Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3309 3310 [3311] 3312 3313 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9427246 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49650 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:37 am »

If anyone is going to set up a beginners DnD game could you message me or something?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49651 on: July 30, 2012, 02:03:39 am »

Should make a really unforgiving, deadly campaign with an extremely high turnover, and give all these people a good first taste of Dnd. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49652 on: July 30, 2012, 02:03:56 am »

Yeah, I'd like a message as well, at least until we have an idea of what day/time to play.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49653 on: July 30, 2012, 02:25:11 am »

Should make a really unforgiving, deadly campaign with an extremely high turnover, and give all these people a good first taste of Dnd. :)
Tomb of Horrors.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #49654 on: July 30, 2012, 03:07:32 am »

"I'm level 10! I have 10 levels of Paladin AND 10 levels of ranger!"
What context is this in? I'm just kind of confused by it.
Heh, describing the Gestalt system. Basically you take two classes at a time, grabbing the best features from each. The above example would have an animal companions, special paladin mount, ranger and paladin casting, turn undead, two weapon fighting or archery feats, the works. The higher save bonuses, HD, and BAB apply, and you get all the class skills of both. (Though fortunately I haven't allowed people to play silly things like Wizard//Sorcerer. There'd be a lot of overlap, meaning that the only real benefit would be allowing you to have an unthinkably large amount of spells per day, including a metamagic-abusing side with lots of spells and a nova side that lets you use almost any spell whenever you want.)

Tomb of Horrors is a bit high level for a new campaign, unfortunately. (Also the 3.5 version is pretty weaksauce, and I don't have a good grasp of the original's system.) I've been working on upgrading it, but haven't found the time lately. But I imagine that almost any campaign stocked with fresh meat new players will have a fairly high turnover.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49655 on: July 30, 2012, 03:25:08 am »

That's neat. There's something like that introduced in the 4th Edition Player's Handbook 3, but I don't have the book with me so I can't confirm that. A bit more balanced / less powerful.

Tomb of Horrors could be okay for a new campaign, just not by the strict rules. I ran it with some low-level 4th edition characters, so it needed modification* anyway. Not a good first adventure, though. Definitely something better saved for later. It's also more fun once they've grown attached to their characters. For example, the one I ran included
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

* modification = substituting numbers with vague concepts, a process more commonly called bullshitting
I did a lot of modification, playing the free 3 (or 3.5?) modules provided by Wizards in 4th edition. And then without any specified rule system at all.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49656 on: July 30, 2012, 03:54:19 am »

Monday. *sigh*
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49657 on: July 30, 2012, 05:59:47 am »

I'd definitely be up for this DnD session. Perhaps we should move it into a new topic?

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #49658 on: July 30, 2012, 06:24:09 am »

I'd definitely be up for this DnD session. Perhaps we should move it into a new topic?

Yeah, because not being involved in this sweet game makes people sadder than before. So here's a thread. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114058.0

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49659 on: July 30, 2012, 10:01:33 am »

So they're developing a new less-invasive treatment for pectus excavatum using implanted magnets.

That part doesn't make me sad. The fact that I'm too old for it does. One, because I would like to have mine fixed. And two...well, just look at it! Who wouldn't want to be Tony Stark?!?  :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49660 on: July 30, 2012, 10:10:32 am »

How does that motherfucking work?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49661 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:09 am »

Brotip: Use more magnets for enhanced effect.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49662 on: July 30, 2012, 10:30:02 am »

That'd probably be dangerous for me...I'd be too buys trying to figure out fun tricks to do with it, like pouring iron fillings on my chest and shaping it into faux chest hair. Or somehow juicing the magnets up and trying to stick myself on the refrigerator door.

It works by implanting small magnets at specific points inside the ribcage and then a powerful magnet on the chest frontplate. The steady pull of the smaller magnets would, over time, pressure the bones in that direction without causing excruciating pain. It's like braces on your teeth only using magnets and on your ribcage. It works in part because 99.9% of people with pectus excavatum have one of a handful of genetic conditions which makes your connective tissue more pliable than the average person.

Considering the "traditional" treatment was to get a thoracic rib spreader and basically break your entire fucking rib cage off, bend/break it into the desired shape, then reattach it and wait months for the bones to knit while you're doped up on morphine....yeah, this is a good step forward.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49663 on: July 30, 2012, 10:35:05 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:43:55 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49664 on: July 30, 2012, 11:25:53 am »

The irony being that if I did, he'd get a public defender....

Next week on True Truean, a court clerk's error causes Truean to be appointed to defend the man who assaulted her in the lobby.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 3309 3310 [3311] 3312 3313 ... 8167