Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3302 3303 [3304] 3305 3306 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9433076 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49545 on: July 23, 2012, 09:28:27 pm »

I was really kind of hoping to see Ichiro retire a Mariner. They got a wad of cash and two non-factor pitching prospects out of the deal, which makes no sense, as the Mariners need live bats, not pitchers.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49546 on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:38 am »

(Pardon any broken sentances and such... I'm writing this with a Nintendo Wiimote, and can only see about the last 10 words I typed. Convoluted way to access the internet, but it's better than nothing.)

The roommate finished moving his stuff out of the appartment tonight. I'm here through the end of the month, after which point it looks like I'll be moving in with my Dad and a friend of his, while I look for a new place. It's too empty, and too quiet... doesn't really feel like home anymore.

Just got done saying goodbye to the cat I've lived with for as long as I've been here. I brought her in almost 2 years ago, when fall frost was starting to set in... a cold, half-dead runt of a kitten when I first saw her. She'd been the byproduct of a barn-cat situation, abandoned to the elements for a day or more. Though she was old enough to open her eyes, she was very weak, and could barely walk... partially from starvation, and partially because she'd been discovered when my former roommate's mother stepped on and broke through a wood pallette into which the abandoned kitten had crawled, crushing one of her toes.

When I heard about her, I was between jobs, and my depression had been hitting me really hard; I really needed something constructive to focus my energy on. I made up my mind to make sure the little cat would pull through, and decided to take her in. I didn't have the money for a vet visit, so I did some research and got her hydrated first, to compensate for the diarrhea she'd had... I think she'd been fed a tiny bit of wet food, and was neither old enough or had the energy to digest anything. The first days were the worst... I sat with her most of the night, making sure she got water, and  kept her warm. Once she looked a bit better, we transitioned to formula from a bottle, which I could only get her to eat when she was on her back... though she was weak, she attacked the bottle in a frenzy, raking it and my hand with her back claws like she was trying to kill... it was painful, but pretty hillarious. Over the next few weeks, she started to get her strength back, and explored my Spartanly furnished apartment. She still hobbled a bit with her squashed toe, the claw clicking against the tile floor since it couldn't retract anymore, but she was nimble and completely fearless. I named her Freyja, for the norse goddess of valor and love.

I went on to show her the ropes with the litter box, and transitioned her to thickened formula in a shallow bowl, which she learned to scoop up with a paw and eat. She went on to do the same thing with solid kibble. I had a second scare with her, when my roommate left out some oil pastel crayons, which she ate one night; I literally caught her red-handed, since she'd stained her paws red when scooping them up to eat. Her digestion ground to a halt, and she couldn't eat, drink, or go to the litterbox for almost a week, and grew weak and listless again. I used part of my student loan living-expense money to cover a proper vet visit, and got her an X-Ray, a liquid food supplement that was calorie-heavy, and some other stuff to treat her. She eventually pulled through, and the litter box was very colorful for the next few days.

It's been almost 2 years since I brought her in. She's still not grown much... maybe a foot long from nose to rump, with another foot or more of poofy tail... literally a dwarf of a cat. I'd share some pictures, but I don't think I can do that from here, and can't find the URLs of the old ones I uploaded. Tonight, she went back with my roommate to the farm I rescued her from, since I can't take her with me when I move in with my Dad. It's so quiet here now... I'm used to her ripping her way at high-speed up and down the hallway, bounding sideways around shoes or chairlegs, chasing an ant or glint of light. She was never really a lap cat, but would always sit maybe a meter away from my feet, making little chirping sounds until I paid attention to her.

TL;DR. Cat's gone, roommate's gone, internet's gone (I'm typing this using a Nintendo Wii that's somehow getting wireless from somewhere). It's getting pretty lonely here.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:45:27 am by Solifuge »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #49547 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:38 am »

Solifuge, that's a fantastic story. I hope you still get to see her some.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49548 on: July 24, 2012, 06:27:41 am »

Dude, that's so... Sweet. But sad that you can't keep her. :( Still, I'm glad you shared that story.
Also, what PoH said.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49549 on: July 24, 2012, 07:47:45 am »

I'm sad that Solifuge is having to type with a Wiimote.

Also, sad that you guys were discussing baseball before that. There is perhaps no sport I could less care about (except possibly the NBA...but I enjoy college basketball).

EDIT: Also sad that Hyperbole and a Half hasn't been updated in almost two years. From what snippets I can find, at least Allie's getting some help for her depression.   :-\
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:44:26 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49550 on: July 24, 2012, 11:40:05 am »

Wait what, baseball is pretty cool, as sports go! Sure better than cricket, which I am supposed to like due to being Australian. :P

Booze is Life for Yoink

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49551 on: July 24, 2012, 11:41:48 am »

As far as sports that involve hitting balls with wooden bats go, the one that is based on a galaxy-wide war is kinda cooler.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49552 on: July 24, 2012, 11:52:59 am »

So I woke up and Jesus Christ flies are covering my window~! A single swipe with the bug spray wiped out about 15-20 of them...

What are you doing bugs, get out of my house.

And while I don't know how typing on the Wiimote is done, but if it's done through manual letter pressing like every other console, I have nothing but a deep mixture of respect and pity for Solifuge for typing that entire post out.

I hope your situation with Freyja turns out well.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49553 on: July 24, 2012, 11:55:01 am »

Cricket is baseball made interesting.

So I woke up and Jesus Christ flies are covering my window~! A single swipe with the bug spray wiped out about 15-20 of them...
Well that's no use. You know they're just going to come back three days later.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49554 on: July 24, 2012, 11:55:18 am »

Wait what, baseball is pretty cool, as sports go! Sure better than cricket, which I am supposed to like due to being Australian. :P

It is a common misconception that there are sports other than cricket.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #49555 on: July 24, 2012, 11:57:15 am »

I prefer curling. It's a bunch of dudes making themselves look like idiots, but turned into a sport!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49556 on: July 24, 2012, 11:59:45 am »

That's it. I'm adding "Become a Professional Baseball Player" to my list of things to do in life.

...Somewhere between becoming a cyborg and learning to ride a skateboard, admittedly...
Booze is Life for Yoink

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49557 on: July 24, 2012, 12:00:11 pm »

Solidude, plug a keyboard into one of the USBs on the back of the Wii, if you haven't already. If it doesn't work, update the browser from the Wii Shop.

Also, I'm a bigger Football (American) fan than I am Baseball, but such a huge moment for any team should be noted. The Mariners trading Ichiro Suzuki is like if the Lakers traded Kobe Bryant.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49558 on: July 24, 2012, 12:00:47 pm »

I prefer curling. It's a bunch of dudes making themselves look like idiots, but turned into a sport!
Honestly, isn't that every sport ever?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #49559 on: July 24, 2012, 12:09:41 pm »

Curling is significantly goofier than average.
Pages: 1 ... 3302 3303 [3304] 3305 3306 ... 8167