Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3220 3221 [3222] 3223 3224 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429391 times)

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48315 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:52 pm »

I am a terrible, terrible cook.  Another bad meal made; I think I'll just eat Spam next time.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48316 on: June 21, 2012, 12:10:47 pm »

Track down a copy of "The Joy of Cooking". It's the only cookbook you ever need... half science, and half tastiness.

It's where I learned most of my Cook-Fu. Learn a few basics for different food groups, like meats, breads/biscuits/starches, vegetables, and a few sauces to support them. Then mix and match, and once you have enough general knowledge you can invent meal plans without help.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:13:00 pm by Solifuge »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #48317 on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:28 pm »

Forget about your retirement plan and clean out your debts. If the bank that has your plan goes bust, you might or  might not recover part of the money. However, you can be sure that if the bank you owe money to goes bust, someone will come around to make sure ylur checks keep going in.
I don't actually see these guys going out of business but I suppose it could happen. I'll keep the possibility in mind, anyway. Thanks.

And yeah, federal student loan debt is not a thing that goes away without getting paid, is my understanding.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48318 on: June 21, 2012, 12:28:51 pm »

You could always flee the country and renounce your citizenship.
"Haha, Stafford Loan! Try finding me now! Muhahahaha....hey, you gonna eat that piece of yak?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48319 on: June 21, 2012, 01:06:10 pm »

I hear Somalia has some very loose immigration requirements.

But yeah, just dumped $1000+ dollars into my largest loan today, bringing it down to 28k. I have another at 18k one too.

The big one's the worse, because yearly interest is 2200! That means it will, at their default repayment rate, take me like 18 years to pay off. And that's at 300 a month. o____o
Hell no. This things gotta go, ASAP.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #48320 on: June 21, 2012, 01:15:21 pm »

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/06/karen-klein-kids-abuse-bus-monitor-internet-fights-back.html

Awesome that the internet rallied around this, but man. The video is just nasty. :/

The thought of what 4chan will probably do to those kids is consoling, though.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48321 on: June 21, 2012, 01:22:15 pm »

I can give you a quick sample of what some of them might point out.

>Old lady gets picked on
>send her $200,000 dollars
>Children all over the world starving to death
>no video, don't care

I'm certain there's been a study or two (or ten) re: willingness to help victims based on visibility. Has anyone done any reading on the matter?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48322 on: June 21, 2012, 01:33:32 pm »

It's actually pretty hard to get a charging foul in 2k12, though
Remember: I'm a short, fat guy. I know almost nothing about basketball.

It's kind of like punching things, there's this orange ball you have to get into a hoop, and there's five guys trying to stop you from doing it, and you're being paid millions of dollars a year to do this.

Okay maybe not like punching things.
You punch the ball into the hoop, you punch the five guys into submission, you punch the million dollars a year INTO YOUR POCKETS.

It's not like punching things. It is punching things.
[/quote]
I AM NOW RON ARTEST BASKETBALL PUNCHER MAN.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48323 on: June 21, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »

no more privacy in their life? no way to prevent ID theft/credit card theft?

Doubtful. The vast majority of 4chan users that claim to be l33t h@ckm@sters are little more than script kids with no actual capability of their own.

He legally got his name changed to 'Metta World Peace', which is either awesome or depressing depending on how you shake it.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48324 on: June 21, 2012, 01:41:26 pm »

I'm certain there's been a study or two (or ten) re: willingness to help victims based on visibility. Has anyone done any reading on the matter?

I don't think there's any mystery to "People prefer to help solve problems they know about in a way they believe will actually make things better, for someone who clearly deserves it, after which you can wipe your hands of it and no longer worry about but feel you've done a good job."

Good person gets faith in humanity shattered - easy solution! Moving on!

Sending money to feed starving kids you don't know anything about, of which there are so many that the problem seems insurmountable, and anything you do donate will likely end up all going to "officials", thieves or con-men, and at best the money will be a temporary solution to a problem that won't be going away anytime soon...

Let's just say it is not a particularly hard choice which situation people would prefer to focus their efforts on.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48325 on: June 21, 2012, 01:42:29 pm »

Sending money to feed starving kids you don't know anything about, of which there are so many that the problem seems insurmountable, and anything you do donate will likely end up all going to "officials", thieves or con-men, and at best the money will be a temporary solution to a problem that won't be going away anytime soon...

On a related note, Kony 2012! Woo!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48326 on: June 21, 2012, 01:43:52 pm »

He legally got his name changed to 'Metta World Peace', which is either awesome or depressing depending on how you shake it.
"I AM METTA WORLD PEACE, AND I'M HERE TO PUNCH PEOPLE AND TAKE YOUR MONEY."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48327 on: June 21, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »

I AM NOW CHRIS PAUL BALL PUNCHER MAN.
ftfy

(explanation: When Chris Paul was at Wake Forest, there was an infamous incident where he took a quick rabbit punch to NC State player Julius Hodge's nether regions during a game, dropping him to the floor in agony and sending his brother hurtling from the stands onto the court. Paul would have gotten a royal beatdown had it not been for security. Henceforth, he is always referred to in our house as "Nadwhacker".)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #48328 on: June 21, 2012, 01:47:13 pm »

I don't think there's any mystery to "People prefer to help solve problems they know about in a way they believe will actually make things better, for someone who clearly deserves it, after which you can wipe your hands of it and no longer worry about but feel you've done a good job."

Good person gets faith in humanity shattered - easy solution! Moving on!

Let's just say it is not a particularly hard choice which situation people would prefer to focus their efforts on.

Basically, this. Many people will also feel more inclined to donate to causes that are 'close to home', since many people have the mentality that we should be fixing the problems on our doorstep before the ones in somebody else's neighborhood. I'm not saying that always makes sense, just stating the obvious.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48329 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:10 pm »

Oh, for sure, but here's the interesting part: a video can make 'home' seem a lot closer. That's why I'm wondering if there's been any literature on the effect of visibility on the impulse to help: it's a well known fact that visibility will result in reactions, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 3220 3221 [3222] 3223 3224 ... 8167