Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3253 3254 [3255] 3256 3257 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466848 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48810 on: July 02, 2012, 02:47:07 am »

In the morning I am going to pick out an urn for my stillborn baby brother. I wasn't going to go, but several people have insisted that I should go so I don't regret anything when I am older. I don't know why, but I haven't really cried about it at all. I am always good in emergencies involving people with mental breakdowns and head wounds, but sometimes I worry. I am sad about it, I truly am, I just haven't been uncontrollably so. I feel like I should be breaking down and going insane, based on the number of people who have asked me if I am okay. But I really am at peace with it, despite it only happening a few days ago. I just don't know.

I'm kind of the same way.  I don't really mourn people like most seem to.  I don't get torn up about loss.  I will sort of dwell on honoring someone's memory for a while, but not in an intensely sad way.  Then again, I've never lost anyone that I was deeply attached to, and I have never been deeply attached to many people.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48811 on: July 02, 2012, 07:47:20 am »

In the morning I am going to pick out an urn for my stillborn baby brother. I wasn't going to go, but several people have insisted that I should go so I don't regret anything when I am older. I don't know why, but I haven't really cried about it at all. I am always good in emergencies involving people with mental breakdowns and head wounds, but sometimes I worry. I am sad about it, I truly am, I just haven't been uncontrollably so. I feel like I should be breaking down and going insane, based on the number of people who have asked me if I am okay. But I really am at peace with it, despite it only happening a few days ago. I just don't know.

I've probably lost a family member every 2 or three years since I was 10 and it didn't take long for me to stop crying about them. Like it or not, the death of people you know is something that everyone has to get used to, so it's probably healthier in the long run that you've learned to cope a bit.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48812 on: July 02, 2012, 07:57:30 am »

Well, there's also the fact that as a stillborn, you really never had any time to know or bond with him. Infant deaths are awkwards that way. Several of our friends have had miscarriages/stillbirths/infant mortality within 1st year, and I tend to catch some flak for not being particularly grieving about it. My view tends to be that these children simply were not fated for life. It would be different if it they had died through accident or some unexpected illness after they had been healthy. But these were children who were fated from the moment of conception to a short life. It's sad, but it's not the kind of thing to dwell on, IMHO.

But YMMV...I may in fact be an unempathetic bastard.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48813 on: July 02, 2012, 08:39:35 am »

I know what you mean.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48814 on: July 02, 2012, 10:14:09 am »

I have that problem too - people expect all sorts of... emotions out of my when relatives die. Even close ones. But even then, I may grieve queitly to myself, for a while, if I was close... but I don't understand these American funerals. Wakes. Mementos.

I don't understand why I would want to dwell on it, and what purpose it would serve to focus on the fact that they are no longer there. Is that not the exact opposite of the kind of memories I would want, if ?

They are gone. Things go. That's how life is. Especially in situations like this, when they were never really there to begin with, I don't understand why people think I should be acting the way they expect.

Like, maybe if I was the mother, I could understand the issue there, but... ugh, I dunno.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48815 on: July 02, 2012, 10:16:51 am »

I have that problem too - people expect all sorts of... emotions out of my when relatives die. Even close ones. But even then, I may grieve queitly to myself, for a while, if I was close... but I don't understand these American funerals. Wakes. Mementos.
You know L' Étranger? That guy's me.

You seem to be this guy. EXACTLY like him.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48816 on: July 02, 2012, 01:43:22 pm »

I don't understand why I would want to dwell on it, and what purpose it would serve to focus on the fact that they are no longer there. Is that not the exact opposite of the kind of memories I would want, if ?

I know what you mean.  I've always felt like people at funerals and grieving in general tend to be mostly focused on themselves, as if it's more about their "loss" than the person who actually died.  This has always seemed backwards to me.  I've never met anyone who was like "When I die, I want everyone to be fucking depressed and cry a lot."  I think the proper response to a person's death should be to celebrate their life.

I know that can't really apply to a stillborn situation, though... more a comment on the general discussion about grieving processes.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:58:46 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48817 on: July 02, 2012, 01:51:48 pm »

I dunno about you, but the few funerals I went to, nobody fucked at all.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48818 on: July 02, 2012, 01:59:15 pm »

How the fuck did I manage that..... fixed.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48819 on: July 02, 2012, 02:01:57 pm »

I've only had one close relative die. When my Nan died I felt guilty that I wasn't sadder but hearing what people had to say about her life at the funeral and going back to the house I spent lots of summers in really phased me. Still it hurt less than I expected and we all knew it was coming and doubly so near the end. Not sure how I'd respond if it was more sudden.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48820 on: July 02, 2012, 02:03:05 pm »

And this is what is wrong with the world.
Plus, you've given me some great ideas for my will.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #48821 on: July 02, 2012, 02:06:08 pm »

Don't forget to leave a little money to pay for the strippers at your wake.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48822 on: July 02, 2012, 02:23:56 pm »

Don't forget to leave a little money to pay for the strippers at your wake.
I'll be like Oprah from beyond the grave.
"You get a hooker! YOU get a hooker! *YOU* get a hooker! EVERYBODY GETS A HOOKER!"

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48823 on: July 02, 2012, 02:43:11 pm »

I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48824 on: July 02, 2012, 02:53:26 pm »

Well....

It'd make a great funeral at least.
Pages: 1 ... 3253 3254 [3255] 3256 3257 ... 8167