 2012, 10:07:33 pm »

It's actually much simpler than that: smarts only get you so far by themselves. In uni you'll realize that to get good marks your wits will help, but won't equal a "get out of hard work" free card anymore.
this

I had to finish a 750 word essay for history in one night already, 6 pages of notes from english 101 which i have once a week, im literally playing classical music everyday for assignments in Music, and now im under pressure to join a club next week -_____-

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #50863 on: August 31, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »

I don't know about that. I find that the difference isn't so much that smarts can't get you out of the hard work, it's more that the professors no longer teach you everything in the class, expecting you to learn some of the things yourself by reading the book, etc. As such being intelligent will still get you out of hard work, it's just that many intelligent people never had to do anything outside of class before (as opposed to high achievers, who are the people working their butts off outside of class to get the 100%'s), where the majority of people have already been studying out of class so they are used to it.

You can think of it like this: If an intelligent person only needs to work on something for 50% of the time as a normal person to understand it, then in lower education they can get by without studying because the average person might spend a total of 1 hour studying for every 1 hour in class (2 hours x .5 = 1 hour, which can be done in class). When you get to college the workload has finally increased to the point where .5x the workload is greater then the amount of class time (i.e. 3 hours studying + 1 hour in-class = 4 hours; 4 x .5 = 2; 2>1). As such intelligent people have to go from 0 to a small number of hours of studying, which is a much more shocking change then going from 12 hours of study time a week to 18.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50864 on: September 01, 2012, 01:26:22 am »

Blargh I don't want to go real-life rafting I can't cast magic what if goblins jump on the boat
I'm just being silly. Doesn't change that I don't wanna go, though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 3389 3390 [3391] 3392 3393 ... 8167