Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3270 3271 [3272] 3273 3274 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453638 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49065 on: July 09, 2012, 12:15:56 am »

Holy crap, Iceball. Good luck to you!

Ditto.

In other news I've been working on a professional website, and have friends helping me sorta. I finally got done something close to a rough mockup. It's actually fairly well done considering that I don't do website design, at all. I've done lots of amateur digital graphics with simple MS paint, but quite frankly that's easy because I'm modeling physical objects and I know what those are supposed to look like. This...? Not so much. I think my friends are going to give me some pointers, throw it into wordpress for me, and polish it up. I'm hoping they can throw some photoshop in there to do said polishing. One of them also knows something about search engine optimization so hopefully that'll show up in there a tad too.

I have to say I don't like this, and I'm honestly not sure if or how people find a lawyer online. I've always done it through word of mouth and you can imagine the (very) old guy I worked for had pretty much 0 technology. Honestly I get it, can make it happen, etc, but merely that this is a significant part of my business and I hate not having technical knowledge of it. They literally didn't teach any of this when I was in school, though I'm honestly not THAT old, either (just a crappy school).
See if one of your contacts knows how to use HTML. That will be an immense boon. I, unfortunately, only know the very basics, and certainly not enough to design a website of any use.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49066 on: July 09, 2012, 12:18:45 am »

Yeah. I'm tired. Really goddamn tired. Busy day tomorrow. Still can't go to sleep, people want to talk. :/
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49067 on: July 09, 2012, 01:21:22 am »

Sitting here, listening to sad music, clutching my chair, crying a little bit. I feel distinctly emo, this is so stupid, I don't know what I'm doing.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49068 on: July 09, 2012, 01:34:32 am »

Maybe you want to be sad. Do you feel like you should be for some reason?

Alternatively, if you're just having an emotional response to a sad ballad or something... I hate to break it to you, but that's a healthy, well-adjusted human response.

In either case, I'd stop beating yourself up about it, and just be.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49069 on: July 09, 2012, 01:51:49 am »

There's definitely a reason I'm sad, there's several in fact, it's just that they're kind of a stupid reasons, and there's not much point in it dwelling on this stuff feeling sad...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49070 on: July 09, 2012, 04:41:18 am »

Well, sometimes crying about things is a much better way of moving on than just repressing it, in that it's the natural way of dealing with sadness and, you know, at least actually does something ;)
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #49071 on: July 09, 2012, 09:31:02 am »

Holy crap, Iceball. Good luck to you!

Ditto.

In other news I've been working on a professional website, and have friends helping me sorta. I finally got done something close to a rough mockup. It's actually fairly well done considering that I don't do website design, at all. I've done lots of amateur digital graphics with simple MS paint, but quite frankly that's easy because I'm modeling physical objects and I know what those are supposed to look like. This...? Not so much. I think my friends are going to give me some pointers, throw it into wordpress for me, and polish it up. I'm hoping they can throw some photoshop in there to do said polishing. One of them also knows something about search engine optimization so hopefully that'll show up in there a tad too.

I have to say I don't like this, and I'm honestly not sure if or how people find a lawyer online. I've always done it through word of mouth and you can imagine the (very) old guy I worked for had pretty much 0 technology. Honestly I get it, can make it happen, etc, but merely that this is a significant part of my business and I hate not having technical knowledge of it. They literally didn't teach any of this when I was in school, though I'm honestly not THAT old, either (just a crappy school).

I am having horrible flashbacks. Previous employer, the sales department sat on a web design contract for a lawyer for a year. Threat of lawsuit. Me and Golden got tossed at unknown technology (DotNetNuke) and are asked to do a relatively complex website, almost none of the requested features can be done with off the shelf components (at least ones that are cheap enough to buy and try) and we HAVE to use DotNetNuke. We poop out a beautiful site with a half dozen completely custom controls, doing almost exactly what was originally asked for in under 3 weeks. Client cries because he thinks we just threw together some off the shelf shit and pawned it off on him (even though the amount he paid was for off the shelf shit to be thrown together). The client got screwed (but only because the sales staff waited a year before pushing it into development), we got screwed (did too much work, and didn't even break even on the cost), no one was happy.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49072 on: July 09, 2012, 11:11:41 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:32:15 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #49073 on: July 09, 2012, 11:18:52 am »

Sounds like you are off to a good start, simple static web pages like that are nothing to put together. The biggest expense/time sink would be for a graphic artist/designer, and it sounds like you already have that mostly covered.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49074 on: July 09, 2012, 11:28:56 am »

I'm off to get my cheque! Fucking payroll system, WHY MAKE ME GO HALFWAY ACROSS TOWN?! FIX IT, MAGGOTS.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49075 on: July 09, 2012, 11:30:49 am »

No direct deposit? Or even mailing you the check? That's silly.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49076 on: July 09, 2012, 12:53:41 pm »

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!
Eventually, anyway. I'll happen.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49077 on: July 09, 2012, 01:07:27 pm »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:30:56 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49078 on: July 09, 2012, 01:54:02 pm »

The no-more-booze doom?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49079 on: July 09, 2012, 02:12:04 pm »

Contrary to popular belief many people freaking hate complicated websites, especially older people and the snazzy new gizmos are just confusion for them. [shrugs].
Designers do seem to be recognising this more these days. Who'd of thought accessibility was a good idea?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 3270 3271 [3272] 3273 3274 ... 8167