Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3344 3345 [3346] 3347 3348 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487409 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #50175 on: August 18, 2012, 10:27:19 am »

It was probably the geek bit that makes folks react poorly.

Anyway, most of the computer frequenting glasses needing folks I know needed glasses long before they habituated any degree of computer use. I also know plenty of folks who are regular computer users that don't need them, and plenty of folks that aren't and do. If there's an actual causitive connection, I'd be pretty doubtful it's any greater than that between TV and poor eyesight -- regardless, it's definitely quite weak.

I will say that folks with weak eyes tend to use contacts if they're more socially active. There's not any meaningful correlation between social activity and computer habituation either, but folks who are do tend, from what I've seen, to downplay that habit. So it's easier to get a confirmation bias when a lot of folks who would otherwise be wearing glasses are wearing contacts.

As someone who wears glasses and contacts, I will agree with this. People seem to have this preconcieved notion that if you're wearing glasses, you know something about computers. This is a bit odd to me, as I use computers often, but know very little about fixing/working on them.
Also, I like that if I wear contacts, and meet someone, then wear my glasses the next time I see them, they're all wierded out. Or vice versa. It seems people expect you to do one or the other, not both. Also, I like that I'm physically inferior to others in a way no one notices if I prepare myself properly. :D
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50176 on: August 18, 2012, 10:31:04 am »

I'm considering the contacts thing. My glasses are so recognizable to my customer base, though, that when they see me on the town, they ask questions.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50177 on: August 18, 2012, 10:31:33 am »

I'm not old enough for contacts yet, but glasses are really a part of how i look. Show up without glasses, nobody recognises me, even my best friend. :3

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50178 on: August 18, 2012, 10:32:54 am »

I'm considering the contacts thing. My glasses are so recognizable to my customer base, though, that when they see me on the town, they ask questions.

Contacts are a total bitch compared to glasses, just saying. But there are some nice benefits, like apparently not wearing glasses is cuter.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50179 on: August 18, 2012, 10:34:08 am »

I'd probably only wear them a couple days a week or as a change of pace.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50180 on: August 18, 2012, 10:39:24 am »

Peripheral vision. Having clear peripheral vision is the only reason I ever even consider using contacts. Only problem being that I'm so used to it being blurry, suddenly having non-fuzzy data input coming from the outside edges of my visual field ends up giving information overload and headaches.

Still. Being able to read out of the corner of the eye is nice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50181 on: August 18, 2012, 10:45:39 am »

Peripheral vision. Having clear peripheral vision is the only reason I ever even consider using contacts. Only problem being that I'm so used to it being blurry, suddenly having non-fuzzy data input coming from the outside edges of my visual field ends up giving information overload and headaches.

Still. Being able to read out of the corner of the eye is nice.

Indeed. I have great peripheral vision even with glasses, its just all fuzzy. I think having poor vision makes you compensate by paying attention to detail. And movement. God, I notice movement so very well.
He's fucking with us.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50182 on: August 18, 2012, 10:53:03 am »

I consider glasses to be a part of me by now (been wearing them some 15-16 years) and I've gotten so used to them that it's just too wierd not wearing them all the time (except when I'm sleeping ofcourse). People have suggested contacts or surgery, but the only thing I would change is the screwy right eye (it's kinda leaning left a bit) because I can't get a proper picture when one of my eyes is inherently weaker and my brain has defaulted to using the left one most of the time (right one being mostly peripheral unless focusing on something specifically, which is quite tiring), this in turn is making it nearly impossible for me to achieve any symmetry (and I fucking love symmetry for some reason).

And one thing has been confusing me for a long long time, when I wear other people's glasses, or remove mine, the image is fine except a bit distorted in places and a bit more eyestrain is required to focus, yet, when other people wear mine they usually freak out at the distroted image or something. What's up with that shit?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50183 on: August 18, 2012, 11:01:40 am »

As someone who wears glasses and contacts, I will agree with this. People seem to have this preconcieved notion that if you're wearing glasses, you know something about computers. This is a bit odd to me, as I use computers often, but know very little about fixing/working on them.
BEING SHORT SIGHTED MAKES ME KNOW LINUX

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50184 on: August 18, 2012, 11:10:21 am »

BEING SHORT SIGHTED MAKES ME KNOW LINUX

AND BINARY! 110100 000100 1010102 101010!

but the only thing I would change is the screwy right eye (it's kinda leaning left a bit)

And one thing has been confusing me for a long long time, when I wear other people's glasses, or remove mine, the image is fine except a bit distorted in places and a bit more eyestrain is required to focus, yet, when other people wear mine they usually freak out at the distroted image or something. What's up with that shit?

This is why. You're glasses are a far different prescription than simply near- or far-sighted people would have experienced. But to you, it wouldn't be that big a change because... Shit, I don't know. You're a brain ninja?
He's fucking with us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #50185 on: August 18, 2012, 11:31:00 am »

My pseudogf has a night shift and I'm bored :(

I wanted to go out for dinner
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50186 on: August 18, 2012, 12:16:58 pm »

Pseudogf? Is she like... A friend with benefits + small amounts of romance? This is a new one to me.

Go out to dinner anyway. You don't have to have a date with you. :P
He's fucking with us.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50187 on: August 18, 2012, 03:18:19 pm »

So I'm feeling really tired and depressed and I'm not really sure why... I'm really hoping I'm not sliding back into the deep end of depression again.

Still, my brother is supposed to be coming over from the UK to visit at some point and he's supposed to help me get my life together. I'm not sure how well that's going to go but maybe it'll work out well.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #50188 on: August 18, 2012, 08:31:17 pm »

Pseudogf? Is she like... A friend with benefits + small amounts of romance? This is a new one to me.

Go out to dinner anyway. You don't have to have a date with you. :P
Hahaha, not everybody likes being that dude that eats alone, Landa  :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #50189 on: August 18, 2012, 08:43:17 pm »

If you eat alone, it's less likely that other people will steal your food goblins. True story.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 3344 3345 [3346] 3347 3348 ... 8167