Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3256 3257 [3258] 3259 3260 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465729 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48855 on: July 03, 2012, 01:36:09 am »

Where do you live that you have to apply to get into high school? The only country I know of that does that is Japan.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48856 on: July 03, 2012, 01:36:42 am »

Where do you live that you have to apply to get into high school? The only country I know of that does that is Japan.
I'm betting private school.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48857 on: July 03, 2012, 02:10:13 am »

AFAIK, Skyrunner is applying to a Korean High School, which has standards much like Japan (i.e. way over the US' standards.)

Sad: I had to resort to "Tactical Banking" today. I know exactly how long my grace period is on overdrafts, I know exactly when I'll get my next paycheck, and how much it'll be. Therefore, I knew exactly how much I could overdraft my account without being penalized, and not get stranded in BFE because I was damn near out of gas in the carmobile.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:15:27 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48858 on: July 03, 2012, 02:25:35 am »

"Tactical Banking" = Construct additional paychecks, We require more Vespine Gas, etc?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #48859 on: July 03, 2012, 02:32:55 am »

Ehh, I thought that was strategic banking :P

Which reminds me I've got a stock about to sell... 38% profit is good, I suppose >.> But I only invested a hundred dollars, so blergh.

Pfft, Japan high schools got nothin' over Korean ones! >:-D

why the heck does Korea insist on doing everything bad the best it can? The best conservatism (ie hard-core conservatism), best nature destruction, best in having the worst possible job economy it can, best in having the most overheated market for diplomas ....

Le sigh.

Another sadness: I'm not asleep at 3:41 AM and I've got work to do at 10 tomorrow!
I must remedy that right now.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48860 on: July 03, 2012, 03:13:06 am »

So I went to the doctor today, mentioned some things offhand, and he gave me a sheet to fill out. He looked it over and said I might have depression.

Maybe I'm stuck with the hollywood version of depression where everything's bleak and hopeless, but I certainly don't think I'm depressed. Irregular sleep schedule, zero appetite and mood swings, sure. I might be wrong :X
Following up on this.

As people here might know, I've got ADHD. Means I can't focus on what I want to focus on, and when I try to force my attention on something it can get physically painful to do so. Well, that's what I actually visited the doctor yesterday about, and now my medication is tripled. I'm actually a bit terrified of ending up like this. I'm also terrified of that fear keeping me from getting help if I need it.

So I dunno. I just dunno. I'm not getting any younger (23 years old) and I live in a family that heavily values self-sufficiency. My brother and sister-in-law are talking to my parents behind my back, trying to get me out of the house "for my own good." I'd probably die if I tried to live on my own, heh. My mother thinks additional pressure will make me straighten up and fly right, when instead it makes me curl up into a ball of anxiety (possible anxiety disorder, didn't quite get to that when talking to the doctor but I don't think it's at normal levels). My father understands but he's at a loss of what to do. Medical help is expensive and I'm already a huge drain on family finances. Even if I do get a therapist, it'll probably have a religious slant (which I'm no longer in to) due to that being another thing my family heavily values but I do not.

I'm stuck between wanting to help my family out, and not really being able to help myself.

The more I open up, the more pathetic I see myself, and at the same time I realize not opening up means I'll never fix anything. I'm sick of wearing metaphorical masks to hide my mood, feelings, and issues, but I fear taking them off will expose me as some sort of grotesque. Ex: Here's a list of things I can't tell my family: I'm agnostic, I'm bi, I've a rather active sex drive, and I'm a radical liberal hippie. Any one of those would start an argument if I told them, and some (religion, sexuality) could get me disowned by several family members.

Maybe I am depressed and just in denial about it. And don't tell me it's other people's faults; yes, my family could stand to educate themselves a bit and not be so bigoted, but it's not out of my power to get away and be self sufficient... the question is if I have the ability to. I don't think I do, and that is my fault.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48861 on: July 03, 2012, 03:16:38 am »

No mate it aint your fault. You aren't responsible for your mental problems, trust me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48862 on: July 03, 2012, 03:21:32 am »

What I mean by that is not so much "blame" as "cause." I'm not blaming myself, but I realize the true source of the problem is internal.

Take a hypothetical person who got crippled in an accident. It's not their fault they're crippled, but the problem lies with their body. Same deal for me, only my problems are mental. I don't blame myself for being this way, but rather I'm not playing the blame game with other people saying they caused it when they didn't.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48863 on: July 03, 2012, 03:26:33 am »

why the heck does Korea insist on doing everything bad the best it can? The best conservatism (ie hard-core conservatism), best nature destruction, best in having the worst possible job economy it can, best in having the most overheated market for diplomas ....
Craziest neighbors (except for possibly Canada.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48864 on: July 03, 2012, 07:36:04 am »

I had to apply to get into highschool. It was a public school with a magnet program outside of my zoned district.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48865 on: July 03, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »

As people here might know, I've got ADHD. Means I can't focus on what I want to focus on, and when I try to force my attention on something it can get physically painful to do so. Well, that's what I actually visited the doctor yesterday about, and now my medication is tripled. I'm actually a bit terrified of ending up like this. I'm also terrified of that fear keeping me from getting help if I need it.

So I dunno. I just dunno. I'm not getting any younger (23 years old) and I live in a family that heavily values self-sufficiency. My brother and sister-in-law are talking to my parents behind my back, trying to get me out of the house "for my own good." I'd probably die if I tried to live on my own, heh. My mother thinks additional pressure will make me straighten up and fly right, when instead it makes me curl up into a ball of anxiety (possible anxiety disorder, didn't quite get to that when talking to the doctor but I don't think it's at normal levels). My father understands but he's at a loss of what to do. Medical help is expensive and I'm already a huge drain on family finances. Even if I do get a therapist, it'll probably have a religious slant (which I'm no longer in to) due to that being another thing my family heavily values but I do not.

