Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3212 3213 [3214] 3215 3216 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419510 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48195 on: June 19, 2012, 01:52:49 am »

Have successfully scared both him and his parents away from it. Mission a-freaking-complished.... Wait a minute, I went to law school.... O, son of a bitch, even when I win I lose. It's like paying monopoly with Bernie Madoff. :P

Eliminating the competition before it has a chance to compete? Very cunning, Ms Machiavelli :P

I meant to mention it, but I forgot. I'm having trouble focusing on reading. I'm never much good at it, but it's worse than usual now. Usually, if people are talking I won't be able to focus. Now, my thoughts are distracting me. I have to be in the right mindset to read, and I'm having trouble achieving that. So if I sit down to read, it will end up with a lot of unpleasant time wasted.
Also, I don't have to read the textbook. I've gotten by for the last two weeks in class without reading the book. That really isn't helping motivate me to read it. :/
I'll try to do what you suggested, though. It might help. Thanks.

Trouble focusing is actually one of the symptoms of depression. Losing the ability to read is pretty common, or at least so my psychiatrist told me. I haven't read a book in years, even though I used to be one of those kids that always had their faces stuck in one before, and it's not that I don't want to, it's just impossible to do. Same with writing and drawing. I even have to break up up really long posts and internet articles... And hell, the only reason I spend so much time on the internet or playing games is that with the lack of a social life (also because of depression - yay downward circles!) it's the only thing I know of that provides enough quick content and distractions to be able to "concentrate" on it...

This post was supposed to be about you, but somehow of ended up being about me. It also made me sad.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48196 on: June 19, 2012, 01:59:55 am »

I meant to mention it, but I forgot. I'm having trouble focusing on reading. I'm never much good at it, but it's worse than usual now. Usually, if people are talking I won't be able to focus. Now, my thoughts are distracting me. I have to be in the right mindset to read, and I'm having trouble achieving that. So if I sit down to read, it will end up with a lot of unpleasant time wasted.
Also, I don't have to read the textbook. I've gotten by for the last two weeks in class without reading the book. That really isn't helping motivate me to read it. :/
I'll try to do what you suggested, though. It might help. Thanks.

Trouble focusing is actually one of the symptoms of depression. Losing the ability to read is pretty common, or at least so my psychiatrist told me. I haven't read a book in years, even though I used to be one of those kids that always had their faces stuck in one before, and it's not that I don't want to, it's just impossible to do. Same with writing and drawing. I even have to break up up really long posts and internet articles... And hell, the only reason I spend so much time on the internet or playing games is that with the lack of a social life (also because of depression - yay downward circles!) it's the only thing I know of that provides enough quick content and distractions to be able to "concentrate" on it...

This post was supposed to be about you, but somehow of ended up being about me. It also made me sad.

Can relate.  I used to have the longest attention span on the planet.  Now I can't even listen to mellow music...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48197 on: June 19, 2012, 02:13:15 am »

Trouble focusing is actually one of the symptoms of depression. Losing the ability to read is pretty common, or at least so my psychiatrist told me.
I didn't know this. I can still read, but it's even more difficult than usual.
Jumping around with brief snippets is one of the best things about reading forums; the short and/or condensed points, combined with varying writing styles, helps hold attention.
I don't know if it would be any better, but have you tried reading House of Leaves or Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski? I find them to be an easier read in this sense than other books. Also, manga.
Read through some of my textbook earlier; 20 pages, 1.5 hours. Better than nothing. Maybe.
The fact that I always have music in my head makes it a bit harder to concentrate as well.
I think I've evened out to a level melancholy. About time to go lie down and see what tomorrow brings. I slept for 11.5 hours last night, for some reason.

Can relate.  I used to have the longest attention span on the planet.  Now I can't even listen to mellow music...
Do you like post-rock? I very rarely can lie around and listen to music, but Hadoken keeps my attention. Other post-rock bands might, too.

Listening to some music earlier, I got some amazing imagery in my mind, but I have no drawing skill at all. This made me a bit sad.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48198 on: June 19, 2012, 02:30:12 am »

I don't know if it would be any better, but have you tried reading House of Leaves or Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski? I find them to be an easier read in this sense than other books. Also, manga.

Not English/American, so these books do not exist in my cultural literasphere. Heard a lot about House of Leaves here on the forums though, and been meaning to check it up sometime, but haven't so far. I have no interest in manga either, not to mention the whole "read from the right" makes them damn hard to flow through anyway ;)
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48199 on: June 19, 2012, 02:30:24 am »

Do you like post-rock? I very rarely can lie around and listen to music, but Hadoken keeps my attention. Other post-rock bands might, too.

