Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3312 3313 [3314] 3315 3316 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423003 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49695 on: July 31, 2012, 09:08:23 pm »

Put your ear to the side of the case. If you can hear clicking (as opposed to the normal chatter), your HDD is dead. If not you may simply have large-scale data corruption that is being reported as damage. THere are tools to analyze this more completely. Plasing the HDD into another pc is risky. If you have data corruption caused by a virus, then that can spread to the uninfected box.

No clicking, doesn't make a sound.  But I did just get a Read Error from WinRAR on a file it tried to archive.  I could be up shit creek here.
That's not neccesarily bad. Once you have everything off the drive, do a full format on it to rebuild the filesystem. Then put it in another computer and run a scan on it. If you have hardware damage, it'll likely show up under such a scan.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49696 on: July 31, 2012, 09:16:38 pm »

Unless Smart Scan is something that comes with Windows, not an option.  I'll I've got is HP's manager thingy telling me the that the drive in port 0 is "At Risk".  I (somewhat accidentally) told it it's not at risk.  All of a sudden WinRAR is working a lot faster.  Not great but faster.  Go fig.

But yeah, I'd don't have a clue what the problem could be, or what I'm doing that could exacerbate it.  One question I would have, to anyone who knows this stuff, is would it be safer to plug the harddrive into another computer as a slave to back up the contents?  I kinda think it'd be less intensive on the drive than doing a shitload of data processing natively, but of course the drive would still have to run.  And if specific sectors are knocked out or something then it wouldn't matter either way.
you can run it as extra (for ide drives make sure to change the id pin configuration to slave) drive.
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html/ run this, this will pull up the smart attributes and tells you which one is failing  and if the drive is still good.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49697 on: July 31, 2012, 09:52:48 pm »

Once you have everything off the drive, do a full format on it to rebuild the filesystem. Then put it in another computer and run a scan on it. If you have hardware damage, it'll likely show up under such a scan.

The problem is, it's transferring files at an inconsistent but always glacial pace, and if it hits a Read Error it has to stop.  So I have to watch the thing to keep it moving, and the 2.6 gigs of stuff I'm trying to move right now has gotten about halfway through in two hours.  I can keep trying to move ever less "vital" stuff for as long as I'm willing to bother, but I can shake the feeling that it's going to give up the ghost at any moment and I might not even know when.

My confidence isn't helped that I accidentally tried to move a folder with 30 gigs in it, and immediately told it to cancel the move, and now almost three hours later the "Cancelling move" window is still cycling.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49698 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:17 pm »

Is self-diagnosing the same as putting a label to your problems so you can stop thinking about them so much?

the living decapitated dog video.

if that's not fake, who in their right fucking mind would do that to ANYTHING!?
It's fake. Things generally can't live without a head. Wikipedia has told me the tale of Mike the Headless Chicken, but the chicken wasn't fully headless, and I think a dog needs more left than a chicken to continue to function.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49699 on: August 01, 2012, 12:20:25 am »

A living thing is clinically dead when its brain ceases functioning. Decapitation = death in seconds.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49700 on: August 01, 2012, 12:21:13 am »

Wikipedia has told me the tale of Mike the Headless Chicken, but the chicken wasn't fully headless, and I think a dog needs more left than a chicken to continue to function.
Said chicken had the majority of its brain stem intact. I dunno if the chicken was some sort of mutant or if all chickens who survived the blood loss/etc could do it, though.

Is self-diagnosing the same as putting a label to your problems so you can stop thinking about them so much?
Labeling things stops one from thinking about them so much? News to me.

Anywho, if you're talking about self diagnosis with mental problems/etc, then I really doubt it. Self diagnosis happens when someone looks desperately for a reason for their perceived inadequacies so they have something to blame it on. Whether they're right or not can only be determined by a doctor, but you have people automatically assuming their self diagnosis is right or wrong and massive issues arise.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49701 on: August 01, 2012, 12:47:37 am »

Been busting my ass over the last 4 days to get moved out of my old appartment, clean up the place, and turn in the keys to the office before the end of the month. This culminated in the last 14 hours being spent doing continual heavy lifting, packing, intensive cleaning, and constant walking.

