Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3273 3274 [3275] 3276 3277 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452884 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49110 on: July 10, 2012, 09:22:24 pm »

Come now. Plenty of fish in the sea and all that. Though I'll admit building strong friendships takes time.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49111 on: July 10, 2012, 09:27:24 pm »

I dunno.

Maybe it's something to do with how I've been feeling over emotional lately, and I got in contact with an old friend and I'm remembering that no matter how much of a nice, caring, person she actually is, she drives me crazy, and I don't think the issue is with her, it's with me... Or maybe we're just incompatible or something, I don't know. Ugh.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49112 on: July 10, 2012, 09:32:44 pm »

Easy test to see if it's you or not:

Are you avoiding friend(s) due to wanting to avoid responsibility/obligation to them? If the answer is no, then it's not you (and is, at worst, "incompatibility").
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49113 on: July 10, 2012, 09:41:07 pm »

The trouble is that I think this is a pattern that's going to repeat itself, I'm worried this is going to wind up with me being a reclusive hermit that lives in a tiny hut on a hill or something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49114 on: July 10, 2012, 09:45:25 pm »

not sure if it belongs here or WTF thread
but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kar%C5%8Dshi
Karōshi basically japanese word for literally working your self to death.

was watching prog on japan and work destroying young people lifes and this came up. way I see it is you are working 16hr days 5 days a week, why are you doing work someone else could have. Why the employment problem if cutting hours means twice as many people working and off the unemployment list as well as then having a life.
Relevant.
More relevant.

I'll never forget Karoshi. I had to put in my karaoke's greatest hits cd into my CD drive to pass one level, and then I had Jenny on the Block playing for the rest of the game.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #49115 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47:16 pm »

I'm going to go ahead and cut through all the whiny bullshit most people go through in this situation, because lord knows i've done it enough on my own, and say this.

One of my closest friends is hospitalized. She has multiple brain injuries, and a fracture in the neck and sternum.

Please pray for her. Or if you're atheist, science for her, I guess.

I just really hopes she gets better.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49116 on: July 10, 2012, 09:49:11 pm »

!!!
D:

All my sympathies, man. That sucks.

PS: Let loose the whiny bullshit if you feel so inclined. Not a good idea to bottle such stuff up.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49117 on: July 10, 2012, 10:18:00 pm »

This is certainly the place for it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49118 on: July 10, 2012, 10:31:02 pm »

I'm worried this is going to wind up with me being a reclusive hermit that lives in a tiny hut on a hill or something.
If you find a hill with internet access, let me know; I'll build a hut near you, so we can both have an annoying neighbor and -
Actually, that was a lot better as an image in my head than in words. Sorry.

Let loose the whiny bullshit if you feel so inclined. Not a good idea to bottle such stuff up.
This is certainly the place for it.
Yep. Put all the whiny bullshit or whatever else you want here. If it helps to let it out, this is the place to do it. Unless it's rage, which there's another thread for.
Even better, people might be able to help you if you share it here.
Of course, if you whine too much, people will start to find you pathetic and annoying, like me. But that takes a lot of whining.

EDIT: Aw shit, got a 45.
Browsing around on Wikipedia starting at "Paranoia" got me to that from here.
Also, found this little gem, which seems closer to my problems than standard social anxiety/phobia.
Interesting.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:55:15 pm by Lectorog »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49119 on: July 10, 2012, 11:34:44 pm »

Hey, neat, got a seventeen. You can safely ignore that test, because socially well adjusted Frumple is not. Though that's at least partially motivated by the sort of folks that make up most of my area's population and a fairly major aversion to being around alcohol.

No joke, and it's been a bit of a stumbling block with trying to get into my major, but being around people who are drunk or while they're becoming drunk is incredibly unsettling to me. Y'have no goddamn idea, makes my entire neural schema start to flip out. Even tipsy is something I have trouble wanting to stay anywhere near. Same for any behavior effecting drug, as well as cognitive degeneration due to disease or age. It's like... just a little buzzed? "No," goes Frumple's mind, "Person, you have just fucking poisoned yourself and now I'm watching you lose cognitive capability and control, flat out the most fundamental aspect of what makes you, you. This is existential horror writ libation, and now, self, I am going to gibber and suggest you claw at the walls and escape."

Little tired, and now typing sideswipe has made me mildly melancholy. Anyway, standard warnings against self-diagnosis. It's fun, but don't put too much stock in it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49120 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:09 pm »

I'm not trusting it to any significant degree. Just interesting, like I said.
Part of my endless quest to figure out what the hell is wrong with me.

I have similar issues with drugs in general. And being in a conversation about or involving drug use is extremely stressful to me. Don't know why.
If my friend started smoking marijuana, like he's considering, I would probably abandon him. My only friend. Should probably let him know.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49121 on: July 10, 2012, 11:47:47 pm »

34 :D

And:
@Frumple: Not everyone loses cognitive control. I typically remain frustratingly in control of myself until blackout. Most people drink and lose inhibitions. I drink and increase my inhibitions. But I see your point. At a certain point of drinking, if you close your eyes and try to describe to yourself how you feel, a single word should come to mind.
Hell.

I'm not trusting it to any significant degree. Just interesting, like I said.
Part of my endless quest to figure out what the hell is wrong with me.

I have similar issues with drugs in general. And being in a conversation about or involving drug use is extremely stressful to me. Don't know why.
If my friend started smoking marijuana, like he's considering, I would probably abandon him. My only friend. Should probably let him know.

And uh, that's a bit extreme. But that's your business. Lots of people have different opinions, its why humanity is so neat.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49122 on: July 10, 2012, 11:56:27 pm »

And uh, that's a bit extreme. But that's your business. Lots of people have different opinions, its why humanity is so neat.
Yes, it certainly is. In fact, many of your posts cause me stress, as well as others'. Like I said, I don't know why I have that problem. I can come up with possible reasons, but nothing quite explains it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49123 on: July 11, 2012, 12:07:26 am »

I apologize for causing you stress.  :( It certainly is not my intention.
He's fucking with us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49124 on: July 11, 2012, 12:09:33 am »

not sure if it belongs here or WTF thread
but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kar%C5%8Dshi
Karōshi basically japanese word for literally working your self to death.

was watching prog on japan and work destroying young people lifes and this came up. way I see it is you are working 16hr days 5 days a week, why are you doing work someone else could have. Why the employment problem if cutting hours means twice as many people working and off the unemployment list as well as then having a life.

The cool thing about this is that at least the Japanese are recognizing it.  Recognition is so high that the problem has its very own word.

People work themselves to death everywhere.  I never met my grandfather, because he karoshi'd in his mid-thirties.

As for how this relates to unemployment... there are many reasons for this, if you look at it from the perspectives of people at the top of corporate ladders -- executives, shareholders, etc -- the "1%".  It's easier and more cost-effective for them to crush a small workforce to death than to manage a larger, happier workforce.  Larger workforces demand more rights.  High unemployment frightens employees into doing whatever is asked of them.  There's lots of desperate people ready to take their place otherwise.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 3273 3274 [3275] 3276 3277 ... 8167