Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3202 3203 [3204] 3205 3206 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9415419 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48045 on: June 16, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:08:41 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48046 on: June 16, 2012, 01:42:46 pm »

So i deal with customers that can't accept the fact that they lost data on their computer and my 100 dollar charge should be able resurrect their harddrive that got toasted from thunderstorms and donkey kicked to the wall instead of the $1000 clean room charges that even they can't guarantee data recovery. Its like im a fucking wizard that helps all your goddamn electric problems.

"Well isn't it online then?"
"Did you setup online backup?"
"No"
"Then no its not backup"
"It can't just disappear on me on its own!"
"YES IT FUCKING CAN, YOU AREN'T GOD NOR AM I"

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48047 on: June 16, 2012, 01:57:38 pm »

So i deal with customers that can't accept the fact that they lost data on their computer and my 100 dollar charge should be able resurrect their harddrive that got toasted from thunderstorms and donkey kicked to the wall instead of the $1000 clean room charges that even they can't guarantee data recovery. Its like im a fucking wizard that helps all your goddamn electric problems.

"No"
"Then no its not backup"

"You mean you aren't a wizard who can waive a magic wand and make the world the way I want it while recognizing that my perfect self could never possibly make a mistake and do all this for free?" <--- If customers were honest about their expectations.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48048 on: June 16, 2012, 02:01:41 pm »

"No"
"Then no its not backup"

"You mean you aren't a wizard who can waive a magic wand and make the world the way I want it while recognizing that my perfect self could never possibly make a mistake and do all this for free?" <--- If customers were honest about their expectations.
surely that's too intelligent for a customer...

Eh, I think they know on some level, but won't admit they ever screw up. Seriously, people bitch that it takes 6 minutes to microwave dinner when half the world has no food to speak of.... Everything is "stupid" or something they're implicitly too cool for.... Not exactly.... This leads to people sitting around all day drinking and complaining. Clearly, these are the champions....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:03:25 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48049 on: June 16, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »

Some people. Only some. Well, maybe a majority, I'unno. Some of us are really damn grateful it only takes a half hour to cook something and there's actually something of middling decent quality to cook, though.

We're probably quieter about things, though. Not as noisy when things are going better than could be, usually.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48050 on: June 16, 2012, 07:53:06 pm »

I'm going to ask a stupid question, but just in case: you're sure you're not attracted to her, are you?
My attraction to women is minimal at best.  I have female friends and like hanging out with women, and wouldn't necessarily object to romantic involvement with a woman, but they simply don't catch my eye like men do.  To quote a friend, she realized I was gay the first day she met me because straight men have a certain subtle inflection in their voice when they talk to women that screams "I LIEK TEH BUUBS!11!"  I don't have that inflection (toward women at least...), so when I talk to women I subconsciously see them as friends and only friends.

So I'm employed at my school as a writing tutor and as a proctor for the tutoring room.  I got my first session of training today, and the proctor tutoring me was a total nerd, pretty cute, sarcastically funny, likes Daria, and we both seem to know a lot of similar internet/nerd/geek jokes.  I half expected us to start pinging obscure references until we reached some sort of ninth level of obscure references where only the most nerdiest nerds would understand.  I really would want to date her, we seem to have a lot in common.

EXCEPT SHE'S A WOMAN AND I'M A GAY MAN APSDFJHKLSGDJH  *siiiiiiiiigh*
I'll be ready with the welcome mat if you decide to come closer to a four on the kinsey scale.
*googles* Is there an online test for such things? :O

You could be bi in denial, because the shock of realise you as a faithful Christian liked men was big enough to go into denial about it. I say go for it, Euld! Explore your bisexuality! :P
I see what you did there.
I'm confused at what you're trying to say XD  Discovering I liked men was never really a shock.  I originally became Christian in order to become straight, then stopped being Christian once I realized I had nothing to fear about people knowing I was gay.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48051 on: June 16, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »

edit: wrong thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48052 on: June 16, 2012, 08:31:54 pm »

So I'm employed at my school as a writing tutor and as a proctor for the tutoring room.  I got my first session of training today, and the proctor tutoring me was a total nerd, pretty cute, sarcastically funny, likes Daria, and we both seem to know a lot of similar internet/nerd/geek jokes.  I half expected us to start pinging obscure references until we reached some sort of ninth level of obscure references where only the most nerdiest nerds would understand.  I really would want to date her, we seem to have a lot in common.

