Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3251 3252 [3253] 3254 3255 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466839 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48780 on: July 01, 2012, 08:14:38 pm »

We still build sand castles, despite knowing that the sea will wash them away. Such is life.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48781 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:11 pm »

I never did like that idea.

Besides the fact that I love medicine as a thought, love helping people, and want to be a research scientist... That's why I'm going into the fields I'm going into, hopefully. To increase meaningful human longevity.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48782 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:58 pm »

There's beauty in fragility.  Moments in time are special because they're temporary.

Still need a few hundred years do everything I want.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #48783 on: July 01, 2012, 09:12:38 pm »

"O what fools were we to think immortality meant never dying...."
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #48784 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:41 pm »

Honestly, I don't wanna even live THAT long. Just long enough. When I've seen everything I wanna see and done everything I wanna do I'm done.

And really I'm just waiting on a little bit more. Ill probably be done in another 8-10 years.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:17:44 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48785 on: July 01, 2012, 09:18:39 pm »

'Course, there's always the possibility of finding something you won't get bored of. Or a cycle of things that will entertain you forever (or keep you sane long enough to experience all the new things as they arise). So immortality wouldn't be all that bad.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48786 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20:53 pm »

Man, gimme some of that immortality. I don't feel like dieing any time soon*.

*soon = next hundred years at least
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48787 on: July 01, 2012, 09:37:31 pm »

Cracked has an article on immortality that makes some excellent points. For one, you would start percieving time to be faster and faster. Eventually, people growing old and dying would be an eyeblink to you. You would watch the continents shift and the sun burn out. It would be... Unpleasant.
For two, immortality is NOT invinciblity. If you were susceptible to harm, immortality would become the most horrific torture ever devised.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48788 on: July 01, 2012, 09:39:19 pm »

Well the world is pretty damn huge, and I'd like to see a good portion of it.  There's also billions of people in the world, and most of them are interesting in some way.  Some are interesting enough to be worth spending great amounts of time with.  Not to mention that the world is constantly cycling through its inventory of living people, so just getting to know interesting people would be enough to make life worth living for me for a very, very long time, if not forever.  Then there's all those thousands of fascinating historical figures and the overall story of history that many people dedicate entire lives towards learning only small portions of.  Then there's thousands upon thousands of various works of art (books, films, games, etc) I want to get around to, and there are plenty of games that can be entertaining for many hundreds of hours. 

Then there's the stuff that I actually want to create or influences that I want to have on all the lives around me.  So many thousands of hours of fulfilling work to be done.

I definitely need a few hundred years.  Maybe less if civilization ever manages to move beyond basing itself on various forms of slavery.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48789 on: July 01, 2012, 09:46:28 pm »

Hell, I just want to see and possibly visit/live on the human race's first off-world/extra-solar colony.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48790 on: July 01, 2012, 09:52:32 pm »

Hell, I just want to see and possibly visit/live on the human race's first off-world/extra-solar colony.

Fuck!  I had intended to include something about the potential for space travel.  So yeah... Add on a few hundred more years.  The universe is large.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48791 on: July 01, 2012, 09:55:00 pm »

Just find a way to accelerate to near light speed without killing yourself from the acceleration or taking thousands of years (your time) and you can visit pretty much any age in the future you want. Shouldn't be too hard. :)
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48792 on: July 01, 2012, 10:00:09 pm »

I should add that I have never been bored in my entire life when left to my own devices, even when my family was dirt poor, I had no friends, and we lived in the middle of a flat nowhere. Boredom only happens when I'm trapped under someone else's control, which is unfortunately most of the time.  When people tell me they're bored, I tell them they're wasting opportunity. 

I had a friend at one point who was completely taken care of by her boyfriend and had absolutely no obligations of any kind holding her down... and she bitched on Facebook about how bored she was and how she wanted a job just for something to do.  I sort of chewed her out about how she basically had the opportunity to do anything she wanted, and there were millions of possibilities for her at that time.  She died in a car accident a couple months ago.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:03:57 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #48793 on: July 01, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »

So in other news, I accidentally nuked Iraq today. Then I on purpose nuked the USSR, Red China, and the U.K.

Why the U.K? Because I wanted to see what would happen. And I did. France issued a statement of condemnation towards them, cut off all trade, and invaded the irradiated slag heap that was the remnants of the British Empire.

France is such an asshole.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48794 on: July 01, 2012, 10:06:50 pm »

Why does this make you sad?
Pages: 1 ... 3251 3252 [3253] 3254 3255 ... 8167