Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3303 3304 [3305] 3306 3307 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9433131 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49560 on: July 24, 2012, 12:10:11 pm »

I prefer curling. It's a bunch of dudes making themselves look like idiots, but turned into a sport!
I actually find curling rather fascinating, if for no other reason than trying to figure out how in the hell somebody came up with the idea.
"Och, ye know wat would make a good sport? You push that great big stone, and then Fergus and I will run in front of it, swishing wee brooms as fast as we can go."

Also, I'm a bigger Football (American) fan than I am Baseball, but such a huge moment for any team should be noted. The Mariners trading Ichiro Suzuki is like if the Lakers traded Kobe Bryant.
Using an NBA analogy is not earning back your lost Man points.  ???
It'd be more like if the Colts traded Peyton Manning. Oh wait...you see what I did there.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49561 on: July 24, 2012, 12:24:09 pm »

Curling is like shuffleboard on ice.

Curling > baseball

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49562 on: July 24, 2012, 12:26:06 pm »

Curling is like shuffleboard on ice.
With grown men sweeping with tiny brooms. That's kind of a key thing.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49563 on: July 24, 2012, 12:32:37 pm »

I prefer curling. It's a bunch of dudes making themselves look like idiots, but turned into a sport!
I actually find curling rather fascinating, if for no other reason than trying to figure out how in the hell somebody came up with the idea.
"Och, ye know wat would make a good sport? You push that great big stone, and then Fergus and I will run in front of it, swishing wee brooms as fast as we can go."
The first instances of curling were probably without the brooms, but then some smart guy found a way to circumvent the "no touching the stone behind the line" rule. Eventually, those broomsticks were incorporated into the regular rules.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49564 on: July 24, 2012, 12:33:42 pm »

Also, I'm a bigger Football (American) fan than I am Baseball, but such a huge moment for any team should be noted. The Mariners trading Ichiro Suzuki is like if the Lakers traded Kobe Bryant.
Using an NBA analogy is not earning back your lost Man points.  ???
It'd be more like if the Colts traded Peyton Manning. Oh wait...you see what I did there.
I wonder how the Broncos will do with Manning under center? I don't think that he'll be able to run ten audibles a play like he did in Indy, because the schemes aren't there and Josh McDaniels wouldn't be able to keep up. Also, Deymarius Thomas is a quick learner, but he's no Reggie Wayne.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49565 on: July 24, 2012, 12:47:35 pm »

The first instances of curling were probably without the brooms, but then some smart guy found a way to circumvent the "no touching the stone behind the line" rule. Eventually, those broomsticks were incorporated into the regular rules.
Well, except that the earliest known depictions of curling (paintings from the 1600s) show Scottish players holding long brooms. The explanation probably involves bored Scotsmen, heavy rocks, and more than a wee bit of single-malt (this is the same country that gave us competitive tree-throwing as a sport, after all...)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49566 on: July 24, 2012, 12:56:18 pm »

Well, except that the earliest known depictions of curling (paintings from the 1600s) show Scottish players holding long brooms. The explanation probably involves bored Scotsmen, heavy rocks, and more than a wee bit of single-malt (this is the same country that gave us competitive tree-throwing as a sport, after all...)
Also golf. How did all these come from the same country?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49567 on: July 24, 2012, 01:00:04 pm »

Curling loses points cuz it requires ice. Bloody cold climate-people and your weird sports... >:(

Other than that I have no idea what we are discussing now. Oh, golf is bad. I hate golf. Not only is it boring, golf courses are incredibly destructive environment-wise. Urgh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49568 on: July 24, 2012, 01:02:58 pm »

Golf is awesome. You are officially a Bad Person for not liking golf. Shame on you.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49569 on: July 24, 2012, 01:04:52 pm »

Y-you... You like golf? You are defending golf?

I...

* Yoink leaves the thread before derailing it with an angry, anti-golf tirade.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49570 on: July 24, 2012, 01:05:12 pm »

Also golf. How did all these come from the same country?

Have you seen the highlands? Gotta do something for entertainment.

I hate golf but it is like heroin for me. Shoot a round of 80 - great. Then spend the rest of time trying to get better - and seeing as you can never win at golf (can you get around in 0 shots? Heck, even 18 would be some kind of miracle) it slowly turns you into its bitch, forcing you to buy new golf bats and shoes and all sorts.
This is a blank sig.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #49571 on: July 24, 2012, 01:07:31 pm »

I think I will kill the Englishmen today with a giant sword.

What? Where is the skill in that? I am going to hit a wee stone with a club to kill my Englishmen today.

Are ye not a real Scotsman? I am going to hit the Englishmen with a sodding tree.

Are YE no true Scotsman!? I am going to kill the English wearing nothing but blue paint.

What do ye mean we can't kill the English today? Might as well find something else to do with these wee stones and clubs. Aye, and the trees. And don't forget the nudity and blue paint!
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49572 on: July 24, 2012, 01:07:49 pm »

And before you know it, you're wearing plaid and a silly hat, while a caddie named Marco follows you around licking your boots.

Ahhh, golf.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49573 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:46 pm »

Now I want to go play golf naked and painted blue.
Actually, no...I still don't want to play golf.

While we're on a WTF SCOTLAND? kick let's not forget shinty, the forerunner of ice hockey.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49574 on: July 24, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »

Having a terrible birthday.

We started off going to a breakfast place and everyone argued the entire time. I got my food and it came back substandard (They messed up the French Toast). So it was a rather "I would have rather stayed home" breakfast.

I accidently ended up having my new Vita returned and hurting someone's feelings inadvertingly. Mind you I wanted to return it, but the fact that I let out that the person should return it. Then after they returned it they asked me what I wanted and I said I didn't want anything (because there is nothing I want out right now. Anything close would be on "Good Old Games" but I don't want to bother people). I ended up with money, which is what I wanted but not at the price of stepping on someone. I would have rather kept the gift I cannot use then ever hint that it wasn't a great gift.

Plus the cake, the part I really love about my birthday (I don't get my favorite cake on anyother day, it isn't like a pizza), isn't really happening because someone had the idea to make it... but are entirely delusional about what goes into a good cake. Now they didn't put a single iota of effort into actually getting the ingrediants for this homemade cake and thus there isn't going to be one at all.

I think I am just going to take a nap.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:52:53 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 3303 3304 [3305] 3306 3307 ... 8167