Listening to some music earlier, I got some amazing imagery in my mind, but I have no drawing skill at all. This made me a bit sad.

I mostly listen to metal or intense electronic stuff these days.  I used to be able to listen to anything, no matter how calm or drawn out.  I could listen to Pink Floyd - Echoes without getting impatient.

Edit:

Reading The Anime Art of Hayao Miyazaki by Dani Cavallaro.  I just noticed that Howl's Moving Castle is from 2004.  That's 8 years old already.  Feels like yesterday.  Crap.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:22:59 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48200 on: June 19, 2012, 04:41:05 am »

Grandmother's seriously outstayed her welcome, but I'm far too shy/nervous to ask her to leave. I've probably got another week and a half of her enforcing the way she wants me to live before she'll go. If not more.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48201 on: June 19, 2012, 04:43:39 am »

Egh, that doesn't sound like fun.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #48202 on: June 19, 2012, 05:34:22 am »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48203 on: June 19, 2012, 06:03:02 am »

We just had an earthquake.

Not a sad, really, but what makes me sad is that Australia's seismology website has promptly gone down. :P

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #48204 on: June 19, 2012, 06:05:27 am »

And by 'earthquake' we mean 'mild vibration'
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48205 on: June 19, 2012, 06:10:07 am »

Bah, Blarg, you're stealing my thunder. Or quake. I dunno.

Least down where I am it caused things on my desk to move, and the windows to rattle quite severely.

Inb4 'that's just a tremor'

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48206 on: June 19, 2012, 06:14:05 am »

Spoiler: Indeed (click to show/hide)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48207 on: June 19, 2012, 06:31:46 am »

I posted a subtle jab at my creationist friends on facebook ("was walking Roxy and saw a license plate, DBA 8231. Can you believe that? Out of all the millions of possible combinations. The odds are too low, someone did that on purpose.").  The biggest one of them all liked it.  I guess it was a little too subtle, I thought about saying "The odds are too low, it was intelligently designed" but that was too obvious.
No no, it's better to keep it that way.  You make double the amount of friends loyal minions!
Fixed for you.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48208 on: June 19, 2012, 10:38:49 am »

Okay Sad Thread, looks like it's time for me to get my Sage Wisdom on:

How the fuck do I deal with an outright sociopath I have to live with?

I won't go into details, but I'm forced to live with someone due to financial reasons. This person has absolutely 0 respect for me whatsoever. I have no privacy, no opinion worth listening to, and no purpose to living other than serving her whims. A while back I realized she has not spoken 1. single. word. to me in YEARS that wasn't a demand to do something (oft thinly veiled as a request). I literally do not remember anything resembling a conversation. It's 1 sided demands every time, every day. And the moment I speak up, I'm the bad guy. So I'm silent. I do not respond. I'm distant and feigning that I don't care. And it's killing me.

Sounds like you need to stop putting your own concerns aside, and draw a boundary. I've had similar experiences, and the only thing achieved by ignoring a vampire and never calling them on their shit is making you suffer, while also preventing them from changing for the better... all for the sake of some feigned functionality and happiness at home. For her sake, and mostly for yours, you have to bring it up. The fact that you're venting about it to us means that you have something to discuss with her; we cannot improve your situation, nor does it help you to go on ignoring it. Just approach it from a positive perspective of making things better for the both of you, and stop shying away from speaking your mind.

One of my friends' kids is seriously set on going to law school.... ???

Let me explain why this is a bad idea. Let someone else explain why this is a bad idea.

I'mma be a bit presumptuous here... but check yourself, Truean. Sharing your professional experiences with the young is one thing, but be careful you're not leading a campaign of terror against them and their dreams because you're unhappy with how things are where you're at. It's our job to make decisions for ourselves... even as young starry-eyed idealists. If financial reasons were the kids primary motivation for becoming a Lawyer, good on you for raising that point. Just recognize that people get into the profession for reasons other than money, as I assume you know too well. If you're scaring away young folks from law rather than encouraging them to grow up and do it right, then you're doing neither them, the future of your profession, nor society at large any favors.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:02:15 am by Solifuge »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48209 on: June 19, 2012, 11:07:57 am »

I have no interest in manga either, not to mention the whole "read from the right" makes them damn hard to flow through anyway ;)
Its worse once you've read enough of it that you try and read normal comics like that.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 3212 3213 [3214] 3215 3216 ... 8167