EXCEPT SHE'S A WOMAN AND I'M A GAY MAN APSDFJHKLSGDJH  *siiiiiiiiigh*
I'll be ready with the welcome mat if you decide to come closer to a four on the kinsey scale.
*googles* Is there an online test for such things? :O

I...didn't realize that there was a need for such things. I'm talking about this. I'm probably a 3.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48053 on: June 16, 2012, 08:34:54 pm »

That scale really needs to be two dimensional, with one axis being varying attraction to males, and the other being varying attraction to females, to account for things like being asexual, or Harknes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48054 on: June 16, 2012, 08:40:33 pm »

I'm confused at what you're trying to say XD  Discovering I liked men was never really a shock.  I originally became Christian in order to become straight, then stopped being Christian once I realized I had nothing to fear about people knowing I was gay.

I'm assuming he's raising the possibility of something I've seen in person:
Person acts straight, realizes they like those of same gender. Does everything they can to deny or change it, because liking men makes them gay and being gay is bad. Once they fail to be not attracted to people they are attracted to, and realize denying it doesn't work, they will embrace it - they decide that they are, in fact, gay. The problem, of course, being that they are still operating under the mistaken "if I like people of he same gender I must be gay" assumption that got them into the whole mess in the first place.

They then proceed to have a second crisis of faith when they realize they like people of the opposite gender as well! (Though often not as much, or they wouldn't have made it out of the denial stage).

Of course, despite being something that does happen, there's no particular reason for me to believe it happened for you. :P

And none of this is probably relevant to the topic at hand anyway.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48055 on: June 16, 2012, 08:42:53 pm »

I'm assuming he's raising the possibility of something I've seen in person:
Person acts straight, realizes they like those of same gender. Does everything they can to deny or change it, because liking men makes them gay and being gay is bad. Once they fail to be not attracted to people they are attracted to, and realize denying it doesn't work, they will embrace it - they decide that they are, in fact, gay. The problem, of course, being that they are still operating under the mistaken "if I like people of he same gender I must be gay" assumption that got them into the whole mess in the first place.

They then proceed to have a second crisis of faith when they realize they like people of the opposite gender as well! (Though often not as much, or they wouldn't have made it out of the denial stage).

Of course, despite being something that does happen, there's no particular reason for me to believe it happened for you. :P

And none of this is probably relevant to the topic at hand anyway.
But it's fun to think about. Also, locker rooms as a budding bisexual early teenager are awkward.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48056 on: June 16, 2012, 08:48:22 pm »

The kinsey scale's bogus, but easy to understand. A more accurate one would be two bars representing homo and heterosexual attraction. You can be 100% of one and 0% of the other, 100% of both (bi), or 0% of both (asexual).

I'm something like 90% heterosexual and 20% homosexual. Bi with a hetero bias.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48057 on: June 16, 2012, 08:52:35 pm »

That scale really needs to be two dimensional, with one axis being varying attraction to males, and the other being varying attraction to females, to account for things like being asexual, or Harknes.
The kinsey scale's bogus, but easy to understand. A more accurate one would be two bars representing homo and heterosexual attraction. You can be 100% of one and 0% of the other, 100% of both (bi), or 0% of both (asexual).

I'm something like 90% heterosexual and 20% homosexual. Bi with a hetero bias.
My thoughts exactly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48058 on: June 16, 2012, 08:53:54 pm »

What's Harkness?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48059 on: June 16, 2012, 08:55:18 pm »

What's Harkness?
Apparently, a man from Doctor Who/Torchwood that will hump anything vaguely humanoid.

Pages: 1 ... 3202 3203 [3204] 3205 3206 ... 8166