Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3299 3300 [3301] 3302 3303 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435875 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49500 on: July 21, 2012, 06:56:29 pm »

It's the basics of bartering.  ???
You look like you need it a lot? Prices go up.
Or, $5000 for a possible amount of work isn't going to be applicable to lots of assured work.
But yeah, before things blow up, lawyers are for bourgeois :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49501 on: July 21, 2012, 07:00:40 pm »

On another note, you know what else is making me sad, stupid stories like this: http://education.yahoo.net/articles/careers_for_hipsters.htm?kid=1MNC5

Do... do people not realize these are just advertisements. They have nothing to do with what type of career is good for you. They have everything to do with what type of classes some school is selling. Who knows if they will pay off for you or not. I happen to know that the paralegal thing is a lie. I know like 7 people who have that degree right now who are begging me for jobs, leads on jobs, etc. Pretty it ain't. The articles seem to all mention "paralegal" for just about any type of person. In fact, several of these "featured careers" go to just about any type of person. I mean, Isn't it interest that paralegal is listed as the career for both introvert and extrovert and hipster (and like 7 other types of people)?

And I'm sorry but "for hipsters?" Re... really? Somebody's marketing department is going that far huh?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:57:00 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49502 on: July 21, 2012, 07:40:42 pm »

I think my copy of Pokemon White fell into the river.

Shit, I'm never going to see that again.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49503 on: July 21, 2012, 07:52:38 pm »

I know the feeling, except I have no idea where my missing games went. Lotta history in them games of old.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #49504 on: July 21, 2012, 07:53:49 pm »

Woulda been harder to find if it were Pokemon blue, assuming of course you weren't in white water rapids  :P

But in all seriousness, you just reminded me of one of the saddest moments of my life. When I rediscovered my old copy of Pokemon blue five years after I had played. I got so excited as I rummaged through my old belongings looking for my damn Gameboy color. I remembered Shinotsa, my old Blastoise, the only of my named Pokemon as I pillaged drawers looking for batteries. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore and did the age old trick of cannibalizing from the T.V. remote. I turned it on, excited to see all of the friends that I had spent over a year with. I had worked for them, worked with them; triumphed and failed by their sides. I watched the opening video for old times sake, feeling that inexplicably wonderful nostalgia you can only get from reliving part of your childhood. It scrolled through sprites of Pokemon as it waited for me to press start. I did.

I paused for a moment, wondering why the menu looked smaller than I remembered. Then I noticed the cursor was on the first selection. The little pointer read off the words "NEW GAME" to me. I noted through my tears that the only other selection on the screen read "OPTION."

My childhood is missing a big chunk of itself, and I relive it in my forum name.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49505 on: July 21, 2012, 08:06:20 pm »

Worse even is being me, eleven, and playing pokemon Sapphire to find that 'some of your pokemon appear to be infected with a microscopic life form.'

OH SHIT SON THEY'RE GONNA DIE BETTER RELEASE THEM.

Many facepalms later...
I learnt that Pokerus is actually beneficial...

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49506 on: July 21, 2012, 08:16:17 pm »

I blame you lot for the idea

went looking for my ancient gameboy, ancient cause irs a damm original and now it looks like it dont give a damm about me. cause it aint working. really bums when you think I just dig it out and have a go and you get dead screen.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49507 on: July 21, 2012, 08:16:36 pm »

Heh. First thing I did when I learned of the pokerus was whip out a cheating method and infect all my pokemon :P

Sometime later, I learned of those... EV things. That was harder to hack to species maximum. "Harder" did not equate "impossible" thanks to various enterprising souls online.

I like pokemon as a game qua game... after I cut out stupid shit* like that. It's kinda' alright for a first playthrough, when you don't know it's there and it's really not making much of a difference... but post-champion, or second, etc., playthrough? No.

*In my opinion, of course. It's not design that appeals to me, though I can understand why it appeals to others.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49508 on: July 21, 2012, 08:21:39 pm »

You had a bad day because your copy of pokemon fell into a river.

An unknown stranger at some indeterminate time in the future is going to have a great day when he finds that very cartridge washed up on the riverbank and pops it in and plays.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49509 on: July 21, 2012, 08:23:39 pm »

Assuming it still works, anyway.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49510 on: July 21, 2012, 08:45:31 pm »

An original Game Boy cart probably would. Dunno about these fancy new carts.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #49511 on: July 21, 2012, 10:08:20 pm »

They're just SD cards. Assuming it doesn't get broken on a rock or something and the recipient lets it dry, it should be fine.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #49512 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »

What about sediment and the like getting in it? Or organic matter growing inside it? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm actually curious as to how bad ass these things are.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49513 on: July 21, 2012, 10:26:35 pm »

Flash carts are quite durable unless you outright break them open. Water damage is usually fixed by letting them dry out. You'd have to rust the connectors or something.

So yeah, it's probably got an even better chance than an old Game Boy cart, indestructible as that generation's hardware was.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #49514 on: July 22, 2012, 02:06:48 am »

I;m not doing so hot. I more or less got called a lazy good for nothing. It felt pretty bad considering who it was coming from but it didn't affect me too much, of course it reminded me or all my other various fuck ups. I just want to crawl under a rock and die.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 ... 3299 3300 [3301] 3302 3303 ... 8167