Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3214 3215 [3216] 3217 3218 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9422892 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48225 on: June 19, 2012, 04:08:47 pm »

CEO Aaron A. Aaronsen probably likes the system as it is.
This is a blank sig.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48226 on: June 19, 2012, 04:50:02 pm »

I don't know, I'd like to see the case of Aaaron vs. Some Company.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48227 on: June 19, 2012, 04:53:35 pm »

I posted a subtle jab at my creationist friends on facebook ("was walking Roxy and saw a license plate, DBA 8231. Can you believe that? Out of all the millions of possible combinations. The odds are too low, someone did that on purpose.").  The biggest one of them all liked it.  I guess it was a little too subtle, I thought about saying "The odds are too low, it was intelligently designed" but that was too obvious.
If they genuinely think that everything is decided by an intelligence then they'll just agree.

But more seriously, that is pretty ridiculous. Would that qualify as a form of discrimination?
I... suppose so?  A really weird form of discrimination.  The only similar thing I heard about was in Spain, where they changed "The default surname for a child is the father's" to "the default surname is the one which is earlier in the alphabet".  While the old one was sexist it at least didn't lead to the possibility of gradually homogenising names.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48228 on: June 19, 2012, 04:55:03 pm »

I... suppose so?  A really weird form of discrimination.  The only similar thing I heard about was in Spain, where they changed "The default surname for a child is the father's" to "the default surname is the one which is earlier in the alphabet".  While the old one was sexist it at least didn't lead to the possibility of gradually homogenising names.

I don't think it works like that. At least I've never heard about it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48229 on: June 19, 2012, 05:15:04 pm »

Not sure if this belonds in the sad or rage thread...

Had a group meeting at work today.  Our manager wanted to talk to us about our drastically falling productivity.  Everyone else brought up the usual excuses and the manager repeated the usual responses. This included the usual threats that have been carried out before such as mandatory overtime, mandatory daily number that you can't leave until you achieve, or taking a turn sitting behind everyone for an entire day to watch what they do.  During several quiet pauses, I simply said "Morale" and was completely ignored.

So I wrote this little allegory.  I'm thinking about e-mailing it to my manager, but I get the feeling that would be a bad idea.

We are all ants.  This workplace is an ant farm, owned by _____.  Every day, _____ places hunks of bread on our backs, and asks us to carry them to their stash.  In return, they break off for us a single crumb from that hunk of bread to have as our own.  We do this every day for years, and expect to do so until we die. 

Every once in a while, the hunk of bread we're expected to carry grows larger.  The crumb we're offered in return never grows larger.  Sometimes it even shrinks.  Meanwhile, _____ likes to brag to us about the growing size of their stash.  Sometimes we slow down.  This could be for many reasons.  We might be tired, depressed, demotivated by the shrinking size of our crumb, or just hit the limits of our strength.  It doesn't matter.  _____ doesn't care about our problems.  The hunk of bread we're expected to carry will never shrink.  Our crumb reward will never grow. 

There are many things that _____ could do to help.  They could bring in more ants to share the load.  They could reward their ants with larger crumbs.  These things will never happen, because _____ would have to accept a slower growth rate for their stash.

_____ has only one response for those who slow down -- the threat of exile and starvation.  There are so many starving ants in the world who would love to be let into the _____ ant farm for those meager crumbs.  When an ant slows down, a finger descends in preparation to flick them away.  A shock of fear spurs the ant into a sprint, but it's foolish to expect that these adrenaline boosts can be sustained.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48230 on: June 19, 2012, 05:17:42 pm »

You could register an account through tor to mail it
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48231 on: June 19, 2012, 05:18:59 pm »

Also, it makes me sad that there are people trying to illegally screw us over night shifts.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48232 on: June 19, 2012, 05:24:51 pm »

Hilarious suggestion, but I think the e-mail is only accessible over the company's internal network.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48233 on: June 19, 2012, 05:25:41 pm »

If you're afraid of loosing your job, do this.
NINJAEDIT: bluh

Though, personally, I would've just sent it to him.

Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48234 on: June 19, 2012, 05:42:20 pm »

Also;

I'm sad because I'm slowly worse at socializing. I often end up ignoring what other people say when I'm thinking about something - which is almost all the time. I have to actively try to listen to other people.

This.

And I'm a useless waste of everyone's time and resources that should go die in a hole.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48235 on: June 19, 2012, 05:44:56 pm »

I thought everyone did that. We all just pretend

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48236 on: June 19, 2012, 06:01:31 pm »

First: Why did you use a 2.5 year old quote?
Second: I wish I could ignore people easily. I have problems with filtering.
Third:
And I'm a useless waste of everyone's time and resources that should go die in a hole.
This is probably not true. I know you haven't wasted my time, so your argument is fundamentally flawed.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48237 on: June 19, 2012, 06:06:34 pm »

Probably because it was a page 1 quote.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48238 on: June 19, 2012, 06:09:36 pm »

I thought everyone did that. We all just pretend

Yes. That's right. Sorry, sometimes I just get so into it... It's almost as if I'm actually there!

Second: I wish I could ignore people easily. I have problems with filtering.
Third:
This is probably not true. I know you haven't wasted my time, so your argument is fundamentally flawed.

Because it was still applicable.

That's odd; so do I. I hate conversations with multiple people or in noisy places because of that... Also, because I tend to get crowded out by pretty much everyone and anyone.

Because emotions are highly logical.
Also, I made you type that post. And read this one.
I WIN! :P

NINJAEDIT:
Probably because it was a page 1 quote.

Oh yeah that too.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48239 on: June 19, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »

I didn't think most people cared to read through the backlogs of the Sad Thread. I started doing so, but stopped after realizing it would take me a year to catch up at the rate I was going, not including new posts. Not all threads should be read in full before posting in. Posts like these can lose relevance over time, too.
I hate conversations with multiple people or in noisy places because of that... Also, because I tend to get crowded out by pretty much everyone and anyone.
I have troubles hearing voices through background noises and have a general dislike for crowds. I can empathize.
I made you type that post. And read this one.
Ah, but I chose to do both, because I enjoy doing so. You'll have to try harder if you want to waste my time. :P
Pages: 1 ... 3214 3215 [3216] 3217 3218 ... 8167