Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3279 3280 [3281] 3282 3283 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450114 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49200 on: July 12, 2012, 10:22:04 pm »

I don't think the SNES Mario Kart will ever get old.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49201 on: July 12, 2012, 10:31:31 pm »

And there's always the chance that someone will have remade them by then. It happens.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49202 on: July 12, 2012, 10:32:22 pm »

And besides, at that point DF will be reaching critical mass and you can get them addicted early started playing.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #49203 on: July 12, 2012, 10:55:03 pm »

I don't expect my kids to do stuff just because I'm nostalgic about it. That just seems a bit greedy to me.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #49204 on: July 12, 2012, 10:57:00 pm »

I will set my kids on the exact course of gaming that I went through when I was their age.

My kids will go to school talking about how awesome Minecraft is - In College.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49205 on: July 12, 2012, 11:05:21 pm »

Sorry, but I'm pretty positive there will be games unarguably better than Minecraft by that time, unless you have kids almost in college.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49206 on: July 12, 2012, 11:07:45 pm »

Most certainly.

Or Minecraft will have the modding api and villagers who know what the point of multiple houses are.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49207 on: July 12, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »

DF world gen + Minecraft gameplay. If Minecraft doesn't support an inventory system like DF's Adventure Mode, then add some stuff like that in too. And maybe work in a DF-like combat system, while keeping it 1st person. Best adventure game ever?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49208 on: July 12, 2012, 11:25:25 pm »

I don't think the SNES Mario Kart will ever get old.

Still the best one, in my opinion.  They tried too hard in subsequent games to add in balance features that ensured no one ever fell too far behind, but they removed a lot of fun tricks in the process and replaced them with easily abusable rubber-banding.  I still remember a few epic gaming moments I had with the original game, over 15 years later.  Stuff like power sliding at just the right angle to fire a red turtle shell around the corner, hitting my dad when he's sitting right on top of the finish line, and stealing the win... or hopping over someone else's turtle shell (super difficult) that would have hit me just before I crossed the finish line.

As for the graphics thing:  I really wish more classic games would get faithful remakes.  No gameplay changes, unless it's new content that doesn't interfere with the old.  Just update the technology.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49209 on: July 12, 2012, 11:55:14 pm »

@Lemon10: The simple solution is to simply ensure the only games you purchase for them are the ones you played as a kid. :P
They'll never know what they're missing! Well, as long as you keep them hidden away from any nasty modern advertising. Actually on second thoughts, you know what? Just keep them locked away from the public and mold them into a mini-you.

I don't expect my kids to do stuff just because I'm nostalgic about it. That just seems a bit greedy to me.
  I have no idea what you are talking about.  ::) Isn't childhood nostalgia the entire point of having children in the first place?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #49210 on: July 13, 2012, 12:24:58 am »

Sorry, but I'm pretty positive there will be games unarguably better than Minecraft by that time, unless you have kids almost in college.

There will, but because my kids will be playing games on my timeline (IE, I started playing Minecraft in college), they won't know that.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49211 on: July 13, 2012, 12:30:43 am »

In the future, sheltering is going to be even harder.
Trust me, in 20 years (you don't have children yet, do you?) there will be VR Minecraft+ games.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49212 on: July 13, 2012, 01:25:46 am »

Oh god, oh god please just shut my brain off. I want to wake up at 6:00 in the morning like I did today.

Oh well. Back to bed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:28:39 am by JoshuaFH »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49213 on: July 13, 2012, 01:44:10 am »

I don't really touch these emotion threads, but it's 2:40 in the morning and I'm bored.

But now I really feel terrible, that people go through the utter bullshit that you've gone through, Joshua.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49214 on: July 13, 2012, 01:44:50 am »

Joshua: You're very different than you were back then. How you are now matters much more. Even if she remembers you as that, encountering you now as a different person has voided all of those memories. Just keep working, man. You've made so much progress already. Just look at your exercise. You did in three weeks what I've barely done in three months. You may not believe in yourself, but I do actually believe in you. You have dedication, whether you think so or not, and that's what gets you places. The past isn't nearly as important as the present as long as you keep working forward.
Pages: 1 ... 3279 3280 [3281] 3282 3283 ... 8167