I'm stuck between wanting to help my family out, and not really being able to help myself.

The more I open up, the more pathetic I see myself, and at the same time I realize not opening up means I'll never fix anything. I'm sick of wearing metaphorical masks to hide my mood, feelings, and issues, but I fear taking them off will expose me as some sort of grotesque. Ex: Here's a list of things I can't tell my family: I'm agnostic, I'm bi, I've a rather active sex drive, and I'm a radical liberal hippie. Any one of those would start an argument if I told them, and some (religion, sexuality) could get me disowned by several family members.

Maybe I am depressed and just in denial about it. And don't tell me it's other people's faults; yes, my family could stand to educate themselves a bit and not be so bigoted, but it's not out of my power to get away and be self sufficient... the question is if I have the ability to. I don't think I do, and that is my fault.

Let me share a story about a guy I know. I met him while working a retail job at a pet store, and he later became my roommate, a friend, and helped me become a far wiser man than I'd ever been. He had recently moved several states away from his folks when I met him, and dealt with some serious anxiety issues almost every day. It got almost crippling at times, but he'd had a few years of counseling, and learned the tools and methods needed to push through it without medication, though he sometimes needed a little help from his friends. He was also pre-op FTM transgendered, and though he passed well, he sometimes had to deal with people using the wrong pronoun, or even telling him he "wasn't a guy"... which hurt a lot more when it was from family members or people he trusted. Not only did he roll with these punches, but while I lived with him he'd begun chasing his dream of making a living in the freelance art business, and after a year or so at it found himself doing what he loved, and doing well for himself.

So yeah, there's a lot of untapped strength inside you... the potential for happiness and success, being who you are and doing what you want. You just need to allow yourself the chance to build the tools and skills you need to make it so. You can't control the hand of cards you're dealt, neither with your family, your personality, or your neurochemistry, but you can always control how you play them going forward. Just have faith in that potential, don't be afraid to seek help when and where you need it, and have the courage to be yourself.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #48866 on: July 03, 2012, 06:48:53 pm »

<snip>
That... actually does sound a lot like the way my mother is, although she's usually more polite and capable of tolerating other people out and about, it's just behind closed doors that she causes problems.

It's ok man. It's a classic parent line, "what will the neighbors think." Translation: only when somebody is watching. [hugs]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48867 on: July 03, 2012, 08:06:46 pm »

My favorite show I cannot watch anymore...

Dang it..

It is one of the ONLY... well... anything... that can actually make me laugh hard.

I guess the only thing I can do is take my continuously terrible mood out on this forum.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:21:25 pm by Neonivek »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48868 on: July 03, 2012, 08:31:42 pm »

So I may have mentioned a while back that an old friend that now hates me might be sitting down at a table with me so that I could maybe get some resolution and talk through some things that have been haunting me for a few years now. My therapist called her on account of me being too much of a coward to actually call her myself at the time. The therapist called her, she said she'd have to think about it, the therapist left a contact number and asked her to get back in touch. I said she was never going to get back in touch. She told me that next week she'd tell me if she got back in touch and we'd go from there.

I spend the week having sleepless nights, and stressing out about this issue, partly because I'm expecting it to end in failure, but also because sitting down with what have essentially become my three arch nemeses is in an incredibly scary prospect, no matter how much I feel like I have to do it if I want to move forward at some point.

A week later my therapist tells me she never got back in touch, but that we should give her more time to think about it, I say that I would rather get this over with and get a no out of her because the waiting is really stressing me out to an extreme. She tells me if I want to do this I'm going to have to be patient and give her as much time as she needs, and that we can try to get back in touch with her next week... except that she's not around next week so it has to be the Monday after. So I wait two very painful weeks. Then due to shenanigans yesterday, I wind up missing my appointment. So this morning I decided I'm just not going to wait around like this any longer and I'm going to at least talk to her.

I call once and she doesn't pick up, so a while later I decide to call again and leave a message this time, except that she picks up, and conversation goes like this.
Her: Who is this?
Me: It's <name>.
Her: Ah, yeah, I don't want to talk to you, bye. *hangs up*

... Three frigging weeks of torture... all building up to that.

I was basically filled with what I would best describe as murderous rage at that point, I felt so frigging angry think I seriously would have loved nothing more than to enact nuclear holocaust on the world.

I've since calmed down, I spoke with another completely different old friend who decided she'd be fine with me coming to talk with her, and that led to some nice things because she let me basically rant at her about what had happened and then a friend of hers called and asked if we she wanted to try this soup he'd cooked, which led to a picnic where the two of them basically let me rant about The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Holy Roman Empire, Charlemagne, the politics of the Catholic church, flyting, and whatever. This was nice, because it's been a while since I had the opportunity to do a good bit of ranting, and really ranted myself hoarse.

But there's one thing that's bothering me though. Am I being a pants on head retarded autistic when I say it kind of feels like I'm kinda sort of owed a chance to sit down and talk by now? I know it's unreasonable to expect people to put up with you if you're being a crappy person that's unpleasant to be around, but if the wounds have been given a chance to heal is it unreasonable to ask to sit down, talk about it, and maybe make some amends and put it behind you?

*sigh*

I don't know what to think.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #48869 on: July 03, 2012, 08:50:42 pm »

Honestly, no one is ever entitled to second (Or even first) chances. I don't really see why if it's that bad you've been wasting your time with it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 3256 3257 [3258] 3259 3260 ... 8167