Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3314 3315 [3316] 3317 3318 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419738 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49725 on: August 01, 2012, 01:16:40 pm »

My 70 something year old boss appears to have all but sold his law practice and most of us are without jobs. The new guy is only keeping two people. One is a secretary that is required to keep anything going at all. The other is a brand new associate with less than a year's experience. I've been here 5 years.[shrugs]

He said he'll do everything he can to place me, and that most of the clients like me and that he thinks I have a bright future. He also said he'd fill out a letter of recommendation.... I suppose at least it doesn't count as being "fired," as I never have been. However, I don't quite know what to call it. Basically the only lawyer my old boss was looking to hire was one with like a few hundred thousand to buy him out. Sorry, I don't have $500,000 or $750,000 to buy you out old man, so really there was nothing I could do. Somehow, "boss sold the business for several hundred thousand dollars and new guy wanted to slim down office to bare bones to basically remake it from nothing," doesn't quite pop on a resume'. I'm not eligible for unemployment compensation.

I just found out about this, like, right now basically. Maybe a couple of minutes ago, but really does that matter?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:40:53 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49726 on: August 01, 2012, 01:17:14 pm »

Doesn't say, just a small vaccine-like tube, has a red cap on it X)

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49727 on: August 01, 2012, 01:22:53 pm »

@Truean:
*hugs*
That truly sucks. I'd almost say "Can you sue?" but then that'd be getting all meta.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49728 on: August 01, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »

Redundancy is cruel... My hopes are with you, for all they're worth.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49729 on: August 01, 2012, 01:33:37 pm »

Thankfully I've already got my own small practice started (office, etc), but wow. He said he'll do everything he can to place me, and that most of the clients like me and that he thinks I have a bright future. He also said he'd fill out a letter of recommendation.... I suppose at least it doesn't count as being "fired," as I never have been. However, I don't quite know what to call it. Basically the only lawyer my old boss was looking to hire was one with like a few hundred thousand to buy him out. Sorry, I don't have $500,000 or $750,000 to buy you out old man, so really there was shit all I could do. Somehow, "boss sold the business for several hundred thousand dollars and new guy wanted to slim down office to bare bones to basically remake it from nothing," doesn't quite pop on a resume'. Also being technically an independent contractor means I'm not eligible for unemployment compensation, which is one of those cruel ironies of IC people paying more taxes.

At least you have options, and it's not like you're not employable.  You're a lawyer with a proven track records, and I'd bet anything that mergers and downsizing like that happen to law firms all the time.  I doubt there's a place in your state that would turn you away if they're looking to hire anybody.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49730 on: August 01, 2012, 01:44:51 pm »

Somehow, "boss sold the business for several hundred thousand dollars and new guy wanted to slim down office to bare bones to basically remake it from nothing," doesn't quite pop on a resume'.

Laid off during company restructuring?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49731 on: August 01, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »

Had to redo the whole thing, after fifteen minutes of working the bastard would shut down, afterwards going trough the first twenty seconds of boot-up before dying again, hopefully this time it works, because I'm out of paste and I really don't want to take it to the shop second time this week.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49732 on: August 01, 2012, 08:53:29 pm »

Somehow, "boss sold the business for several hundred thousand dollars and new guy wanted to slim down office to bare bones to basically remake it from nothing," doesn't quite pop on a resume'.

Laid off during company restructuring?
I would chop that all the way down to "Company restructured."

My sad: Fixed a computer for the neighbors. Spent several hours on it. Probably not going to get paid for it.

Why do I keep doing this to myself?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49733 on: August 01, 2012, 09:17:54 pm »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:38:49 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49734 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19:30 am »

Tru, you could do what my Lawyer pal back from undergrad days did when he was recently laid off: buy a boat, tell the world to fuck off and go sailing forever. Seems to work for him.
This is a blank sig.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49735 on: August 02, 2012, 06:50:41 am »

So one of my old friends just told me that she had had a crush on me about twelve months ago and wanted me to ask her out.

And at that time I wanted to ask her out, but decided against it.

Fuuuuu-------

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49736 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:14 am »

She could've just asked you. Don't blame yourself.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49737 on: August 02, 2012, 07:02:03 am »

Sadly i know first hand about this, many times over, but I've gotten better at actually talking to women i like, so I've got better prospects now.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49738 on: August 02, 2012, 07:52:07 am »

Yeah, that's true. Besides the lesbian ex-gf no girl has outrightly stated that she is interested in me, and I'm not about to put myself out there unless I'm ABSOLUTELY sure.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49739 on: August 02, 2012, 10:25:24 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:38:25 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 3314 3315 [3316] 3317 3318 ... 8167