After filling a 5x10x10 storage unit with furniture and things I wouldn't miss, I packed my tiny car full of everything I'll need to make it until October, truly filling every gap from floor to ceiling everywhere but where I was sitting... my futon, vacuum, lamp, end table, computer, laundry basket, cookware, clothes, bedding, cleaning supplies, office chair, and plenty more besides. Just as midnight on the 1st rolls around, I say my final farewell to the appartment, and hit the road for my Dad's place.

I just now am getting settled here, 2 hours later. My feet are incredibly sore, along with all my muscles from legs to neck... but I made it. I managed to beat the deadline, and turn in my keys to the appartment in time.

Oh wait, what are the keys still doing on my keychain?

Guess I get to pay the fine, drive out to take care of things when the sun comes up in a few hours, and completely invalidate the last 14 hours of frantic work, before pulling a double shift at the lab to make up for having to take a "day off" yesterday.

<_________________<

Fail whale. Fail whale everywhere.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:50:44 am by Solifuge »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49702 on: August 01, 2012, 01:01:42 am »

I just had a severe case of the stupid. Now I know what it feels like being hungry to the point of gagging and vomiting. Not much fun, I'll say that.

Unless it was the medicine?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49703 on: August 01, 2012, 01:04:26 am »

Oh wait, what are the keys still doing on my keychain?

Guess I get to pay the fine, drive out to take care of things when the sun comes up in a few hours, and completely invalidate the last 14 hours of frantic work, before pulling a double shift at the lab to make up for having to take a "day off" yesterday.

<_________________<

Fail whale. Fail whale everywhere.

Apartment life man.  That young apartment life.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #49704 on: August 01, 2012, 01:04:57 am »

Someone interested in the development of a heart-lung machine. As Brukhonenko was.

The video is likely fake, but based on a real experiment, for the record  (which apparently did kind of work but was far less of a success than it's portrayal in the video)
http://ats.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/69/3/962
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49705 on: August 01, 2012, 01:06:56 am »

Labeling things stops one from thinking about them so much? News to me.

Anywho, if you're talking about self diagnosis with mental problems/etc, then I really doubt it. Self diagnosis happens when someone looks desperately for a reason for their perceived inadequacies so they have something to blame it on. Whether they're right or not can only be determined by a doctor, but you have people automatically assuming their self diagnosis is right or wrong and massive issues arise.
If I (do not fully assume, but) label myself as having Asperger's Syndrome and bipolar disorder, then I can stop mentally calling myself "insane" or "fucked up" or repeatedly asking "What the hell is wrong with me?" And then, I might be able to spend my time thinking about other things.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #49706 on: August 01, 2012, 01:11:46 am »

except... if you were right about your self-diagnosis, shouldn't you be looking for help for your issues? Bipolar disorder can be treated. Asperger's more difficult in that regard, but stuff secondary to it (eg, anxiety) could be addressed, too.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:13:53 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49707 on: August 01, 2012, 01:15:32 am »

Yeah, if you've reason to believe you have anything like those, go to a doctor, and learn for sure.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49708 on: August 01, 2012, 01:25:15 am »

I really don't know how I'd go about doing that, though. It's not like I can just walk up to the nearest mental health institution (of which I know none) and "do it". It takes time and money. I rarely care about my parents, but they've already taken all this trouble to raise me; I don't want to burden them with this, too. If I brought it up, it would probably cause them a lot of stress, and they (seem to) get stressed enough during my depressive spells (and half of my normal conversation with them), as well as dealing with everyday stress, and the stress I accidentally bring upon them. What it comes down to, I suppose, is that I don't feel as though I have the right; that it's something I should be dealing with myself. (I already feel bad about all of my complaining here.) The thought of talking to someone about this also makes me really nervous, for some reason.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49709 on: August 01, 2012, 01:28:51 am »

Let me put it this way: Untreated bipolar is a far, far larger hurdle to overcome than the monetary costs of visiting the doctor. If you're right, and you languish as-is, you'll be stuck between a metaphorical rock and a hard place.
Pages: 1 ... 3312 3313 [3314] 3315 3316 ... 8167