Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3248 3249 [3250] 3251 3252 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9470543 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48735 on: June 30, 2012, 04:00:52 am »

Very well.

My sad today was twofold: I went to comiccon wearing a Dwarf Fortress mask I made myself, and no-one recognised it. "Some generic pixel character?"

And that the queue to get in was two and a half hours and by the time we got in it wasn't that great anyway...

Where?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48736 on: June 30, 2012, 04:12:06 am »

@sirus's stupid comic

If you judge your own life based on how you relate to others, as if it were some competition to be "won" or "lost," then you're very very likely dooming yourself to "failure." Only so many people can end up on top after all, and the odds are very much stacked against you. If only those on top have had "successful" lives, then we're dooming absolutely everyone else to a failed life, regardless of how hard they worked, how smart they are, what they did, who they are, etc etc.

So I reject the notion that being stuck in a dead-end job is "failure," at least intrinsically. It's only a failure if your life goal is a high paying job (and might I add that that isn't the most fulfilling way to spend one's life). Also, $35,000 a year puts one way WAY above the global average (~10,000 median, ~3000 mean iirc), so if we're still stuck in comparison mode you can comfort yourself that you're "better" than much of the world's population.

So allow me to say: suck it up and realize there's more to life than career success or notoriety. Way more. You don't have to end up in the history books. You don't have to "make your mark" on the world. Your life's success or failure depends on whether you accomplished the goals you set out to do, not what other people expect of you. What others define as "worthy" life goals are not applicable to you, at all, unless you let them be.

What I know of Salmongod's life brings me to the conclusion that he's spent it quite wisely and respectably, for example, despite not having monetary success and being stuck in a crappy job.

I think the comic does a good job of describing how easy it is to get distracted and allow yourself to fall into a daily routine of trivialities that will doom you to a life of unfulfillment, when you know you could have done more.  It's not necessarily about getting a good job or something, but about wasting your own talents.  It's so easy to let day by day pass, thinking that you still have plenty of future ahead of you to pursue your goals.  Then you look back...

But going all out serious business all day every day on long-term goals is also a good way to just kill yourself.  Balance is the obvious ideal, but what kind of balance do you strike when a minimum of 10-12 hours of every day are locked into keeping up with a full time job and whatever other obligations?  It doesn't leave much...

The first verse of my favorite song says it best:

With one foot still in the past
And the other far ahead
In between the times go fast
Chase your life while living it

The moral here is just don't waste opportunity.  Anytime you find that life is easy or you just have lots of time - for the love of god use it to advance yourself while you can.

You're absolutely right on the monetary success thing being very relative, though.  It really shocked me to learn last year that I make more than the median income in the U.S..  I only know a single person who has really "made it" into a successful life.  Everyone else I know has either settled into work that's roughly equal to or worse than mine (though most of them aren't supporting families so the income is easily sufficient for them), or is begging me to alert them when my office has positions open.  I even have friends who have had to financially support their parents for long stretches after they were laid off.  So as much as I hate my job and it's slowly killing me... I'm still doing relatively well.  Depressing but true.

My sad today was twofold: I went to comiccon wearing a Dwarf Fortress mask I made myself, and no-one recognised it. "Some generic pixel character?"

Wear it to Gencon, and I will give props in person :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:20:32 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48737 on: June 30, 2012, 05:21:06 am »

@Gamerlord, it was Oz ComicCon at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.

Featuring Stan Lee and Patrick Stewart, among others.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #48738 on: June 30, 2012, 07:32:27 am »

@Gamerlord, it was Oz ComicCon at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.

Featuring Stan Lee and Patrick Stewart, among others.

I'm heading in tomorrow with friends, if you're giving it another chance.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48739 on: June 30, 2012, 07:51:16 am »

Gah... the writer of this novel... he obviously fancies himself a realistic writer, and so he pulled out this post-world-pandemic apoc novel. Without zombies, that's his contribution to realism. Its too bad he doesnt realize how many stupid things he adds. Like how, his "superplague" that kills 95% of people would still leave hundreds of thousands of people alive in a major city. And that is one of the least stupid things. The main character was a boring clerk at a boring office before the fall,  and his girlfriend is a hot 25y/o clerk from another office. I suspect it's some kind of wish-fulfillmeng trip from the author
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48740 on: June 30, 2012, 09:31:33 am »

Which book?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48741 on: June 30, 2012, 02:20:41 pm »

Le Journal is over, the dude just uploaded the final image of the series. He was one of my first watches on DArt and is a great inspiration, simply one of the best city life photographers I've seen, hopefully this doesn't mean he's taking a break from art but just that this series is done.

In case anyone is wondering what I'm babbling about : http://bwiti.deviantart.com/
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48742 on: June 30, 2012, 02:38:44 pm »

The light from the window suddenly changed to a pissy yellow colour and I suddenly realised how frustrated and restless I'm feeling. There are things I could be doing but I'm sick of doing them. Might just tidy up, the place is a mess, as that usually lifts my mood.

In case anyone is wondering what I'm babbling about : http://bwiti.deviantart.com/
Especially loving the more industrial ones.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48743 on: June 30, 2012, 04:04:41 pm »

Just got over a horrible stomach flu that gave my body the idea of purging everything in my digestional track.  It went out both ways... for 8 hours T.T

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48744 on: June 30, 2012, 04:15:16 pm »

Just got over a horrible stomach flu that gave my body the idea of purging everything in my digestional track.  It went out both ways... for 8 hours T.T
Grape Juice will wash that awful taste out of your mouth. Probably the other end, too, but I have no intention of checking.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #48745 on: June 30, 2012, 04:23:36 pm »

Thanks guys, it's just. Meh.

I ran an estate sale for a friend's family today. I put a sticker on a patent leather golf bag that said, "make an offer."

Some old stupid guy came up and said, "how about a dollar for that?"
My response was, "There's no way that's going for under $40."
He said, "but the sticker said make an offer."
My reply was "Yes, you made an offer, thank you. It's rejected. Make a higher offer and might I suggest a reasonable one."

I just can't comprehend how he wanted a full patent leather golf bag for a freaking dollar.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:22:15 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48746 on: June 30, 2012, 05:33:42 pm »

They sell Tannerite at the fireworks store. TANNERITE. Unfortunately, I have no money.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48747 on: June 30, 2012, 08:40:11 pm »

Americans get courses in Practical uses for High Explosives and Paintball Guns and milsim

We get accused of being terrorists for even thinking about explosives, need a rifle licence and get suspected of paramilitary training.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48748 on: June 30, 2012, 08:45:39 pm »

Americans get courses in Practical uses for High Explosives and Paintball Guns and milsim

We get accused of being terrorists for even thinking about explosives, need a rifle licence and get suspected of paramilitary training.
Where are you from?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48749 on: June 30, 2012, 08:47:15 pm »

Where are you from?
Northern Ireland perhaps?

Just came out of a conversation that made me wish we had more liberal gun laws in the UK. I just want to learn to shoot targets like my grandparents did.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 3248 3249 [3250] 3251 3252 ... 8167